Berms and Jumps and Flow

serviceguy

Well played @ChrisG I love thinking about how far we've come. Wally Tunison below with team Mongoose at the Peddler Shop in Long Branch, late 80's. The bike is a re-branded Fat Chance , or would soon be replaced by one for actual riding. JT competed at Wally's Allaire race, and a long forgotten drop in the park is named after him. bonus points if you can name the three team riders in this one.

View attachment 199184

No idea who Wally is but looking him up guess who popped out... @Frank

FHJP.JPG

Last edited:

don

Well played @ChrisG I love thinking about how far we've come. Wally Tunison below with team Mongoose at the Peddler Shop in Long Branch, late 80's. The bike is a re-branded Fat Chance , or would soon be replaced by one for actual riding. JT competed at Wally's Allaire race, and a long forgotten drop in the park is named after him. bonus points if you can name the three team riders in this one.

View attachment 199184
Wow - that is a photo! I'm pretty good with riders from that era but am not recognizing anyone. Pure guesses but the kid on the left might be one of the Mongoose freestyle team riders of that era. And is that Mike Shavo on Peddler between Tomac and Wally?

What is crazy is the lack of info on past Mongoose team riders. Over the years they had some incredible people which would be great to see documented.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Wow - that is a photo! I'm pretty good with riders from that era but am not recognizing anyone. Pure guesses but the kid on the left might be one of the Mongoose freestyle team riders of that era. And is that Mike Shavo on Peddler between Tomac and Wally?

What is crazy is the lack of info on past Mongoose team riders. Over the years they had some incredible people which would be great to see documented.
Yes, I believe the guy next to Wally is Mike from the Peddler. The other two team riders are Max Jones and Jimmy Donnel. Mongoose was huge back then for sure, as was General right on your backyard.

Reactions: don

KenS

JORBA.ORG

View attachment 199187
October 1st, 2006. L to R Allaire Super at the time Lorraine, Ryan & Kristin (TCC), Frank (Wookie) and Wally (legend). We got a lot done that week, I still think of it every time I ride that trail, and I always try to ride the whole thing without braking or pedaling. Not as easy as it might sound.

How many MTBNJ'rs can you name in the group shot from that day?
67860364.mPFjHDZU.jpg

Lots missing from that group too, it was a huge workday.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Yes, I believe the guy next to Wally is Mike from the Peddler. The other two team riders are Max Jones and Jimmy Donnel. Mongoose was huge back then for sure, as was General right on your backyard.
Or maybe Tony Shiavo. I have to ask Wally or dig up old notes from interviewing Wally.

KenS

JORBA.ORG

Wally is the elder statesman of NJ trail advocacy. We nominated him for the MTB hall of fame, etc. If I find the motivation and get over the embarrassment of half-assed writing, I'll make a new thread with Wally interviews that we've done over the years. Here is the opener of one we did a while back:

My first recollection of the name Wally Tunison was in the pages of some magazine in the early nineties; something about a race at Allaire State Park. The race inexplicably drew the big names in mountain bike racing to my home state. I had been to Allaire a few times, but had always found it to be a bit too sandy for my liking. The Coast Guard soon took me away from New Jersey. I occasionally found myself home from North Carolina and riding those sandy Allaire trails, pleasantly surprised, wondering which trails Johnny Tomac, Tinker Jaurez and the other pro riders of the day rode. I also wondered what brought them to this sleepy little New Jersey State Park.

In 2005 the Coast Guard shipped me back to NJ after 14 years away. Rediscovering Allaire’s trail system was an awesome experience, one could hardly recognize the old trails, and a lot of new singletrack was there to explore. One weekday afternoon out of pure curiosity I set out to visit Wally’s shop. I had to finally meet the person behind all of the races. I heard from some locals that he also saved Allaire from a bike ban. After getting incredibly lost (a passion of mine) I found the Bicycle Hub of Marlboro. I introduced myself and before I knew it we were chatting about advocacy, trails, the Henry Hudson Bike Path and the Allaire Trail User’s Group. I found Wally to be passionate about these and many other issues. He exuded a genuine love for the sport and lifestyle that we all share. I left the shop with great respect for Wally, and with a renewed desire to give back to the trails in New Jersey.

don

Thanks - haven't heard of Max or Jimmy. Is that a General shirt on one of them? I think Tinker Jurerez rode for General for a short time during the late 80's (and was on Mongoose BMX earlier that decade). And yes General was based in NJ which is really cool.

Great eye to notice that visor. He was a moto guy who came over to bikes in the 70's and it definitely showed. Legend status.
Dude - I can notice a JT Racing USA logo a mile away! I used to draw that logo over everything in the mid 80's lol

don

Or maybe Tony Shiavo. I have to ask Wally or dig up old notes from interviewing Wally.
I don't know Tony but I'm guessing that is not Mike but a relative as it looks a lot like him.

Side note, but goes with berms and jumps, but did anyone ride the 4 pack DJ setup that Peddler Eatontown / Budget Bikes had around 2000's?

Wally is the elder statesman of NJ trail advocacy. We nominated him for the MTB hall of fame, etc. If I find the motivation and get over the embarrassment of half-assed writing, I'll make a new thread with Wally interviews that we've done over the years. Here is the opener of one we did a while back:
We have a section of Grand Tour trail at Hartshorne called Wally's Wall. He came out to one of the TM's early last summer and stacked a bunch of the sand stone to try and stabilize a steep spot that was getting crushed by erosion.

It would be a good history lesson for many folks to know (including myself) the impact that folks like Wally and Frank (and many more) had on the NJ MTB scene.

serviceguy

October 1st, 2006. L to R Allaire Super at the time Lorraine, Ryan & Kristin (TCC), Frank (Wookie) and Wally (legend). We got a lot done that week, I still think of it every time I ride that trail, and I always try to ride the whole thing without braking or pedaling. Not as easy as it might sound.

How many MTBNJ'rs can you name in the group shot from that day?
View attachment 199330

Lots missing from that group too, it was a huge workday.
I can only recognize @Frank. come to think of it, back in 2006 I was still living in Italy and traveling between Italy, Germany, Slovakia and Hungary for work, no idea I wold pick up a mountain bike ever again or where Allaire was…I wasn’t even married yet! Thanks for the history lesson, very interesting!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll

View attachment 199184
I can confirm I think that the gentleman standing between Wally and JT isn’t Mike Schiavo or Tony Schiavo. I think it’s the Mongoose rep.

Tony Schiavo, known to the locals as Ducky, was the founder & owner of the Peddler organization, which included 3 shops for a good portion of the 90’s. Tony passed away from a heart attack a little over 20 years ago. I met Ducky in 1994, and at that time, he looked a good deal older than the fellow in the photo. But then again, I'm a good deal older now as well.

Edit: Looking at it again, it might be Tony Schiavo. It's definitely not Michael, he was still a kid at this point.

Last edited:

mfennell

I can confirm I think that the gentleman standing between Wally and JT isn’t Mike Schiavo or Tony Schiavo. I think it’s the Mongoose rep.

Tony Schiavo, known to the locals as Ducky, was the founder & owner of the Peddler organization, which included 3 shops for a good portion of the 90’s. Tony passed away from a heart attack a little over 20 years ago. I met Ducky in 1994, and at that time, he looked a good deal older than the fellow in the photo. But then again, I'm a good deal older now as well.

Edit: Looking at it again, it mike be Tony Schiavo. It's definitely not Michael, he was still a kid at this point.

Coincidentally, I met @ChrisG in 1994. :). The 3rd or 4th person I met when I moved to the area. Mike was the first. He gave me directions to Hartshorne.

I have a Mongoose Rockadile SX (I think) from the early 90s. Obviously built to a price and pretty heavy but a legit bike for the time. My riding buddy BrianG started his MTB adventures on one.

I love the quote above the pic of the brakes in the Mongoose review. "Good old Shimano cantilever front brake. It'll stop like a 2x4 between the spokes." 🤣. That's not quite how I remember them.

don

Bringing this thread back to the title:

Jumps don’t have to be big to get that feeling. Small line I have been working on at Nesh, small floater. Dirt is so bussin’ rn.

Hell yeah!

Not sure if Punjab's IG is public or not but your pic has a similar feel to his - natural terrain with some mods to give it a little more pep. I like what the DrunkenMonkey guy is building down in FL. Love seeing these little rippers and how good they are at such a young age.

don

The owner of Animal bikes stopped by work the other day. Left me with some shirts and socks. Cool dude!
My shop foreman use to ride for him back in the day.
That's really cool - crazy how you said he rode for them BITD. When they came out Animal was strictly street and had a much more hardcore feel and definitely new flavor for the time.

Meant to post this a couple weeks ago - some young to old guns. Areyi Levenson is impressive for being so young. Has a late 90's style which is rad. And Kole "Lord Son" Voelker - that is incredible as his father Dave influenced so many riders.

And this of Potoczny at Hazelwood and some rad UK spots. That one footed table to turndown o_O

Top Bottom