Denville - Where to ride?

Bisquick

Looks like I am going to be in Denville tomorrow for Thanksgiving, hoping to get there early and get a ride in. It looks like I am directly in between Wildcat WMA, and Tourne Park; a bikeable distance from both.

Having ridden neither before was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction in terms of park, then maybe a little further in terms of trails to hit. Looking for easy climb trails to the top and the best descents I can get if thats possible.

Bisquick

Those two parks are basically polar opposites of each other. Wildcat is super techy, Tourne is mostly flow with some roots/an occasional rocky section.
Any good downhill sections at Wildcat? Would prefer the techy over the flow. Watched some videos of the Tourne and it seems similar to Hartshorn in many ways.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
There are some good downs but you need to work hard to get to them and then they're not all that long. Everything is on Trailforks so easy to navigate, though the trails were quite leafy this past weekend. Oreland downhill (E to W) is my favorite. Also "Mjolnir" (W to E) on the other side of the road in Lake Telemark trails.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any good downhill sections at Wildcat? Would prefer the techy over the flow. Watched some videos of the Tourne and it seems similar to Hartshorn in many ways.

lots, but you will definitely have to earn the downhills.

if you want downhill i would point you to new way down (dont try and climb it, unless you hate yourself) or the old koehler road trail (per trailforks trail names). Oreland is good but its kind of pedally for a downhill. orange down from the hawkwatch is good, (all the way down to the batcave, there is a stretch of fireroad in there tho) As is white down from the hawkwatch (either direction, north you will have to climb out of, south includes climbing as you go)

Bisquick

That's what I wound up putting together, optimized for 10ish miles and hitting as many trails as I could that you guys listed. If anyone see's I made any mistakes let me know. Thank everybody for the suggestions.

BPaze

Wish I could have given you a proper tour unfortunately I am out of country. Next time your up this way if you have fun I can show you around. Also Stephen's is only about a 25-30 min ride from Denville to further complicate the decisions

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i would probably avoid going back up that fire road when you get the bottom of reighter mine trail, what we usually do is go down meridan rd and then back on beach glenn.

There is a bridge now to cross the water, but its a hiking bridge (railings are at handlebar height and too narrow to ride between)

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm currently trying to figure out what the upper hiberina rd climb is. That next to the stream up to the dam?
I texted Utah but he hasn't gotten back to me in .02 seconds.

Side note, I might be up for this if you want company.

Bisquick

Wish I could have given you a proper tour unfortunately I am out of country. Next time your up this way if you have fun I can show you around. Also Stephen's is only about a 25-30 min ride from Denville to further complicate the decisions

i would probably avoid going back up that fire road when you get the bottom of reighter mine trail, what we usually do is go down meridan rd and then back on beach glenn.

There is a bridge now to cross the water, but its a hiking bridge (railings are at handlebar height and too narrow to ride between)

Is the whole road an issue (What is red. Also is the bridge in red or green section. Expected a walk along the green)? Or just the bridge? Really want to hit new way down (looks very steep) and the lookout point but dont know if I would pedal back up if I took beach glen all the way down.

1637782879610.png

I'm currently trying to figure out what the upper hiberina rd climb is. That next to the stream up to the dam?
I texted Utah but he hasn't gotten back to me in .02 seconds.

Side note, I might be up for this if you want company.

I have absolutely no idea where I am about to ride. And sure, shoot me a PM we can coordinate. I need to ride earlyish in the morning though. Expected back by 11:15 or so.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
New way down, which is definitely worth doing, kinda puts you in no mans land when trying to do a loop. I'm discussing with Utah a little.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The bridge is in your green section right where it changes to red. The firewood inthe red section is just boring. The green section may have hike a bike sections depending on your skill set.

If you can get Dave to come with you he should be able to navigate. Do you have an approximate start time? I may be able to get out too

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I got about two hours of playtime. Utah said if you really wanna do NWD one way is park at the Meridan lot by red and go clockwise from there, maybe hit Oreland then up Darlington, go back up HW and finish on NWD.

Bikeworks

I hit Tourne today, conditions were very good. Orange is definitely a challenge, with exposure and rocky, off-camber sections. Red has some good rock gardens and natural drops.

Top Bottom