Brake pads

Ron

What pads is everyone using on there brakes? In need of new pads on my m785's. Always used Shimano pads in the past, but have used EBC on vehicles.

Thanks in advance.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i use the factory pads on all mine, check your rotors with the shimanos, if they say "resin pad only" on them then theres a good chance you are stuck with shimano pads regardless. (i tried several different brands on my old bike with shimano breaks and they wouldnt work consitently, felt almost like when the abs was activated in the car).

(note, i also put EBC on all my vehicles)

rick81721

Lothar
i use the factory pads on all mine, check your rotors with the shimanos, if they say "resin pad only" on them then theres a good chance you are stuck with shimano pads regardless. (i tried several different brands on my old bike with shimano breaks and they wouldnt work consitently, felt almost like when the abs was activated in the car).

You guys brake too much. Can't remember last time pads were changed on any of my bikes

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You guys brake too much. Can't remember last time pads were changed on any of my bikes

you dont ride (fast) enough! :p

on a more serious note, the shimanos on my old bike would last 1500 miles or more, the guides i have now i get around 500 (maybe a bit more) miles out of, its driving me nuts

rick81721

Lothar
you dont ride (fast) enough! :p

on a more serious note, the shimanos on my old bike would last 1500 miles or more, the guides i have now i get around 500 (maybe a bit more) miles out of, its driving me nuts

I have guides on the horsethief, pretty sure getting more than 500 miles but since I don't keep track of things like tires, brakes, chains, etc - no clue.

qclabrat

I've never seen the resin pad thing before, gotta look it up. I'm getter some metallic Trucker pads someone here recommended this spring for the DH bike

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I think I change my brakes before I even get to the pt where a pad is worn out lol

Last edited:

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have guides on the horsethief, pretty sure getting more than 500 miles but since I don't keep track of things like tires, brakes, chains, etc - no clue.

if you dont ride fast you dont need to use the breaks :p

500 is the fuel, i have 600 on the stache and still havent changed em, but i have a hunch they are getting low, maybe thats what i should do today . . .

Ron

This bike was bought used off eBay. I did a tear down and putting it back together. Changed out cables also, they looked in great condition but I changed anyway.

Just figured I would clear that up for the internet experts.

pkovo

I run the Shimano finned resin pads. I like the feel of resin better (this is probably a minority opinion). I think it takes a little more lever pressure, but seems to give me beter modulation.

I don't think they last as long or stop as hard as metallic pads though. They do seem quieter when wet though.

I'm guessing I could do without the fins because I don't ride bike parks and my longest descents probably aren't long enough to cause brake fade....but I get them anyway.

Dingo

Shimano metallic for me. I like the way they grab better than resin. I'm also 200lbs, so that could be a factor.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used to use Shimano Icetech rotors and pads. The rotors always seems to glaze over way too fast and braking turned to shit. The metallic Shimano pads were fine, but they're expensive and the fins on the pads are also really not necessary for the riding I do. I've been using Ashima Ai2 rotors for a few years now and absolutely zero issues with them on my mountain bikes and cross bike. Last year I put Jagwire pads on the mtb and switched to them on the cross bike later in the season. They have been great so far, and cheaper.

lurker

Not sure on the pads but I've always used ashima rotors as well. Cheap light and effective

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
I'm a fan of truckerco pads. Cheap and work great

I like TruckerCo Semi-metallic; they are safe for "resin only" rotors. Shimano resin also has a bit of metal embedded too. I usually use up the Shimano first then go with TruckerCo semi's. I have used TruckerCo metal on the bike I ride at MCBP.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When I burn through OEM pads, I love me some Swisstop.
Resin preferably.
Spendy, but worth it to me.

jackx

When I burn through OEM pads, I love me some Swisstop.
Resin preferably.
Spendy, but worth it to me.

When I was using Avid Elixir 5 brakes that were stock, I used Swisstop on the wise advice of @jimvreeland.

I am now using Hope brakes and I much prefer the sintered pads over the standard pads. Sintered are great and don’t squeal when wet.

Regarding mileage: Per Strava, my front pads (larger 4-pot) lasted 1,070 miles and rear (2-pot) 1,385 miles.

If the pads last that long, maybe the rotors need to be replaced at some point. Similar to my car brake pads and rotors were both replaced around 80k miles.

Top Bottom