Lake Hopatcong Liffy Island Trails (?)

Davis1451

Hiking around Liffy Island and saw a number of side trails that looked like some features had been put up along with a number of side trails. Looked like some freerider stuff along with evidence of motorcycles getting in there (illegally). Interested in what is going on there as it is close to home and my become my quick evening ride location.

MarioGed

A bunch of local guys ride there and have build few trails on the island and in the woods across the pedestrian bridge. Nothing official. Sometimes a ride gets posted on meetup to ride these trails. Usually on Saturday mornings.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A bunch of local guys ride there and have build few trails on the island and in the woods across the pedestrian bridge. Nothing official. Sometimes a ride gets posted on meetup to ride these trails. Usually on Saturday mornings.
It actually is semi official. I used to help build when I lived on the lake. This guy Darren went to Jefferson township several years ago and got a proposal approved to clean up the property with rights to build “recreational” trails between liffy, prospect park, and all the way out to mason street. The town may not know there are like 5’ drops and berms being out in on the island but…eh?. The trails are sort of enduro style with some tech climbs up the mountain and pretty fast downhills back to the island with plenty of rollers, drops, etc. it can get pretty confusing if you don’t know the route because there are still a bunch of kids making their own illegal moto stuff back there.

Here’s their Instagram https://instagram.com/lake_hopatcong_trails?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

And the Strava club - they usually post group rides in here and it’s he best way to learn the system.

Try to check out a group ride if you can. They are great guys to ride with.

Davis1451

It actually is semi official. I used to help build when I lived on the lake. This guy Darren went to Jefferson township several years ago and got a proposal approved to clean up the property with rights to build “recreational” trails between liffy, prospect park, and all the way out to mason street. The town may not know there are like 5’ drops and berms being out in on the island but…eh?. The trails are sort of enduro style with some tech climbs up the mountain and pretty fast downhills back to the island with plenty of rollers, drops, etc. it can get pretty confusing if you don’t know the route because there are still a bunch of kids making their own illegal moto stuff back there.

Here’s their Instagram https://instagram.com/lake_hopatcong_trails?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

And the Strava club - they usually post group rides in here and it’s he best way to learn the system.

Try to check out a group ride if you can. They are great guys to ride with.
During some explorations I saw that there are signs around the Mason Street end about private property, but it looked like trails leading up to it. Was wanting to be able to ride to the trails and get in around Mason Street. Currently at ground zero fitness wise and older, but hit the rides since I am about a 5 to 10 minute ride to the Prospect Point trailhead.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
During some explorations I saw that there are signs around the Mason Street end about private property, but it looked like trails leading up to it. Was wanting to be able to ride to the trails and get in around Mason Street. Currently at ground zero fitness wise and older, but hit the rides since I am about a 5 to 10 minute ride to the Prospect Point trailhead.
Yeah it does run right up to some residences on Mason street. I’m not real sure where you could cut through. If you’re riding in from that side probably easier to find a cut in from Prospect pt rd just past mason. There’s a small gravel lot with a trailhead if you ride A little bit farther down prospect.

This is mostly everything
1677425357033.png

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was under the impression that Hopatcong was like the wild wild West as far as lakes go.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was under the impression that Hopatcong was like the wild wild West as far as lakes go.
Depends which part you go to. The Andover side seems like it could get kind of sketchy over near the state park and all that stuffs. I lived pretty much at the end of the lake on the Jefferson side and it was awesome. 2mi ride to this spot and 3mi ride to saffron pond at Mahlon. To be fair tho, Wild West spots are usually perfect for building sketchy mtb features… Glen Park has an entire homeless community living in this middle of it.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Depends which part you go to. The Andover side seems like it could get kind of sketchy over near the state park and all that stuffs. I lived pretty much at the end of the lake on the Jefferson side and it was awesome. 2mi ride to this spot and 3mi ride to saffron pond at Mahlon. To be fair tho, Wild West spots are usually perfect for building sketchy mtb features… Glen Park has an entire homeless community living in this middle of it.
I was actually talking about (drunk) boating on the lake itself. :popo:

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Missed opportunity to call it the boat launch
I think it got named Walk the Plank or something. I like Boat Launch better lol. There’s a big deck drop thing out there that for named the Poop Deck. I guess they are keeping with the theme 😂

I sent the video Dave posted above of Jason “the muppet” front flipping off that drop and they legit renamed it and put a muppet on it 🤣 I think they also added some caution “drop” signs around the park after that lol.

Ironjunk

Took a little tour today. Found the boat jump, has a gnarly rocky run in. Everything is well maintained. Some of the features are nuts, steep takeoffs with flat transitions and short landings.

Top Bottom