The 2017 "I'm a bike racer so I'm going to complain about everything" thread

I saw Geith Karrison reg'd for DCCX in 4/5 race, is this true?

I miss the 4/5 race at the end of day. UCI race should be in the middle of the day when the most people can watch it.

4/5 with a separate 5 podium.

IT'S SO SIMPLE!

Early drive how will be clutch. Way to be on top of reg.

Why bother with a separate 5 podium at all? Let newbies earn their stripes by getting their 10 (or however many it is now) races in, if they're fast they'll podium and upgrade more quickly. I'm sure there's been plenty of cat 5's to podium 4/5 races over the years. Faster cat 4s can choose to race the 2/3/4. Cat 4's for life can race the 4/5 and complain about waking up to race at 8am for eternity.

Why bother with a separate 5 podium at all? Let newbies earn their stripes by getting their 10 (or however many it is now) races in, if they're fast they'll podium and upgrade more quickly. I'm sure there's been plenty of cat 5's to podium 4/5 races over the years. Faster cat 4s can choose to race the 2/3/4. Cat 4's for life can race the 4/5 and complain about waking up to race at 8am for eternity.
Those Cat 4/5 fields are twice as big as the dwindling 3 field.

There were 114 finishers at whirlybird in the 4/5 compared to 45 in the cat 3/4.

USAC needs to be force upgrading 4's and start counting podiums as a cat 5 in a 4/5 field towards Cat 3 upgrades.

This trend even continues at MAC UCI events

HPCX 2016 78 Cat 4/5 compared to 30 Cat 3.

MAC ditched the 2's in the B field to encourage more UCI racers but no one is slotting in to fill their place. The Killer B field is now more of a exhausted cough field.

Nittany 2014 Cat 4/5 98 finishers compared to 106 2/3/4 finishers (45 Men UCI)

Nittany 2016 114 finishers in Cat 4/5 compared to 61 in Cat 3. (62 UCI Men)

We gotta expedite upgrades from the 4/5 cats into 3's.

What Charm and DCCX did adding back the 2's in the B is great, but by separating the 4's from the 4/5 you are most likely chasing away reg's of other Killer B Racers. If they fill the Cat 5 I will be impressed and will need to reassess my stance on this.

I may go as far to say if they fill the 5 they should make way for a Cat 5, Cat 4 and Cat 2/3 race. Maybe at the costs of one of the Masters categories.

USAC needs to be force upgrading 4's and counting podiums as a 5 in a Cat 4/5 field towards Cat 3 upgrades

Totally agree with this. And dont discount the start times. I've been a middle of the pack 3 guy and I've been lining up to start my races after 2:30 for 3 years. It never changes.
Give the 3's a 930 start time and the field will be huge. We'll be drunk by noon and cheering the rest of the races.

We'll be drunk by noon and cheering the rest of the races.
100% in for this.
USAC needs to be force upgrading 4's and start counting podiums as a cat 5 in a 4/5 field towards Cat 3 upgrades.

This. I was just speaking with a coworker, not more than 15 minutes ago about this. He's a CT guy, so his choice of races is limited. His third race, ever, was last weekend at Hartford. He was 8th of 88 in the 4/5 race. Turns out the 3rd place guy, who he was talking to after the race, has had enough MANDATORY points since the middle of 2016 to move to the 3's. Dudeman said he likes the morning start times cause his kids have soccer. I told coworker to tell USAC official at the next race.

Meanwhile racing in Germany costs 5 Euro entry. I was invited to race a crit in Germany last year on the former Army post where I was stationed. I knew the promoter. Germans being rules-oriented folk required that I present an International License. I didn't race when USA Cycling wanted me to pony up $200 to do a single race as a guest. OK, sort of off topic, but equally bullshit. No wonder we get creamed in international competition in the sport we invented.

IMG_2371.jpg
I did the needful...

Because it came up today. Registration Price increases. Why? Does the venue price change? Does the vendor price change? Does the Permit change? Does the amount USAC takes change?

The answer is no. There is no reason for the increase. It's DUMB.

Also, why not make the last day reg is low be on friday in case people need to get paid first?

NITTANY PRE REG CLOSED AT 3:00PM TODAY.

COMPLAINCOMPLAINCOMPLAINCOMPLAINRARARARARIRACECXRARARARAR

But actually sounds like I'm not the only inattentive procrastinating SOB in the A field who missed out.

3:00PM on Thursday? That's a new one..

Because it came up today. Registration Price increases. Why? Does the venue price change? Does the vendor price change? Does the Permit change? Does the amount USAC takes change?

The answer is no. There is no reason for the increase. It's DUMB.

-Raises the #s of people signed up early on, which helps with registration later as people will sign up for a race with other actual racers in their field.
-Provides an incentive to those who are on the fence about the race to register before plans may change.
-Moves the registration #s earlier so the event manager can plan out logistics. Less of an issue in a cross race, more of an issue in a race where things like food/volunteers/security may change based on # of registrants.

NITTANY PRE REG CLOSED AT 3:00PM TODAY.

COMPLAINCOMPLAINCOMPLAINCOMPLAINRARARARARIRACECXRARARARAR

But actually sounds like I'm not the only inattentive procrastinating SOB in the A field who missed out.

3:00PM on Thursday? That's a new one..
That's a lot of numbers and binders to sort out by Saturday morning. 874 made the deadline.....

my head hurts from reading all this.

i'll stick with mountain biking.

Back
Top Bottom