Black Run Preserve Conditions

JDurk

Let me preface by saying that BRP is a beauty, and no h8 here for it at all. If I were to draw a 1hr circle around LBI though, I am not sure BRP would be top 5. It's hunting season, so this advice may be completely off in that regard; please check regs. Under an hour from there is Allaire, Jake's Branch, Wells Mills, Seaview, Port Republic, EHT Nature Preserve. Equidistant is Estell and CCC. Slightly further philly opens up and is extensive.

Unless of course you just want to ride someplace new-new. Then disregard =)
I approve this message. BRP is not a destination other than to put a check mark.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Sweet. Thanks for the OpEd. I really appreciate it! I have ridden Allaire and Wharton extensively. I have ridden most of the trails in around Philly. Always looking to see new places so this is good info. Just a guy from the north looking to see some SJ goodness!!! Are the recommendations above in top 5 order and where does Wharton fit in? What I like about Wharton is that I can put on some tunes, pedal and work on perfect turns for 20 miles. Also, will Wharton be dry enough tomorrow adternoon? Probably ride tomorrow and Tuesday.
WSF should be good to ride this afternoon.

If you have a map, GPS, and sense of humor, exploring WSF is always fun. Plenty of scenic photo ops and fun enduro trails to discover.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Sweet. Thanks for the OpEd. I really appreciate it! I have ridden Allaire and Wharton extensively. I have ridden most of the trails in around Philly. Always looking to see new places so this is good info. Just a guy from the north looking to see some SJ goodness!!! Are the recommendations above in top 5 order and where does Wharton fit in? What I like about Wharton is that I can put on some tunes, pedal and work on perfect turns for 20 miles. Also, will Wharton be dry enough tomorrow adternoon? Probably ride tomorrow and Tuesday.
Jakes and Wells are similar; less ridden than most places, not as big as Wharton (nothing really is) and some fun ST in spots. Not too far off from BRP really, but closer to you. Seaview is my fav of the parks I mentioned, but they are hunting it this week for sure. Riding is still allowed, but the locals try to stay clear to play nice with hunters. Port/Stockton are a combo deal but hard to follow at times. EHT Nature preserve is small but has some unique landscape and surprisingly fun ST.

Maybe none of them are head and shoulders above BRP. Wharton's miles of trails land it higher on the list than all of them, and by your description has more of what you are looking for than the others too. The only down side, if there is one, is no elevation and the monotonous feeling you get with little change in landscape.

Rank order with driving distance from LBI side of the bridge:
EHT Nature Preserve: 45 mins, no hunting, unique views
Jakes Branch - 25 mins, fast trails.
Wells Mills - 20 mins, maybe the least ridden of all mentioned here. Some fun spots
Seaview - 35 mins, by far the best ST on this list. Downside - hunting
Estell Manor - 50+ mins. Fun but flat, ranked lower due to distance
Port - 30 mins. A lot of trails but difficult to follow. Hunting.

JDurk

Jakes and Wells are similar; less ridden than most places, not as big as Wharton (nothing really is) and some fun ST in spots. Not too far off from BRP really, but closer to you. Seaview is my fav of the parks I mentioned, but they are hunting it this week for sure. Riding is still allowed, but the locals try to stay clear to play nice with hunters. Port/Stockton are a combo deal but hard to follow at times. EHT Nature preserve is small but has some unique landscape and surprisingly fun ST.

Maybe none of them are head and shoulders above BRP. Wharton's miles of trails land it higher on the list than all of them, and by your description has more of what you are looking for than the others too. The only down side, if there is one, is no elevation and the monotonous feeling you get with little change in landscape.

Wells Mills - 20 mins, maybe the least ridden of all mentioned here. Some fun spots
I haven't ridden any of those locations yet.

onetracker

Really helpful. I would like to see them all!! I may do some combos to enjoy the goods!! Thanks again!!

onetracker

WSF should be good to ride this afternoon.

If you have a map, GPS, and sense of humor, exploring WSF is always fun. Plenty of scenic photo ops and fun enduro trails to discover.
Thanks. Perfect trail conditions and weather! Mint.

640DA334-6738-4ACF-AACB-41FCACADC01B.jpeg
237B55D4-A1D1-4773-A8DD-3155316A4105.jpeg

Tommysalami357

Had a great ride on Thursday Jan 11th. Bortons Road has a lot of washouts coming in from Kettle Run Road if you use the REI trailhead, but any SUV should be able to make it. My Outback made it, and a Chevy Blazer came in right after me. If you have a low vehicle, don't chance it.
The trails are good after the storm, except for a big tree down .125 miles from Bortons on the yellow REI trail. The rest of the downed trees have been cut or turned into easy jumps already.
A little mud here and there but no standing water on either REI trail.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions