Bring a Trailer - OMFG or On Topic

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
OK - I have a problem. Can't stop looking at BaT.
Lots of window shopping, and the cars are nice.
Cool to see things related to cars owned (ie @UtahJoe's 'stang)

But once in a while, there is something...

Like a Ferrari Daytona. it is the example of the time, and stands on its own. While i like other cars much more (there are better 'vettes)
this is an OMFG icon.

1603938637077.png

Don Johnson, this is the real thing.
not an abomination!

1603938814189.png

Patrick

Staff member
Just curious. If you're not bidding in the last few minutes, what's the point?

the "ya never know" possibility.

the auctions on BaT do not have a hard stop - they are extended 2 minutes if a bid comes in near the end,
so no sniping.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
the "ya never know" possibility.

the auctions on BaT do not have a hard stop - they are extended 2 minutes if a bid comes in near the end,
so no sniping.
I know, But on every auction I'm interested in there are at least 10 bids at the end, so why bother with days to go? The Caymans I've been watching only prove that people will over pay on BaT since they are being swayed by all the positive non bidder comments.

w_b

So. It’s come down to this. You can have a nice house or a really nice old car. That F- bomb is the bomb.

Looking at the side view of it, where the nose and tail are cut off, I can’t help but notice how well Datsun ripped it off for the 240Z.

Manny’s right @Patrick, YOLO. Go for it!

serviceguy

OK - I have a problem. Can't stop looking at BaT.
Lots of window shopping, and the cars are nice.
Cool to see things related to cars owned (ie @UtahJoe's 'stang)

But once in a while, there is something...

Like a Ferrari Daytona. it is the example of the time, and stands on its own. While i like other cars much more (there are better 'vettes)
this is an OMFG icon.

View attachment 142362

Don Johnson, this is the real thing.
not an abomination!

View attachment 142363
I am not an expert but are those flares original on the black one? Replica?

iman29

well you made me do it so I had to search for a 77 Monte Carlo.

I found this one - omg that lime green is hideous especially on the interior but the 76 and the 77 were very similar.

I bought a 77 MC just like this in college but I had to bring it home on a tow truck. It was black (and rust) with a white interior and bench seats and a very worn out 305 2bl carb. I spent about a month just to get it up and running but within 3 months the engine needed too much work to fix. I found a donor car which was the exact same car and was even Black but it had the upgraded red interior with the factory swivel seats. I also found a junkyard 454 vette motor with xxx miles on it and since this body style was already setup to accept a big block it was an easy swap. i did it with a friend in his 1 car garage in the middle of February it was so cold and we had just basic tools but somehow we got it running. I ran out of money for the exhaust so we ran 45 degree couplers from the header mufflers and bolted some pipes to the frame to exit the exhaust from in front of the rear wheels. the engine got a top end tear down and cleanup with a little bit beefier cam and aluminum intake and a Carter carb. Had to upgrade the trans to handle the extra HP and I put in a shift kit i could chirp the wheels between 1st and 2nd gear pretty easily which was cool for a 5000lb car.

the first week i had to drive it so slow because the weight of the bigger engine sagged the front springs so bad the header collectors would constantly scrape the ground. I found a set of Chevelle station wagon springs and put those up front - it was almost like a gasser they were so much taller but helped a lot.

I drove that thing around for 4 years with a toolbox in the trunk and always had a pile of spare parts because it was always breaking down but a lot of good memories in that thing. Too bad I dont even think I have one picture of it.

After dumping 1000's of dollars into turning it from a POS to a faster POS i sold it to the guy who helped me rebuild the engine for like 600 bucks and then about a year later the frame finally rusted out in the front (known issue) and he told me one day he went over a speed bump and the front end of the body separated from the chassis so he had to junk it.

if it was fully restored i guess it would look like this. If I had discretionary money for fun i would find one just like this and buy it in 3 seconds.

serviceguy

I just feel a little bit better knowing that they did not blow up a real Daytona, even though it also makes me feel violated for falling for a replica while watching the show back then. I’ve never been into the testarossa , as you can imagine it bothered me that it was white...what part of ‘rossa’ they did not understand?

Patrick

Staff member

I found this one - omg that lime green is hideous especially on the interior but the 76 and the 77 were very similar.

I bought a 77 MC just like this in college but I had to bring it home on a tow truck. It was black (and rust) with a white interior and bench seats and a very worn out 305 2bl carb. I spent about a month just to get it up and running but within 3 months the engine needed too much work to fix. I found a donor car which was the exact same car and was even Black but it had the upgraded red interior with the factory swivel seats. I also found a junkyard 454 vette motor with xxx miles on it and since this body style was already setup to accept a big block it was an easy swap. i did it with a friend in his 1 car garage in the middle of February it was so cold and we had just basic tools but somehow we got it running. I ran out of money for the exhaust so we ran 45 degree couplers from the header mufflers and bolted some pipes to the frame to exit the exhaust from in front of the rear wheels. the engine got a top end tear down and cleanup with a little bit beefier cam and aluminum intake and a Carter carb. Had to upgrade the trans to handle the extra HP and I put in a shift kit i could chirp the wheels between 1st and 2nd gear pretty easily which was cool for a 5000lb car.

the first week i had to drive it so slow because the weight of the bigger engine sagged the front springs so bad the header collectors would constantly scrape the ground. I found a set of Chevelle station wagon springs and put those up front - it was almost like a gasser they were so much taller but helped a lot.

I drove that thing around for 4 years with a toolbox in the trunk and always had a pile of spare parts because it was always breaking down but a lot of good memories in that thing. Too bad I dont even think I have one picture of it.

After dumping 1000's of dollars into turning it from a POS to a faster POS i sold it to the guy who helped me rebuild the engine for like 600 bucks and then about a year later the frame finally rusted out in the front (known issue) and he told me one day he went over a speed bump and the front end of the body separated from the chassis so he had to junk it.

if it was fully restored i guess it would look like this. If I had discretionary money for fun i would find one just like this and buy it in 3 seconds.

Good story! so classic working on the car in the cold with minimal tools.

I had a 77? Lemans for a summer - buy, fix, paint, sell - it was red with a black roof - this model
or close - i remember the reflectors on the deck lid. dropped an engine in it from a 69
we towed up rt 80 west from fairfield to denville with a rope tied to a p/u truck.
Wish i had pics of it. Great looking car from the side!

still have the hurst shifter in the basement from the donor car.

1603977979832.png

rick81721

Lothar
Interesting site. When I first heard the name, I assumed they were auctioning project cars that didn't run, hence the need to "bring a trailer". Tho the opposite connotation is cars so nice you don't want to drive them home (i.e. concours restorations). Doesn't seem to be either!

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim

My wife had that same car in green. maybe a bit paler (or just faded?). Someone rear-ended it and the insurance company totaled it.

Cool idea though, look up all of your former cars on BaT. Go!

Top Bottom