Best climb back to TOS

JTK37

I don't have exact mileage, but if I had to guess I'd say that full loop is 9ish miles. If you skip the castle climb it's maybe 7.5-8ish. What's nice for an after work ride is that it's not all singletrack, it's about a 65/35 mix of singletrack and fireroad so you can spin a bit. I might hit Ramapo after work tomorrow, if that happens I'll GPS that loop

I went out for a quick late ride tonight. Wanted to get up to the castle, went up Foxcroft a ways, turned around before i got there. Do you ride the fire road all the way to the ruins of turn off into a trail?
Do you pass a private residence before the castle ruins?

sundaydoug

I went out for a quick late ride tonight. Wanted to get up to the castle, went up Foxcroft a ways, turned around before i got there. Do you ride the fire road all the way to the ruins of turn off into a trail?
Do you pass a private residence before the castle ruins?

Yup exactly, you didn't go far enough. That private residence I think used to be a ranger station of some kind, I don't see people there often but they're usually cool. Foxcroft Rd. goes all the way up to the ruins. You can ride completely around the ruins (and see a nice view of NYC on a clear day/night), or make a right-turn directly before the ruins and link up with the white trail. You'll pass an old in-ground swimming pool on your left and this trail continues up north of the ruins to an old pump house. The trail goes right up to the pump house before dropping off the back side and down to the pipeline, which you then directly cross into an unmarked trail. This unmarked trail goes downhill and connects to the blue trail (McEvoy I think). If you don't want to ride the unmarked trail (or can't find it, the entrance can be overgrown a bit) you can head south directly down the pipeline and link up with the Orange/Blue intersection that way. The unmarked trail is short, but fun. I attached an image of this part, hopefully it helps. The grey trail in the map is Foxcroft Rd.

ramapo map1.png

JTK37

Thats awesome!!!!! It helps a ton and I did turn around too early, felt like I was going the wrong way. Thank you!!!

JerseyPete

Looks like someone re-routed Yellow on the way down in the last two weeks. There was a sharp left hand down along an edge. Now the Yellow blaze is on a different tree and that part of the trail is blocked off with debris.
@MannyL358 are you still involved with the Ramapo trails?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions