DH Newbie!

jgtv22

I finally have a bike that can ride the trails at Mountain Creek but have never ridden DH. Does any one have any tips or recommendations on how to get started with DH. Is it best to take one of the offered courses / find a local to guide or just get out there and go...

Thanks

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i tried downhilling for the first time last year... had the same concerns about being in over my head and not knowing trails. i had @BiknBen help me out and show me around. and i had A TON of friggin' fun. i did pay him for the day for coaching and bought him lunch. :)

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not sure what bike you've got, but I suggest not riding it there. You will have a much better time if you rent a downhill bike instead.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Intense tracer 275 - Cane Creek double barrel rear shock with 165mm travel. Fox 36 up front 160mm.
More than capable bike , just go and explore start out on green and blue and when you get brave start with single black diamonds, it's easy to meet people on the lift up that are usually willing to show you around or give you pointers

V-Dub

Intense tracer 275 - Cane Creek double barrel rear shock with 165mm travel. Fox 36 up front 160mm.
Ryan is right, just watch the trail markings don't get in over your head and it will be awsome. I'll be around there Saturday and will be more happy to take a run or so with ya.

DownhillR3

I have no problem assisting. I'm available next week to be your tour guide and give pointers. An IMBA coach who works for free. :)

jgtv22

I have no problem assisting. I'm available next week to be your tour guide and give pointers. An IMBA coach who works for free. :)

That's awesome, I really appreciate he offer. Can you let me know when you might be free. I would love to ride this stuff! DM me if that's preferable.

jgtv22

I was thinking about getting an hour or two with one of the coaches.. For some reason it seems so different to my normal riding! I think I might be over thinking things!

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was thinking about getting an hour or two with one of the coaches.. For some reason it seems so different to my normal riding! I think I might be over thinking things!
i liked having Ben show me around but, mountain creek does also have the coaching there too. if it puts your mind at ease with the trails, just go for the lessons.

Gnick

i plan on doing that at some point. My biggest thing is that I'm not used to leaving the ground. corners and technical descents dont concern me as much, but I am not all that comfortable in drop offs and sailing over doubles and rollers.

jgtv22

I am planning on heading up there Friday afternoon or Saturday.. just going to see whats up. probably pay for an hour then just wing it! If any others new to DH want to join let me know or send me a DM.

Gnick

I am planning on heading up there Friday afternoon or Saturday.. just going to see whats up. probably pay for an hour then just wing it! If any others new to DH want to join let me know or send me a DM.
cant make it this weekend, but could prob do monday. most people have monday off next week.

jgtv22

Unfortunately I don't have Monday off but Friday. Go figure!

But I'd be up for meeting up and riding at mountain creek sometime. Hopefully by then I'll have been up there and be somewhat familiar.

V-Dub

If anyone needs help guide/coach hit up Dirt Rock n Root training, no one knows the moutain better

rxpxskier

I've taken a lesson at mountain creek, i cant recommend enough. I was hooked immediately, was talking about buying a DH bike after the first run... I still don't like leaving the ground for the big double and rollers (i think that comes in time and with confidence) but you can just roll over them or go around them. Ive been told if you can ride creek, you can ride anywhere.

jesstercpa

Going to be giving Mountain Creek a try on Sunday with a couple of the guys I ride with. First time there. First time on a full blown mountain since I went to Mt Snow back in the 90's.

Planning on taking it nice and easy to build some confidence.

DownhillR3

I used to be a coach at MCBP and Jeb is still holding down the fort with a wealth of knowledge on bike handling skills with a bag of tricks that will keep you improving!

jumpa

Solid. I ride a 160 travel bike at creek. It wears me out a little faster than a full on dh sled but it's a capable travel level at creek. Still heaps of fun.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions