Beginner trails in Central or North Jersey

Tim

aka sptimmy43
So my brother-in-law is getting into mountain biking. So are his kids who are 5 and 8 years old. I have a 10 year old who rides so it would be cool to ride together. They live in East Stroudsburg, PA so I would like to find a trail system that is somewhere in between with some mild trails the kids can enjoy without getting too frustrated. Seems like Nassau was the obvious choice but I am aware that a big section was closed to bikes.

6 Mile Run is totally doable for kids but that is only convenient for me. Jacobsburg State Park in PA is also pretty tame but that’s more of a trip for me.

Any insight on other trails to check out would be appreciated!

So my brother-in-law is getting into mountain biking. So are his kids who are 5 and 8 years old. I have a 10 year old who rides so it would be cool to ride together. They live in East Stroudsburg, PA so I would like to find a trail system that is somewhere in between with some mild trails the kids can enjoy without getting too frustrated. Seems like Nassau was the obvious choice but I am aware that a big section was closed to bikes.

6 Mile Run is totally doable for kids but that is only convenient for me. Jacobsburg State Park in PA is also pretty tame but that’s more of a trip for me.

Any insight on other trails to check out would be appreciated!
The sections of Nassau that were closed were not all the most beginner friendly anyway. Park at the Foran Field lot and go in from there. Plenty of stuff still left. You can also hit the flow trails, pump track and Columbia Trail while you are in the area. 6 Mile is probably the best bet for smaller kids.

What about Nockamixon or Neshaminy? I've never ridden either, but I thought that both had some easier sections.

Good stuff guys. Thanks. We ended up deciding to ride 6 Mile. My plan is park at Jacques and try that section of red and white. I know my son can pretty much ride that whole section.

I have only been to Nassau a couple times. I may have to make a solo trip just to scout it out from the perspective of potentially brining kids. LewMo crossed my mind, too. I’ll keep that in mind. It’s another park that I don’t ride often despite the fact that it isn’t too far from me. I have never been to Nox or Neshaminy. A solo trip to scout those out might also be in order.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Most of Nox is good for beginners. If you go out that way, could do a double header and check out the Frenchtown Preserve too. FTP is also mostly good for beginners. Both parks are small (~9 mi trails in Nox and ~6 mi trails in FTP) and less than 15 miles apart, so could check out both if you're making the trip.

Reactions: Tim
Back
Top Bottom