What have you done to your bike today?

Refresh(ing)

View attachment 235353

View attachment 235352

Still have to put the bottle cages back on, but took her down to the bare frame, cleaned, scrubbed, waxed, and reassembled with new housings/cables. They've not been cut at all since I've owned it, so it was time to shorten everything. Got a chance to work through my spare parts and use the "just-in-case" stuff; I had to take out a bit of space in the downtube stops to properly clear the liner so I could attach the grub seals...but I milled right through the part that was holding the "wing" together, so I had to switch that side for a regular stop. Oh well, I'll get another and figure something out.

I had to roll the tape back a bit, since the last (last, last) time I pulled it off, the bias started unraveling at the taper. Maybe I'll try pinking shears next time, but...probably not. Probably just won't cut a taper...the Newbaum's is pretty flexible, and the end is gonna be covered anyway.

Gotta see if I can find someone who will paint the frame pump tubing to to match the yellow. Not even gonna try to match metallic flake. As soon as the weather gets a bit better, I'll throw the roadie pedals back on.
Spectrum cycles I hear can match anything, but you probably know they are god awful expensive. I always loved the grey Shimano components. Besides Suntour parts the 6400 series is one of my favorites.

Spectrum cycles I hear can match anything, but you probably know they are god awful expensive. I always loved the grey Shimano components. Besides Suntour parts the 6400 series is one of my favorites.

Tom Kellogg closed up shop right before C19, I'm pretty sure.

They're not the same people, but I imagine the work is probably pretty comparable. Haven't heard anything in-industry regarding them.

Installed my on sale fox dropper in the top fuel
20240405_192729.jpg

I recently changed my air shaft from 140 to 150 on a Pike. Still playing around with settings. Should I expect the pressure to be higher, lower or the same.

Inspected the bottom bracket on Betty (the Bucksaw), it had started creaking and I found a bad bearing. Also didn’t find a bearing sleeve in between the bearings nor a tight cinch bolt. Hard to believe it wasn’t creaking before now. Had to order a new one myself.

Tried supporting a not very local LBS, drove 30 minutes there to order one and pick up a few other things. Got the old ‘give me your name and number and I’ll give you a call later’ but they didn’t. Not a complaint, just disappointed. It’s probably a very busy time for them.

Should I be concerned about this scratch on a carbon fiber steerer tube? Brand new bike, looks like it happened during assembly. Was in the process of putting a shorter stem on it but I’m not sure now if this is OK.
IMG_2636.jpeg

Should I be concerned about this scratch on a carbon fiber steerer tube? Brand new bike, looks like it happened during assembly. Was in the process of putting a shorter stem on it but I’m not sure now if this is OK.
View attachment 235979
I would take a picture of it and send it to the manufacture. Also is it just a scratch or any depth to it. Also do you torque all things carbon?

View attachment 235979
I vote for 'No, you shouldn't be concerned'. How is it going to affect anything once it is clamped in by the stem? Just make sure to ride with someone capable to quickly take a picture or even better a video of the catastrophic failure to follow...

I would take a picture of it and send it to the manufacture. Also is it just a scratch or any depth to it. Also do you torque all things carbon?
Yeah, i torque everything especially carbon. I didn’t assemble this though.

On a closer look it appears it’s a mark from the stem. There’s a rough edge on the inside where it mates to the fork steerer, I can flake the raised aluminum off with my fingernail. It matches up perfectly with the scratch as it’s on the same angle.

I vote for 'No, you shouldn't be concerned'. How is it going to affect anything once it is clamped in by the stem? Just make sure to ride with someone capable to quickly take a picture or even better a video of the catastrophic failure to follow...
That’s what I was thinking, it being held/ reinforced by the clamp but you hear horror stories of carbon failure.

Back
Top Bottom