Any suckers watching soccer?

mwlikesbikes

Have relatives over there?! We're flying there on Tue. Bummer that we'll miss the craziness going on now. I lived it twice but my kids have no idea (they are like - wtf, they are on top of the street lights :) Something "unique".
My parents are born & raised there. They emigrated here in 1963. My mom is an only child but my dad is one of seven so there’s lots of cousins down there.

mwlikesbikes

One person who is definitely not a fair weather fan is Andrés Cantor, the Telemundo Argentine American Futbol announcer famous for his signature Goooool!
The POV shot of him when the last goal is scored is priceless.

THATmanMANNY

@mwlikesbikes i felt it. Gave me chills and I watch soccer like every 4 years. I do enjoy playing it and the girl wants to play 3 seasons of soccer now 🤷🏻‍♂️ Today, we talked about athletic scholarships lol

I went down the rabbit hole of Mbappe highlight reels. Like lightning.
He certainly is one of the superstars of the next era but his philanthropic endeavors make him a national hero. Class

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can someone who knows soccer explain to me how this is a penalty that is worthy of a what is basically a free point? I have watched it back, did their feet get tangled?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can someone who knows soccer explain to me how this is a penalty that is worthy of a what is basically a free point?

There is contact, and it caused the player to go down. VAR is still kinda new, but it's similar to reviews in the NFL where it has to be a clear and obvious error on the referee's part for it to be overturned. He called it a penalty in real time, and because there definitely is contact, it can't be overturned.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
, but it's similar to reviews in the NFL where it has to be a clear and obvious error on the referee's part for it to be overturned.
well in the NFL, they don't overturn penalty calls...rulings yes, but a penalty is done. I guess this would be like a DPI call in the NFL in the endzone and the ball is placed on the 1 yard line....Just seems like a REALLY harsh penalty in such a low scoring game.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
well in the NFL, they don't overturn penalty calls...rulings yes, but a penalty is done.

Yeah but the VAR is to overturn the ruling on the field of whether or not it's a penalty. My comparison to the NFL was that the ruling on the field can only be overturned if there is indisputable evidence that the ruling was wrong. There's also all sorts of rules in soccer about what can/can't be reviewed/overturned by VAR.

rick81721

Lothar
Yeah but the VAR is to overturn the ruling on the field of whether or not it's a penalty. My comparison to the NFL was that the ruling on the field can only be overturned if there is indisputable evidence that the ruling was wrong. There's also all sorts of rules in soccer about what can/can't be reviewed/overturned by VAR.

So it's fixed even more than American football? As everyone knows, the NFL is choreographed by Vince McMahon

163.gif

THATmanMANNY

dude, the players will flop in the box if someone breaths on them too hard. I agree that it was such a minimal touch though. Someone hits me on the back on my elbow on NYC streets I'm gonna flop and start some shit and get the closest CCTV for my lottery ticket.
However, that one goal or two for that matter launched the match into history. Starting off I'm not sure if FR was outplayed or they were strategically being soft and defensive to strike later in the game. I think it was their strategy but didn't start out too well.

THATmanMANNY

watching Neymar on Netflix. I feel for him. Father's plan for him is not his plan. Just let the "kid" be himself and play.
WOW I thought philly fans were bad lol. PSG on another planet

Last edited:
Top Bottom