10 spd long Cage derailleur

the schwartz

I mistakenly bought an 11-42 cassette. My derailleur doesn't like the larger sprockets. Would be nice to have those granny gears though...

Are you 100% sure it’s a 10 speed cassette? I believe that when I was on 10 speed XT I had to buy a OneUp granny with special cage to make it a 42T…

"The B-limit screw sets the distance the upper jockey wheel sits from the cogs."

Hmmm. I knew about the H,L limit screws. Never paid attention to this one though. I'll try that in the morning, thanks!

I have 4 bikes still setup 10 speed running 11-42 cassettes with Shimano derailleurs that aren’t supposed to handle that range.

3 are setup with the mentioned goatlink above, and they shift great. The other is setup with an afternarket cage, but I doubt that cage is still sold.

Anyway, the goatlink has woked for me. Its allowed me to change lots of bikes that started as 2x or 3x over to 1x on a budget. All of these have Shimano clutch derailleurs.

I tried without the link just using the b screw and/or a longer b screw but could never dial it in that way.

There are some cheap knockoffs of that goatlink on amazon. I tried one and it ultimately brokenout on the trail so I dont suggest going that route 😎

IMG_1368.jpeg
Ironically I found this one leaning against my car as I just left for work

Last edited:
An 11 speed derailleur will also work
Daughters bike is 10 speed
Running a 10 speed shifter
11 speed chain
11 speed Rd-m8000 derailleur
10 speed sunrace 11-42 cassette

Last edited:
An 11 speed derailleur will also work
Daughters bike is 10 speed
Running a 10 speed shifter
11 speed chain
11 speed Rd-m8000 derailleur
10 speed sunrace 11-42 cassette
that's a good point, since the shifter controls the number of gear clicks rather than the derailleur. I'm actually running an 12 speed Apex Eagle derailleur with 11 speed shifters on my gravel bike.

Back
Top Bottom