How to jack up an older car and educate me on car repairs

Just buy a $1000 beater as a bike car. Trying to do this with the Firebird is wild. What happens when something lets lose or you drop the bike on the car?

Walter, your necessity is typically, the mother of invention, but this one doesn't need to be invented.

Better yet, just UBER XL to the park you want to ride.

Regardless I think youv nailed the door shut on me ever getting one with that story.(not that ibwas likely to get one before either)
Even if the only possible cause of failure was operator error (i.e. applying the sucker on a dirty painted surface) why would anybody even consider using those contraptions?

I think that on an early morning, setting up the bike on a run of the mill hitch carrier when on my way to a group ride, I would be perfectly capable to forget something that would result in a catastrophic event without any additional help from the equipment...

And would you drive in front or behind said convo? The possibilities for a flying bike are endless with any of the pictured setups...one of the worst (or best, depending the point of view) includes an old car bonnet flying off with a bike attached to it...
I get more freaked driving down 78 at 70mph with the hood rattling. Planning to get some hood cables should the latch gets undone, but not hood locks. @UtahJoe where do I find them?

Thanks for posting this. It's the first time iv read of one actually letting go even with how sketchy the concept seems.
@GSTim but that was the old single cup design up front? On my first use on the back on a sedan, the rear cup did lose pressure, but tbh was more of use error as it was not the flattest section of the trunk lid.

oh my dear $%^&*()_ god....how did I just see this now???? I now know what it feels like to be @Carson...my hands are shaking lol.

Stop PLEASE.....take that sea sucker piece of shit off the car, then run it over with the car.

I can't believe you put that walmart bike rack on you're trunk....my head exploded.

I have traveled with my bike in the mustang twice....I took the wheels off the bike....wrapped it completely in 2 heavy moving blankets, then placed it inside the car.

The only way to do this properly is to put a hitch on the car so you never have to lift the bike over the car or put anything onto the body panels/paint. Nobody has yet made a hitch for a 67 mustang....I have designed one, but then im like...."im really going to go thru all of this trouble to carry my bike around on my mustang?"

I am reading between the lines here, but did your bike drop from that Allen trunk mounted rack? I am wondering how it happened as that thing even though cheap, works pretty well provided its secured tightly all around.

Think your best bet might be what others have mentioned, remove both wheels and put the bike in the back seat on top of a moving blanket. Stick the wheels up front (if they fit) or in the back with the rest of the bike.

I didn't do it with a classic Firebird, but I used to carry a complete bike in the trunk of my 2005 Subaru Impreza. Both wheels came off and the frame/fork fit in the trunk (barely) and I put the wheels on top. Think I had a few blankets back there so that the wheels didn't scratch the bike. Wasn't as easy as a rack, but it certainly worked. And it's actually nice traveling with a complete bike inside the car, so long as you have the room for it.

Damn. This reminds me of a friend that had an Audi TT convertible.
When we golfed (don’t judge) he had to put the top down and his clubs rode shotgun.
Useless vehicle.

I think @GSTim had a very early version of seasucker. He gifted it to me I think? I never did anything with it and gave it to another. That said, I have the current gen mini bomber and I’ve been on hwy a few times no problems. If it’s just me I’ll put the bike in the car.

Well, I have three convertibles. I have always liked the idea of driving to the trials with one but I have vehicle options. I bought one of these on a slickdeal to do so but I’ve never opened it for two years
IMG_6498.jpeg

you seem to be looking for something to do. I vote motorcycle
IMG_6499.jpeg

Last edited:
I am aware. I was referring to Mostly Great Britain where cars have boots, bonnets, & wings.
And hoods... which don't cover the engine compartment...

As mentioned, 4 out of my 5 toy/classic cars are British. The 5th is Swedish and their terms for body bits generally translate to American English - at least in the service manuals.

Years ago I stuffed my road bike into the back of my GT6. Wheels off, of course. Very tight fit. I stuff a road bike into the back of my MINI fairly often - when I drop it off or pick it up from the inspection shop. Also with both wheels off.

Back
Top Bottom