6-30-2012 Damage Report Anyone?

dkocnj

Anyone ride Estell today after the storms? Any Damage, new trees down? I am getting back from NC on Sunday and hope to hit the trails Monday or Wednesday evening?

moray42

Merman
Haven't been out since the storm. Was there weds, and there were at least a few trees primed to come down at any point so i'm sure something dropped. With all the stuff that was blown down all over the place down here there is likely to be a fair amount of trash around. If we avoid more rain though it may be fairly dry.

Rocks & Water

Estell

A good buddy of mine that I work with lives out that way and said it was hell getting around. Trees where across most of the roads, plus the wires.

Rocks & Water

Estell

Coming back from the shore went by Estell, the park was locked up and shit was down all over. Maybe a new playground from what it might look like, that place was getting like a city park.

dkocnj

I was going to head to Estell tomorrow AM for a July 4 ride after my July 4 Surf. Is the gate on Artesian Well Road closed too? If the gate is closed, am I okay to park outside the gate or will I have a park ranger giving me a hard time?

theranch

I was going to head to Estell tomorrow AM for a July 4 ride after my July 4 Surf. Is the gate on Artesian Well Road closed too? If the gate is closed, am I okay to park outside the gate or will I have a park ranger giving me a hard time?

I know others park outside the gate there. I think Atlantic County might still be in a state of emergency as they're still working on downed trees and trying to restore power to a lot of people so keep that in mind.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
The Artesian Well Rd gate and main park gate are closed. You can normally park outside the gate, the park has no problem with that. I havent been out to check trail conditons since i am still getting my house in order, but i am sure there are a ton of trees down back there.

Rocks & Water

It is bad!

Went out at 6:00pm, there is wood down the trail were you are better off walking ( should of not been on the bike ). Some of the trees that are down looks like a 18 inch bar on the saw will do it but I think the park will not go for that. There is alot of work in there and I didn't even ride that much of the trail. As for a geared bike in there I wouldn't do that. A lot of overhangs that do not look good. I wished I had my bow saw in the truck and get on some of the smaller stuff on the trail or at lease start on some of it. Did move what I could but there is alot of big shit on the trail.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
...the trees that are down looks like a 18 inch bar on the saw will do it but I think the park will not go for that.

We routinely use a 3' monster crosscut (hand powered) saw. As long as enough people show up (to share saw duty) at Ken's next EMP trail work day, we might be able to clear some of that stuff off the trail.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
TM date coming soon. Yep, we have some clearing to do, both undergrowth and fallen trees. My chainsaw hasnt played nice with me since cutting a big oak off of a neighbor's roof the other day, but the 2 person bucksawfromhell will make short work of a lot back there. :D

Is anyone available during the week over the next couple? My weekends are shot until later in the month.

Rocks & Water

I think you have to go see.

Some of the stuff that is down is as big as the wood I help my buddies cut out of the creeks we boat in ( whitewater kayak ). I'm not that good at all with a saw, let alone walking around on a big log cutting off of it. To me it seems there is a lot of work in there. I hope I'm wrong.

moray42

Merman
I am off during the week now. Normally Tues and Weds but that has been up in the air a bit recently with different projects happening at work.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Looks like I will be out on Long Island from tuesday-thursday next week. Monday is a possibility....who would be able to make it? If we cant muster up a few people we will hit it early next week. No weekend TM for me this or next.

pibbles

I'll try to get out this week but it might be tough,wifey is in the hospital recovering from surgery(minor but painful) but maybe I'll get out if I can get free..

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Looks like I will be out on Long Island from tuesday-thursday next week. Monday is a possibility....

I can do this Monday 7/9, after 2:00pm and next Tuesday 7/17 in the AM. Can bring my bucksawfromhell and we still have sj_john's 2 man crosscut saw in the trailer... if a few more people show up. (Thanks John!)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions