Advanced-Beginner Trails; Burlington area?

walked

Moved here a couple years ago and found peace with most of my personal riding being at the downhill park (judge if ya must, with 3 kids and sports/hobbies its been tough to thoroughly explore trail systems locally).

That said, the kids (7/8) have started to pick up an interest in joining at the downhill park. I've got them both signed up for an intro downhill clinic designed for kids in June, however I'm trying to find some local trail systems that are a bit "more" (we're close to Wharton and Hartford Crossing which are both pretty benign at this point).

Trying to find something with some more challenging downhill sections and/or more varied terrain, but not entirely sure where to start.

Any quick hits? I'm in Medford but happy to drive 45min or so (beyond that I know of a few options further away; trying to find something we can make a less-committed outing for quick runs and practice)

OddTrickStar

Take them to Black Run Preserve, it’s very close to you. Not a huge place but it has enough different terrain for practice and honing bike skills.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Wissahickon Valley Park in Philly has downs and ups. Go early before the crowds.
Spring Mountain in PA used to have some fun DH runs. But sadly no more.

Brandywine, White Clay, & Iron Hill in DE offer up some fun XC downhill swoop.

@Frank tells me that NJ's Allaire SP offers up plenty of gnar. But that destination is more than 45 min away from Medford

Hair Face

Wissahickon Valley Park in Philly has downs and ups. Go early before the crowds.

@Frank tells me that NJ's Allaire SP offers up plenty of gnar. But that destination is more than 45 min away from Medford
Pretty much everything is pushing that 45 minute window. Burlington county is so big and somehow still manages to have very few mountain bike trails.

In my head Medford should be closer to Wiss and Brandywine but looking at a map it isn't. They're still solid options though and if you've never been I'd definitely go check them out.

I'm guessing that Neshaminy would be the closest thing to what you're looking for though. It's a small enough trail system that you don't have to ride far to get into some tech-ish trails and has enough elevation to get some speed. It's less crowded with hikers which is a bonus too.

Also wouldn't rule out Clayton. You won't find any tech but if you're just looking to get your kids on some faster flowing trails to work on their bike handling it would be worth the drive.

Mark S

Camden County College is a great place for a beginner rider. There are a few climbs/downhills, twists and turns and enough trails to get lost. Young riders love that. You can easily ride there for a hour+ and not get bored, which is perfect for a young rider.

02camaro

wrong, spring mountain absolutely still does have good dh runs, i would classify them more toward black and double black+. a small group of people do maintain the trails and there is a weekly race on Thursdays i believe.

i would check out ceres park. i have no personal experience but its on a list of places id like to stop if i was in the area. from some of the short videos ive seen it looks half decent and perfect for what you are looking for with some simple dh parts and jumps to progress to. depending what part you are in, it looks like its about 45mins from medford.

Last edited:

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
wrong, spring mountain absolutely still does have good dh runs, i would classify them more toward black and double black+. a small group of people do maintain the trails and there is a weekly race on Thursdays i believe.
Good to hear. Used to ride and race there around the turn of the century. If I remember correctly @theranch (pronounced Gerry) maintained the trails there prior to his move(s).

When I looked up LAUNCH BIKE PARK for current info, the google returned it as closed. https://mtbparks.com/Pennsylvania/286-Launch-Bike-Park/View-details.html

Top Bottom