Be Careful Out Their Ladies

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the alert. Certainly looks like it was in the 6MR area. Sadly a similar attack took place between Morristown and Madison not more than 2 weeks ago on the paved Traction Line trail. Authorities caught the scumbags. I hope they throw the book at them and then some. I’m glad the victim at the 6MR attack was able to fight him off.

rick81721

Lothar
Thanks for the alert. Certainly looks like it was in the 6MR area. Sadly a similar attack took place between Morristown and Madison not more than 2 weeks ago on the paved Traction Line trail. Authorities caught the scumbags. I hope they throw the book at them and then some. I’m glad the victim at the 6MR attack was able to fight him off.

Gotta be 6mr. Terrible news, hope the victim is okay. And the perp is a guy on a bike. Just what we need.

TommyF

We all need to really consider riding with others, it's really unsettling when you realize how vulnerable you are when you're out in the woods alone.

serviceguy

Not gonna lie, after the Morristown one, I was looking up pepper sprays on Amazon.
Not gonna lie, my wife has been carrying pepper spray and now bear spray since we started walking or hiking at RSP and before that at Mills Reservation. Mostly because of bears but there's the odd male encounter every now and then that makes her feel more comfortable knowing she's got some type of protection.

Also, let's not get me started on what punishment I believe it would be appropriate in this type of cases...

Last edited:

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just remember that possession of over 3/4 of an ounce of pepper spray is a crime in NJ, so don't buy the big boy. Thank your politicians when you see them.

Got any suggestions? I was looking at something like this:

SABRE Advanced Compact Pepper Spray with Clip – 3-in-1 Formula (Pepper Spray, CS Tear Gas & UV Marking Dye), Police Strength Self Defense Spray, 10-Foot (3 m) Range, 35 Bursts – Easy Access Belt Clip Amazon product

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's not bear spray, jus pepper spray. Correct? I hear Morristown is full of aggressive bears...wait, yeah, maybe not just yet...

https://www.billtrack50.com/BillDetail/842364

The law addresses "chemical substance" so technically bear spray would be limited to 3/4 ounce unless that bill becomes law.

Nothing in N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent any person who is 18 years of age or older and who has not been convicted of a felony, from possession for the purpose of personal self-defense of one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than three-quarters of an ounce of chemical substance not ordinarily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, but rather, is intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or disability through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air. Any person in possession of any device in violation of this subsection shall be deemed and adjudged to be a disorderly person, and upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $100.00.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Got any suggestions? I was looking at something like this:

SABRE Advanced Compact Pepper Spray with Clip – 3-in-1 Formula (Pepper Spray, CS Tear Gas & UV Marking Dye), Police Strength Self Defense Spray, 10-Foot (3 m) Range, 35 Bursts – Easy Access Belt Clip Amazon product

Joy, that is technically .79 ounces instead of .75 ounces. But I really think that's fine. Tell the douche cop that you shot a two-second burst out of the new container so it is now under .75 ounces and liberal-NJ compliant.

I like the combo pepper spray, CS gas, and UV marker. Let's try it on Steve. Alternatively, the foam/gel stuff works great and stick well. That will get all up in Steve's hair and it will burn everytime he takes a shower for a week.

I misspoke earlier. It is not a CRIME to possess over .75 ounces, it is a criminal offense (misdemeanor). You could still be arrested for it, but unless you are doing something irresponsible with it, I certainly wouldn't bother you about it.

I routinely had women from PA with 2+ ounces in their purses and as long as they told me they had it for self-defense purposes, I simply informed them to leave it at home when traveling to NJ and get a NJ-compliant pepper spray.

serviceguy

The law addresses "chemical substance" so technically bear spray would be limited to 3/4 ounce unless that bill becomes law.

Nothing in N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent any person who is 18 years of age or older and who has not been convicted of a felony, from possession for the purpose of personal self-defense of one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than three-quarters of an ounce of chemical substance not ordinarily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, but rather, is intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or disability through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air. Any person in possession of any device in violation of this subsection shall be deemed and adjudged to be a disorderly person, and upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $100.00.
Would that go on your criminal record ? I'm sure it would warrant the State to come down on the offender and throw the book at her/him...imagine what would happen if you were to actually use it on a sexual predator trying to jump you!

Top Bottom