Allamuchy North Route Recommendations

frug

Looking for a good intermediate route that stays in Allamuchy north. Hoping to find some of the faster sections. Or at least the best lot to start from and list of trails to include on a ride.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looking for a good intermediate route that stays in Allamuchy north. Hoping to find some of the faster sections. Or at least the best lot to start from and list of trails to include on a ride.
That's a pretty tough call to solo. Best to meet up unless your old school and just like wander. White is an out an back. Blue and red are on one side of the hill and purple and orange are on the otherside. In between are vast amounts of unmarked trails. Then you have yellow and teal on top some good some impossible.
Continental drive lot
Earthworm lot
Tranquility lot
Cranberry lake lot

If you want to hook up and really learn the place reach out to me or @Fat Trout or @Reggie

frug

If you want to hook up and really learn the place reach out to me or @Fat Trout or @Reggie
A tour would be much appreciated. I'm free tomorrow after lunch and most weekends this month if anyone else has time. I can usually get out of work around noon on Fridays if that works better. (Fair warning I am still getting used to grinding through tech. Did a fair bit of riding at Chimney Rock last year, but we have since moved further north).

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have tentative plans for somewhere different but if that falls through I'll hit you up later or early tomorrow.

goldsbar

The west side (i.e. by 517) is the most intermediate friendly. Orange loop is practically flow by Allamuchy standards. The purple Cardiac/Ditch are tough on the longs but lots of fun. White is also tough on the lungs but really just a dirt road climb or fast descent. You can put together a loop with those and expand out from there.

xc62701

Have you explored Stephens? I think the terrain is more what you’re looking for and easier to navigate.

Foster57

Park at tranquility lot, do orange loop clockwise. Head up the mountain on purple. Do rollie pollie which is a bunch rolling rock up and overs. Continue down purple till you hit white. From here you have some options depending on how you're feeling. Taking ice cream(?) downhill and then out to lumpy bumpy is fun but tough. White downhill back to the lot is a ripper. Can also backtrack and take candy ass back down if want more tech. Recommend exploring routes that people hmdo frequently on trail forks.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well turns out my guy just bailed on me, going to start Tranquility side in about an hour. Sorry it's a last minute and I'm going long if time allows.

frug

Well turns out my guy just bailed on me, going to start Tranquility side in about an hour. Sorry it's a last minute and I'm going long if time allows.
Really appreciate the offer but can’t make it out there until early afternoon. If you wouldn’t mind posting your route after I could follow it. GPX file, Strava, or whatever you are comfortable sharing.

rick81721

Lothar
That's a pretty tough call to solo. Best to meet up unless your old school and just like wander. White is an out an back. Blue and red are on one side of the hill and purple and orange are on the otherside. In between are vast amounts of unmarked trails. Then you have yellow and teal on top some good some impossible.
Continental drive lot
Earthworm lot
Tranquility lot
Cranberry lake lot

Yeah that's a fun place to get lost in. Tho not a great idea to do so in December afternoon when light is fading. Found that out the hard way

ebarker9

Park at tranquility lot, do orange loop clockwise. Head up the mountain on purple. Do rollie pollie which is a bunch rolling rock up and overs. Continue down purple till you hit white. From here you have some options depending on how you're feeling. Taking ice cream(?) downhill and then out to lumpy bumpy is fun but tough. White downhill back to the lot is a ripper. Can also backtrack and take candy ass back down if want more tech. Recommend exploring routes that people hmdo frequently on trail forks.

That's pretty similar to my normal loop although I'll sometimes park at that pull out on 517. Generally don't do the section with ice cream, but had a bit more time this day. (I think all of this terrain is legit but if not let me know and I'll take it down).

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Here you go.

Not as long as I liked to have gone but I forgot to put my chamois on, lol. Started to get raw so skipped Lumpy.

I'll say it again its the best park of the 3 hands down. I don't get why stephens is always the rave when it can't hold a candle to tech and fun that mooch delivers.

frug

Here you go.

Not as long as I liked to have gone but I forgot to put my chamois on, lol. Started to get raw so skipped Lumpy.

I'll say it again its the best park of the 3 hands down. I don't get why stephens is always the rave when it can't hold a candle to tech and fun that mooch delivers.
Thanks, again. Looks like I already follow you on Strava (creeper alert!). We met last summer on the MTBNJ group ride at Nassau. I am the guy you had to keep sweeping on the intermediate ride. I've since taken some of your advice and have been hitting the rocks. I'm comfortable on 95% of Chimney Rock, but make occasional trips up to Ringwood/Sterling to be humbled again. Hoping Allamuchy is somewhere in between.

My guess is Stephen is just easier. It has the kind of tech that makes me feel like I am good at riding it. Easier places tend to be more popular (see also 6MR).

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks, again. Looks like I already follow you on Strava (creeper alert!). We met last summer on the MTBNJ group ride at Nassau. I am the guy you had to keep sweeping on the intermediate ride. I've since taken some of your advice and have been hitting the rocks. I'm comfortable on 95% of Chimney Rock, but make occasional trips up to Ringwood/Sterling to be humbled again. Hoping Allamuchy is somewhere in between.

My guess is Stephen is just easier. It has the kind of tech that makes me feel like I am good at riding it. Easier places tend to be more popular (see also 6MR).
Good stuff, keep at it. This loop has it all. Climbs Tech and rollers. I did rolly Polly, to my surprise every rock roll has a go around, I'm like wtf, why bother haha. I may go through this loop and point out other stuff to try or avoid later.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions