Brake pads

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm just going to drag this thread back up as I couldn't find anything completely relevant.

Anyone have experience with the MTX Red Pads with harsher braking, hopefully in comparison to Shimano Metal pads? $33 a caliper seems steep but they're relatively popular and:

1) Replacement Finned Shimano pads are the same price from places in the US or close to it.
2) I *assumed* I had resin pads in my 4 piston SLX calipers and while cleaning them today realized I had metal. I had bought 4 sets of resin cheap from Europe in an order awhile back and doubt I want to go to resin when these are worn out.

Before this set of brakes I'd get on people's 4-piston XT brakes and always hate that initial bite so I assumed I had resin pads on these. But I like the braking power, like the modulation but wouldn't mind a tad more power. Haven't over heated them with 203/180 rotors on 1k to 2k descents.

Basically looking for a little more bite in the oh-shit moments or really need to scrub speed before a feature.

Last edited:

TommyF

I've been on MTX Red for 2 bikes, love them!! Very easy to modulate, they don't fade, great initial bite and they are quiet !! Had them on Shimano calipers and now using them with SRAM on my current Switchblade. They were a huge upgrade from the metal SRAM pads.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm amazed there's no brake pad shootout like you see with brakes. :(

I have heard similar things with Galfer but figured MTX seems to be well liked and they're relatively easy to purchase. I like to keep spares as I always seem to need them when I'm traveling with the bike.

Cassinonorth

I'm trying the Galfer green pads in MT5s if I can ever get to Mountain Creek. Curious to see how they compare to the stock pads, but I've also heard good things.

Definitely post your experience when you do.

I'm amazed there's no brake pad shootout like you see with brakes. :(

Not quite what you're looking for probably, but at least they compare compounds.

Funny thing it's probably one of the cheapest and easiest comparison videos to make too. Swapping pads are easy... But would they have to bed every one in?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
To properly do it you'd need to have a set of rotors for each set of pads and bed them in then do the test swapping pads and rotors each time.

One nice thing is you can probably do a very good blind test with them. Test rider doesn't have to see the pads/rotors to make a decision before riding down.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just got a few pairs but haven't used yet , will know in about a week or so
WHERE'S THE UPDATE? :)

While cleaning my pads again I noticed one of my pads has a chunk taken out probably from a small rock. Been caught in some rain storms and whatever mud/grit/etc I pass through the pads while riding in the wet coats them and I lose tons of braking.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm confused. What are you running on the park bike?
Same trp dhr evo brakes but I'm pretty sure I glazed the rear rotor on my trail bike . Apparently doing 2 min long manuals down a fairly steep hill and riding the brake the whole time isn't great for life expectancy.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Same trp dhr evo brakes but I'm pretty sure I glazed the rear rotor on my trail bike . Apparently doing 2 min long manuals down a fairly steep hill and riding the brake the whole time isn't great for life expectancy.
Put MTX Red pads in and report back. :)

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Red mtx pads seem to be very similar to the blue trp ones they replaced. Bed in fairly quick and no noises . The only difference I noticed is the back plate is thicker on the mtx so there's slightly less brake material .
20230608_165519.jpg

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I swapped the front from Shimano Metal finned pads with a Japan made 203 rotor to the MTX Red & 203 Magura Rotor.

Felt exactly the same to me except for the slightly thicker rotor. Didn't try it on any 1000 foot descents only 300 feet or so but definitely had some faster paced spots and then needed brakes and felt the same.

I figured I'll keep the front finned pads as spares for the back where I'm more concerned about heat soak.

Only bedding in I did was slightly drag the pad around the trail head parking lot waiting for people.

So far happy.

Top Bottom