Cooper Road (and presumably Whipporhill Valley Road): cyclists and pedestrians banned!!!!

one piece crank

Someone should post this sign on the same post.

61kY%2BxFaOFL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

mtn

Those signs look like poly (plastic). That, along with the previously stated fact that they are affixed to a utility pole, says that these signs are not government-owned or posted.

mtn

Keep in mind, unofficial doesn't necessarily mean some idiot rookie cop wouldn't write the ticket. It would just get dismissed by the court at a later time.

View attachment 167309
Just like the one video on youtube I watched this morning when a cop in CA wrote a citation and threatened to tow this Canadian citizen’s car (lambo) because he didn’t have a CA driver’s license. Talk about a shitty cop for not at least checking statutes or contacting a supervisor when called out for it.

serviceguy

They weren’t put up by randoms. They are metal but more telling - if you look closely - they were put up in conjunction with the rough road and mph signs (signs overlap and share screws). So someone “official” put it up.
If anything the overlapping would make them less 'official'...and screws turn both ways so...also, and correct me if I'm wrong, that is a no pedestrian crossing sign, I don't thing you can actually prevent pedestrian to walk on a street that doesn't have a sidewalk, I would expect something like these signs instead...
no-pedestrian-traffic-danger-sign-s-5075.png

osha-do-not-enter-sign-odb-4750_1000_1.png

wonderturtle

The signs are definitely metal (not plastic) but agree that the no ped/ no cycling sign looks suspect as hell

Just saying - having seen them they look a bit more than what some random would put up.

My gut tells me some local complained about having to slow their Range Rover for a jogger or cyclist and someone at the town made the stupid/rash decision to throw those signs up to appease them.

I sent my message to the mayor. I understand there are far bigger issues out there but, if you have a moment and this bothers/ affects you, I suggest you do the same. If no one complains they will just stay up

Last edited:

roc

I get that you can't have people flying down sidewalks on wheels, I don't want to get hit. But, people really need to get a life and stop worrying about every little thing. I live in Motown and love watching the kids over by the Vail mansion reflecting pool. And if your biggest problem in life is that your neighbor has to do some yard work a little later in the day because they have a job, get over it and consider yourself the luckiest person in the world.

Also, how crazy is it, that you now actually have to specify weed. Such a different world than when we grew up, you could smoke cigarettes in a plane, hospital, doctor's office, but weed, that was a no-no everywhere except a dead show.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Morristown fucking reeks of weed now. It is pretty crazy. It's an issue in a high density area when your neighbor's stinky weed smell is coming in your windows.

Its temporary due to construction in the area. The police explain they won't enforce it just want to discourage it for now. The signs will go away when construction is done.

Everyone has their conspiracy theories that it's the equestrians in their land-rovers, or the signs are fake, etc etc. But yeah, simplest solution is they want to keep riders off the road as much as possible right now, for their safety.

Karate Monkey

Everyone has their conspiracy theories that it's the equestrians in their land-rovers, or the signs are fake, etc etc. But yeah, simplest solution is they want to keep riders off the road as much as possible right now, for their safety.

If that was true, they'd ban vehicles over 2 tons. That road is hard rutted from people flying down it in 5 ton box trucks because the GPS told them it's the fastest way...and once you're on it, you're on it. Turning around is not feasible, and you probably can't make it back up the grade towards Bowne in a delivery truck, anyway. There are braking bumps on the curve that are 4-5" deep because someone comes flying down the hill and skids into the oncoming lane.

I have literally watched a guy pulling a 20 foot trailer with lawnmowers, et. al, bouncing 6 inches in the air.

Whipporwill DOES have a couple of stables there (Cooper has...one on the dirt portion?); I can't speak for @wonderturtle since he actually lives in the area, but I have rode/driven on those roads lots...and I've never seen someone riding a horse on them.

wonderturtle

Morristown fucking reeks of weed now. It is pretty crazy. It's an issue in a high density area when your neighbor's stinky weed smell is coming in your windows.

I can tell you 100% that the signs are real, put up by the town and they will be coming down

Respectfully, I think the ban is, as someone said above, a total overreach (and over reaction). I’ve been on the road when it’s used as a detour and even then the traffic really isn’t that bad. It really isn’t. The road IS very rough which acts as an effective traffic calming to all but the biggest 4x4s. Even when used as a detour the road is still: (1) much less heavily traveled than other roads in the area and (2) speeds are much lower. Therefore the road remains FAR safer for bikes and pedestrians then any other roads in the area. Far safer. That’s why the ban was totally unnecessary and stupid.

Instead, if any signs are put up, they should put up signs to the MOTORISTS alerting them of pedestrians, cyclists and pedestrians. I made that suggestion to the township official I got in contact with. That would be a much better/ sensical solution.

wonderturtle

If that was true, they'd ban vehicles over 2 tons. That road is hard rutted from people flying down it in 5 ton box trucks because the GPS told them it's the fastest way...and once you're on it, you're on it. Turning around is not feasible, and you probably can't make it back up the grade towards Bowne in a delivery truck, anyway. There are braking bumps on the curve that are 4-5" deep because someone comes flying down the hill and skids into the oncoming lane.

I have literally watched a guy pulling a 20 foot trailer with lawnmowers, et. al, bouncing 6 inches in the air.

Whipporwill DOES have a couple of stables there (Cooper has...one on the dirt portion?); I can't speak for @wonderturtle since he actually lives in the area, but I have rode/driven on those roads lots...and I've never seen someone riding a horse on them.

I’ve seen horses plenty of times.

For the record - the erosion is not caused by vehicles it’s caused by storms. Every time there is a big storm those roads get HEAVILY eroded. I can only assume that township officials HATE having these dirt roads as it undoubtedly costs far more money and manpower to maintain. I am also certain the people with the deep pockets who live in that area want to keep these roads this way.

….and I ain’t complaining about that!! I would be very sad if they chose to pave them :(

Last edited:

krink

Eddie Munster
I’ve seen horses plenty of times.

For the record - the erosion is not caused by vehicles it’s caused by storms. Every time there is a big storm those roads get HEAVILY eroded. I can only assume that township officials HATE having these dirt roads as it undoubtedly costs far more money and manpower to maintain. I am also certain the people with the deep pockets who live in that area want to keep these roads this way.

….and I ain’t complaining about that!! I would be very sad if they chose to pave them :(
You're both right. The long scour cuts are from storms, but the transverse ridges are from hard breaking vehicles, and those roads got so bad during the last re-route from construction last spring, they literally left a bulldozer off one shoulder for a few weeks to continually re-grade the road. I've also seen plenty of horses on both of those roads. there are private trails that connect them through all of the pasture and forest land. I've been so tempted to head off into them just to see what they're like, but I've controlled myself so far. Horseriders (horsepeople?) can be temperamental enough when in Huber, would want to trespass too.

roc

Crazy that you've noticed this. I smell weed all the time in Motown now. it seems as if every 3rd car on south street is smoking a joint. Although I've never smelt it on the green from an individual, its always been in a car. I rode the road in July a lot, and was really surprised at how cars totally smelled like weed.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions