Brendan T Byrne Forest, Batsto Trails and the Batona Trail...

carvegybe

So in my search for MTB trails that are rideable during periods of thaw, I rode the 17 mile Batsto loop and the Mount Misery Trail this week for the first time. The trails are an awesome surprise and provide opportunity to practice sustaining speed on fast, flowy singletrack. I'm definitely coming back there and would like to know from those with more local experience about what to watch out for.

Does anyone have a Mount Misery trail FIT/GPX file where I can do a loop starting from Pakim Pond?

Also, I understand that mountain biking is not allowed on the full Batona Trail, but it would surely be nice to ride the full 50+ mile stretch. Perhaps MTBing is allowed on parts of the trail? For example, is there any legal way to MTB from Brendan T Byrne Forest to Batsto Village? What's the reason for keeping the bikes off the trails? Many questions...

Thanks in advance

kidzach

can't really help with any of your questions as I have only rode Batsto once. but I can tell you Wells Mills County Park is a nice area worth exploring

JDurk

Also, I understand that mountain biking is not allowed on the full Batona Trail, but it would surely be nice to ride the full 50+ mile stretch. Perhaps MTBing is allowed on parts of the trail? For example, is there any legal way to MTB from Brendan T Byrne Forest to Batsto Village? What's the reason for keeping the bikes off the trails? Many questions...

Thanks in advance
I would say do some research on the BaToNa Trail. It's been around longer than mtbs. Plenty of gravel roads to connect Brendan Byrne and Wharton's Batsto mtb trails.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Was hoping to connect via singletrack...

The single track portions of the Batona are hiking only. The Batona was created in the early sixties as a BAckTONAture hike. In the past, I have asked forestry staff if it is possible that the restrictions can be eased. The reply was always an emphatic NO.

You can map a ride down the unmarked double track sand/gravel roads that parallel the Batona single track for a nice Wharton-Parker-Byrne ride. Jumping onto the Batona single track might get you a ticket. Especially if you pass hikers that call you in to the SPP. If you're unlucky, you'll be greeted by SPP at the next sand road section

Mountain Bike Mike

The single track portions of the Batona are hiking only. The Batona was created in the early sixties as a BAckTONAture hike. In the past, I have asked forestry staff if it is possible that the restrictions can be eased. The reply was an emphatic NO.

You can map a ride down the unmarked double track sand/gravel roads that parallel the Batona single track for a nice Wharton-Parker-Byrne ride. Jumping onto the Batona single track might get you a ticket. Especially if you pass hikers that call you in to the SPP. If you're unlucky, you'll be greeted by SPP at the next sand road section

good info...

JDurk

@slingblade_uhhuh thanks for that info, my vague response was because I didn't know the details. A few years ago, 2 of us were returning from the Orange Loop back to Atsion ranger station via Quaker Bridge Rd. As we were crossing the metal bridge, a SPP officer drove by us, made a u-turn and slowly shadowed us all the way back. I assume to make sure we didn't take Batona or the Mullica River trail.

sandman

If I may; There is no single track that will take you that far. Even the BATONA uses double track and multi use roads. The only way to figure out how to get anywhere is to start small and get more trails, fire cuts, and roads under your belt. You can always ride with me on Saturdays. I posted the 2020 rides on the South Jersey forum. The Wharton 40 will be coming soon. I don't know what you're riding, but a Fat Bike will give you year round riding.

carvegybe

If I may; There is no single track that will take you that far. Even the BATONA uses double track and multi use roads. The only way to figure out how to get anywhere is to start small and get more trails, fire cuts, and roads under your belt. You can always ride with me on Saturdays. I posted the 2020 rides on the South Jersey forum. The Wharton 40 will be coming soon. I don't know what you're riding, but a Fat Bike will give you year round riding.

@sandman, thank you. I think I'd like to take you up on the offer to ride Saturdays but I ride 2.3 tires. I did not find those to limit me on Batsto Trails nor on the Mount Misery Trails but I am open to take advice from local experts, as may be appropriate. I will look for your postings of 2020 rides.

pibbles

@sandman, thank you. I think I'd like to take you up on the offer to ride Saturdays but I ride 2.3 tires. I did not find those to limit me on Batsto Trails nor on the Mount Misery Trails but I am open to take advice from local experts, as may be appropriate. I will look for your postings of 2020 rides.
My .02 would be that NO mtb trail is suitable during freeze thaw, speakin as one of the peeps that has to fix it. Thanks

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I don’t have any general desire to ride the batona trail, other than I think would be a good bike packing trail. And more beginner or family friendly for bike packing than most other routes

carvegybe

I was under the impression the pine forests handle thaw well and I didn't think I was causing any damage when riding the trails a few days ago. That said, I'd like to confirm my thinking is correct and I see the views on this aren't consistent - and general consensus might not be correct.

So what is one to do to remain respectful of the good TM work done on the trails while maxing out opportunities to ride during ever milder winters? Do I post here the day before a planned ride to check riding is ok? Who is the authority to make the final call in case opinions are mixed?

Thank you and pardon my ignorance about rules of the road that might already be clear and established to others.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
So what is one to do to remain respectful of the good TM work done on the trails while maxing out opportunities to ride during ever milder winters? Do I post here the day before a planned ride to check riding is ok? Who is the authority to make the final call in case opinions are mixed?

Instead of freeze/thaw muddiness, the Batsto bike trails experience a freeze/thaw sand slurry. The end result from riding the slurry is new stretches of soft sugar sand, that the volunteer trail crew, @pibbles , has to repair/remediate.

We the volunteers that maintain the trails, ask all riders that if they find themselves riding the Batsto trails in a freeze/thaw slurry. To get off the single track, onto the adjacent sand roads and log in some long winter miles exploring. Some sand roads are better then others. Some sand roads are so infrequently used, that the are close to being single track. There is plenty to see out there too. Ask the @sandman or check out some routes on Strava. There was/is a group from Philly that does the Wharton-Parker-Byrne trek every winter.

Thanks!

Last edited:

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/8861585 Does anyone know if this connection to Batsto trails from Atsion is legal for mtb use? Thanks!

As @JDurk says, stay on the double track called Quaker Bridge Road from Atsion and you will have no problem.

That Garmin route appears to use the HIKING ONLY SINGLETRACK TRAILS named the Mullica River Trail and the Beaver Pond - Quaker Bridge Trail. The SPP patrol that area frequently.

HIKING ONLY TRAILS are marked with squares and paint on the trees.
Official Wharton State Forest Maps below. Wharton Forest Office phone: (609) 561-0024

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/WhartonAreaMapFinal_reduced.pdf
https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/WhartonTrailMapFinalDraft.pdf
https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/Wharton_brochure_text.pdf

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/wharton.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom