2021 Sourlands TM

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
No calendar from the Park Commission yet but they have confirmed that JORBA can schedule trail work! (with prior Park trails committee approval of dates and scope). We also have to fill out a bunch of paperwork (same as always though).
1. The Volunteer Application must be completed one time only.
2. The Release must be completed each calendar year.
3. A VPP Attendance Sheet must also be completed each session.
If you plan to help out at Sourlands this year, you can get a head start and fill out form #1 and #2 and email to Sourlands (at) Jorba.org (or these can be done day-of in the parking lot)
Watch this thread as I will post dates here once confirmed.

**EDIT** just found out they posted dates:
https://www.somersetcountyparks.org/eventsPrograms/ranger/2021 Volunteer Trail Maintenance Dates.pdf
VPP.PNG

Attachments

• Volunteer Application.pdf
    530.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Volunteer Release 2021-Adult.pdf
    172.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Volunteer Release 2021-Minor.pdf
    175 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

JPark

No calendar from the Park Commission yet but they have confirmed that JORBA can schedule trail work! (with prior Park trails committee approval of dates and scope). We also have to fill out a bunch of paperwork (same as always though).
1. The Volunteer Application must be completed one time only.
2. The Release must be completed each calendar year.
3. A VPP Attendance Sheet must also be completed each session.
If you plan to help out at Sourlands this year, you can get a head start and fill out form #1 and #2 and email to Sourlands (at) Jorba.org (or these can be done day-of in the parking lot)
Watch this thread as I will post dates here once confirmed.
Do we need to print, sign and scan or is there a way to fill out the form online?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
George and I went on separate missions today.

Finally raked the switchback on New Shoes where the hikers created that shortcut.
So much nicer. (the shortcut starts at the dry tree in the middle and goes up/left)

1620263255234.png

Cleared some deadfall, raked out the original line for Roaring Rocks (that i can remember) - eyeballed the alternates.
I see those unnaturally placed rocks @J-Dro :D

1620264236821.png

Now the big question. When was the trail from the rock cairn to the stream bed trail "fixed" ?
It used to be straight up the ridge at the end, now there is a nice climb with a switchback.
I wouldn't say it is easy, but it is easier than the Roaring Rock Garden (Nemesis)
Cleared a couple downed trees, and the usual p/u 100 sticks.
I haven't been on it since @Kirt took me up in 2013ish as an alternate to the Nemesis.

Last edited:

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Switchbacks were put in in 2019 after a huge tree fell on the original fall line trail.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Correction! It was Dec 2018. A good unique project of benchcutting mostly dirt at Sourlands:

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Oh, and my separate mission yesterday was clearing out, opening up and adding some new drainage on the lower trails. Doing it in the rain was certainly helpful to see where the water goes. I think i'm "done" with the lower trails besides clearing the drainage, and eventually the re-route of the climb from Lower Trail 1 (orange) to Lower Trail 2 (white). I see the rangers have it flagged but i'm not so sure it's better than the current line. Will try to schedule an official maintenance soon - likely an armoring project.

Patrick

Staff member
Met up with George and Michael today - Got some work done on River Bed.
The section at the top of the Rock Cairn Alternate has been wet all year.
Moved the line uphill and over the rocks.

1620779742624.png

1620779807989.png

Ended as

1620779781064.png

1620781000619.png

Then we went to work on one of the alternate lines above Roaring Rocks.
We were very worried that @JimN and @Soundguy might get bored riding the same old stuff.
George on a test run.

And for @THATmanMANNY

We are considering a bridge u-turn onto the log behind it ;)

THATmanMANNY

Noiice
thanks for the work. I’ll show you a killer Boulder feature one day but it will need like 5 chainsaws to resurrect haha

George sliced that one feature like hot knife through buhtta

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Bump for Wednesday night 6:00. We will be trimming so i'll bring loppers and rakes. If work plays nice, i may squeeze in a short ride beforehand at like 4:30. If you are coming, save time by filling out the 2 forms in the top post, please! You can email signed copies to me or just bring them in-person.

JPark

The Riverbed connector trail is also getting grown in about halfway between Pipeline and Roaring Brooks.

Patrick

Staff member
The Riverbed connector trail is also getting grown in about halfway between Pipeline and Roaring Brooks.

it does that. and that rock is difficult enough to deal with!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions