6MR TM Emergency Crew Restores Flow

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I think I have some spare trex if it might be needed my wife would love it I can get rid of it just let me know. It’s not a lot but could help

I’ll pass on trex .. I’ve tried it and I prefer wood. PT 2x6’s are always welcome though.

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's
For Immediate Release.
11/4/2019

6MR was not excluded from the devastation of last week's storms. The internet lit up with reports of damage to the beloved boardwalk,
leading up to the concrete bridge. The heartache was real, and the community gasped at the horrific sight. An unnamed source was
quoted, "We don't know what to do, this is an uninsured structure with extensive damage. It may be closed for some time."

View attachment 109807

The call went out late Sunday that repairs were happening first thing Monday morning.
The park steward for Jorba, @jdog, quickly put together an action plan for obtaining materials, and a crew to address the problem.
First a trained sawyer was engaged to clear the dead-fall from the site, and assess any other risks.

View attachment 109810

With a green light, the site was cleared of the dangerous debris. Jason indicated that this would be an opportunity to add some additional interest to the area.
I assumed he wanted to add a double to the boardwalk, or maybe a gap. This was logical, as they are appearing throughout the park. When
asked, he indicated that they are not jumps, but ways to direct water off of the trail. Dean smiled.

View attachment 109809

Materials donated by @THATmanMANNY and others were hauled to the site by @ilikebikes and @Patrick.
The existing spans were damaged beyond use, but could be mined for materials if needed.

The rebuild commenced, and the "interest" would be a little down-n-up section. The idea being if someone were to
fall off, they'd be closer to the ground. The press corp nodded their heads in ignorance.

Two mountain bikers, unaware of the damage, approached with caution. An active construction site can be very intimidating.
They portaged their bikes while construction was halted. Both offered their appreciation for the work, which provided the needed
motivation to finish before their return.

An hour later, the bones were re-set, and the skin was being sewn-up.

View attachment 109811

Within two hours, the finishing touches were happening. The girders from the old spans were used as deck material.
Much of the ruins from the carnage was removed, but some remains to remind us of this day. That and we were getting tired,
and running out of time to get it back to the truck. If you feel so inclined, please haul it up the 4-way intersection coming out of the woods, and pile
it neatly on the edge of the jeep road for future pick-up. Or if you really want to go big, haul it out to the garbage via April Ln.

View attachment 109812

@mbruno paused his ride mid-repair, and surveyed the work. He said not to tell anyone.

@chemgirl and crew rolled through as the official re-opening was happening. We chatted bikes and trails.
The day was not over, so we all went to the next chapter of a more typical Monday.

Tools, training, advocacy, and other necessary materials are supplied by Jorba - then people make projects happen.
Get involved. Donate any combination of time, material, or money. We won't waste it.

View attachment 109814

Edit: Afternoon follow-up

This repair has been applauded by many. In fact nearly all the response was positive.

An angry rider did complain that they sessioned the area for two hours to learn the new lines, to gain an advantage
for the new strava segment. Claiming via their burner account, "The dumbing down of trails continues to be a problem."
Their IP address has been noted.
:D
Man... I thought we talked about this? I was on my lunch "hour"! Awesome work guys. So appreciated. I love showing up after a couple weeks to see new features and better drainage.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
8/27/2022

I'll be at the April lane cul-de-sac around 10:00 if anyone wants to hump material, and lend a hand with some decking replacement.

Bring work gloves.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@GSTim came out to lend a hand. Knocked it out, and a few other bad spots, in 2 hours. Thanks Tim!

94C7DCDD-3679-4A9E-9813-130E0EB58077.jpeg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions