Allamuchy North Route Recommendations

frug

Made it out there this afternoon. Thanks for all of the tips on routing (I still managed to get lost for a few miles). Those trails definitely have a cool backcountry feel to them.

goldsbar

I'll say it again its the best park of the 3 hands down. I don't get why stephens is always the rave when it can't hold a candle to tech and fun that mooch delivers.
Like Jim said, most people like flow trails these days. It's a little ironic in that Ditch-Orange and Earthworm are better versions of some of the Stephens downhills, but people don't want to ride the junk (not my opinion!) in between. You could easily loop Earthworm from the iron gate parking, but nobody seems to do that.

ebarker9

Are we talking about this Earthworm? Never heard that name in all of the years I've been riding there.

Edit: Still recall getting lost riding there years ago and winding up in some of the boy scouts area. Ran into a guy there who was NOT pleased and was threatening to take our bikes and drive us out of the area. Fortunately there were two of us and one of him so we just turned around and went back the way that we came. Especially in those years there was basically zero trail marking and it was pre Trailforks/gps, so trying to follow any kind of route was mostly word of mouth. Probably spent 90% of our rides lost.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are we talking about this Earthworm? Never heard that name in all of the years I've been riding there.

Yeah, Earthworm is the first and last trail ridden on that route. There was a naming contest at Cranks Around the Campfire like 5-6 years ago when it was completed, and our very own @woody came up with the winning name for it.

frug

Like Jim said, most people like flow trails these days. It's a little ironic in that Ditch-Orange and Earthworm are better versions of some of the Stephens downhills, but people don't want to ride the junk (not my opinion!) in between. You could easily loop Earthworm from the iron gate parking, but nobody seems to do that.
Well for the folks who only ride flow trails, the joke's on them. Outside of DH parks (Creek/etc), the little jump trails in High Bridge, and places like Trexler, we don't seem to have them around here. But in all honesty I find those places to be very fun and don't have any problem admitting I like flow trails. Now if that is all there was I agree that would be pretty boring. I'd rather ride natural tech trails, but a little variety is fun, too.

The Orange loop didn't really impress me, but I rode it clockwise. It seems some people ride it CCW and take the gradual climb to the top and bomb down the straight line downhill. I'll try that next time. I climbed up Ditch/Cardiac/Purple because I wanted to check out Rollie Pollie. But it looked like a lot of fun downhill. I parked at Earthworm this past Friday and tried to find my way around without a route. I started to climb Highlands where I encountered double-black diamond levels of mosquitoes, so I retreated to Stephens and decided to consult the wisdom of this thread.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I find those places to be very fun and don't have any problem admitting I like flow trails.

Apologies if my comment came of as an insult to you or anyone else, which definitely was not intended. Most of my friends like riding flow trails. We are very fortunate to live within a short drive of a very large variety of trails here in North Jersey. There's really something for everybody. I was just stating what seems to me to be a pretty clear fact in terms of why Stephens is so popular now and North isn't.

frug

Apologies if my comment came of as an insult to you or anyone else, which definitely was not intended. Most of my friends like riding flow trails. We are very fortunate to live within a short drive of a very large variety of trails here in North Jersey. There's really something for everybody. I was just stating what seems to me to be a pretty clear fact in terms of why Stephens is so popular now and North isn't.
No offense at all. I appreciate everyone’s help and discussion on this site. I think we are making the same point. I absolutely love the variety we have here in NJ and the surrounding area. It’s my favorite place I’ve lived for MTB.

goldsbar

I parked at Earthworm this past Friday and tried to find my way around without a route. I started to climb Highlands where I encountered double-black diamond levels of mosquitoes, so I retreated to Stephens and decided to consult the wisdom of this thread.
Earthworm - it does start on Highlands, but you should quickly be making a left off that trail. Within 30 seconds or so.

frug

How grippy are some of those larger rock rolls on Rollie Pollie? Can you creep down them slowly or is it better to fully let off the brakes? The compressions at the bottom look a little too aggressive to hit fast.

ebarker9

Pretty darned grippy. Haven't ridden that section in a while, but previously you could roll it very slowly or a bit faster, but if it's faster, you have to be more aggressive with your body moment to stay in control.

goldsbar

The bark is worse than the bite. I think the fact that you can't see the descent on some of them until you get over a hump makes them worse than they seem. You can do a controlled walking pace type of descent. You can't fly down the long one as you have to turn at the end.

There are much steeper in that general area, but they're optional and you won't see them if you don't look. For example, after the bottom of Rollie where you get to the flat slick rock and the trail goes down a short rock ramp, look to the left.

ebarker9

The bark is worse than the bite. I think the fact that you can't see the descent on some of them until you get over a hump makes them worse than they seem. You can do a controlled walking pace type of descent. You can't fly down the long one as you have to turn at the end.

There are much steeper in that general area, but they're optional and you won't see them if you don't look. For example, after the bottom of Rollie where you get to the flat slick rock and the trail goes down a short rock ramp, look to the left.

That one looks pretty straightforward, but also terrifying. Also a big roller to the left of ditch/cardiac towards the top.

I've been eyeing this other one but haven't managed to bring myself to commit to it. Doesn't help that I'm usually climbing up that way from 517 and pretty tired by the time I get there 😂 Naturally it looks flat in the pictures.

PXL_20230521_205749888.jpg

PXL_20230521_205841860.jpg

frug

That one looks pretty straightforward, but also terrifying. Also a big roller to the left of ditch/cardiac towards the top.

I've been eyeing this other one but haven't managed to bring myself to commit to it. Doesn't help that I'm usually climbing up that way from 517 and pretty tired by the time I get there 😂 Naturally it looks flat in the pictures.

View attachment 215051
View attachment 215052
I saw this one. The intimidating part to me is that it is two parts. If I couldn’t control my speed well enough in the first roller then that second one could get a little rowdy.

ebarker9

I saw this one. The intimidating part to me is that it is two parts. If I couldn’t control my speed well enough in the first roller then that second one could get a little rowdy.

Yes. I watched someone ride it and of course it always looks dead easy when someone else does it, but I have the same concern.

Foster57

Yes. I watched someone ride it and of course it always looks dead easy when someone else does it, but I have the same concern.
Your concern isn't unfounded - I watched my buddy roll through the first with too much speed and then got bucked at the second part into the tree.

That being said, you have to try it lol

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions