Bring a Trailer - OMFG or On Topic

Nice '78 Fairmont, too bad it's an automatic.

In all seriousness, I've seen a few Fox bodies lately here and I'm blown away that after 30 something years, people can't replace god awful ugly GT tail lights with LX tail lights.
When I bought mine I spent months finding an LX because I hate the GT body kit in general. It was surprisingly hard to find an LX with a 5.0….. there were ragged out GT’s everywhere tho.

When I bought mine I spent months finding an LX because I hate the GT body kit in general. It was surprisingly hard to find an LX with a 5.0….. there were ragged out GT’s everywhere tho.
What year did you have?

I can remember back then the LX 5.0 “notchback” versions were slightly faster then the GT hatchback. I liked the look of the LX much better too.

Faster than the GT. Slower than your minivan.
Hey in their time...they were quicker than most things. Like driving my 1990 GT around in 1992.....I could beat my friends 350 trans am, I could EASILY beat any 911 that pulled up next to me...they couldn't accelerate for shit, and forget shifting gears quickly. Any 80s-early 90s Japanese car, forget it. Friend of mine had a brand new 1993 talon and that would give me a good run at altitude, but he could just launch harder, I would still run him down. I feel like you had to experience one in its time period to appreciate it. To have a car that 16 year old me could afford that I could race/beat most anything you would come across...it was fun.

Hey in their time...they were quicker than most things. Like driving my 1990 GT around in 1992.....I could beat my friends 350 trans am, I could EASILY beat any 911 that pulled up next to me...they couldn't accelerate for shit, and forget shifting gears quickly. Any 80s-early 90s Japanese car, forget it. Friend of mine had a brand new 1993 talon and that would give me a good run at altitude, but he could just launch harder, I would still run him down. I feel like you had to experience one in its time period to appreciate it. To have a car that 16 year old me could afford that I could race/beat most anything you would come across...it was fun.
Yeah, I get that. It's 2023 though.

It's like getting excited about a Walkman a fax machine or a record player. :)

And straight line performance was good, actually a byproduct of a suspension that was horrible except for going straight. 1970's junk chassis with brittle plastic interior. I know, I owned 3.5 of them. :) Fine at the time.

Yeah so buy a new one, not that fugly thing
Porsche makes a proper roadster, its called the 718. A convertible Porsche is like a convertible Benz, its for the ladies.

The GT was the car everyone lusted after in High School for all the reasons that you mention. Those 911's that you easily beat are all now 6-figure plus cars for the same reason. Nostalgia, its a very powerful drug. Powerful enough for someone to say "hey, I'm going to take this $150k and buy a slower, uglier, more expensive to maintain, and way less reliable version of a modern car that essentially looks the same".

Yeah, I get that. It's 2023 though.

It's like getting excited about a Walkman a fax machine or a record player. :)

And straight line performance was good, actually a byproduct of a suspension that was horrible except for going straight. 1970's junk chassis with brittle plastic interior. I know, I owned 3.5 of them. :) Fine at the time.
Are you trying to apply logic and sense to the classic car market? People like old VW buses....Proof, that nothing makes sense.

And they fixed the mustang and made it into a car that is properly fast, handles wells, and has a decent interior....but now 16 year olds cant afford them.

To have a car that 16 year old me could afford that I could race/beat most anything you would come across...it was fun.
This. I got my '93 for next to nothing then put another couple thousand into upgrades and it was a legit muscle car. That thing had scary power for a first car. It could never put any of that power to the ground....but that was half the fun. My school admins hated me and all of the local police knew me lol. Try sneaking into the house at 3am when you drive a 400hp v8 with a full custom exhaust lol.

Back
Top Bottom