Difficulty of Green and Blue Runs

JTHolderman

My wife and I are hoping to make it to Diablo sometime this summer and am curious about the difficulty level of the green and blue runs. We are primarily XC riders and ride Six Mile Run and Clayton Park most frequently. Is the green comparable to the tough sections on these rides, or is the green comparatively more difficult? Any info would be great!

JT

mandi

Diablo is nothing like Six Mile or Clayton. To be completely honest with you the Green at Diablo is not easy. I'm not sure how much skill level you both have with downhill and rocks but make sure you're 100% comfortable before going there.

I went last year and was shocked with the "easy" trails (and I love going downhill.) Granted I was riding my SS and my body was being pounded the whole time! Are you planning on renting DH bikes? I would highly suggest them, and padding. It's definitely worth going to at least once though, you will have a blast!

roc

Diablo is nuts!! the green at diablo is 3 times as hard as any trail at wawa, allamuchy, ringwood or jungle!! the place is crazy hard, bring a downhill bike with fullface mask and full body armor

jimf

I think the single hardest thing is not the technical difficultly of the green and blue trails, its the speed. Without trying or even pedaling, you will be going way faster for a longer duration than you would go even on the steepest parts of Ringwood, Waway or JH. That said, if you want to go(and I think everyone who does xc should try it at least once) rent a bike and go for the guided rides that they have once it opens daily(check the website, they have some deals where you get 2 hrs, helmet, armour and bike for 60 bucks or something like that)

on a side note, I do think some trails are mislabeled there, Lower greenhorn is more difficult in my view than alpine, I think alpine is labeled a single black diamond because of the wall rides and jumps, but you can skip the wall rides and roll all the jumps. Lower greenhorn has a couple of very tight turns that are hard to take with any speed.

Go and try it, dont be surprised if you find yourself addicted and looking for a dual crown beast on pinkbike/ebay after your first time.

ebarker9

As everyone else has said, rent bikes if you're going to try it. Riding DH is probably more similar to motocross than it is to XC mountain biking.

Definitely either take advantage of the "guided" tours or hook up with someone who is patient and knows the place. Initially I would recommend taking the Upper Greenhorn trail and then riding down the fire-road to the IndyCross course. If you're experienced riders, then either Lower Greenhorn or Alpine is a good option, but my beginner friends that I took last year did not like Lower Greenhorn at all due to the tight turns. Also, the new "Breakout 11" trail is tons of fun and very ride-able for someone of decent XC skills.

And don't be afraid to ask for directions/advice/whatever. People are generally friendly and will be happy to show you around.

JTHolderman

thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone! I really appreciate the community on these forums and the knowledge you all share with those of us who are looking for information on new rides. I think i'll take your advice on the guided ride and rent a bike one of these coming weekends, think I might have to go alone since I don't think my wife would find this "fun."

Thanks

I Ride Bikes

I would reccommend riding a dh or freeride bike there otherwise your going to punish your bike and your body. There rental packages are affordable. I think around $100.

Any blue or green trail is fast fun and flowy

People on this site are always posting rides there. Look out for posts. Its always better riding with someone.

The place is awesome and if you live somewhere close you should go. Some people arent lucky enough to live so close to a place like diablo. Take advantage of it and have fun.

ebarker9

Yup. I'm up there at least one day most weekends, so you can always hit me up if you're looking for someone to show you around.

This is on my "vacation to do list" this summer. I'll be heading up but as of now, cannot find anyone to go with me...

I've looked at the rental packages and they are really reasonable! For the gear you get... the price cannot be beat.

My bud that I usually ride with has no real interest in going to Diablo so I'm now more or less just looking for a riding bud to go with.

I'll be watching the rides section for outings.

goldsbar

Another vote for the rental bike. Green and blue aren't that hard with a rental but would be hard at speed with your typical xc bike. Those DH bikes make a huge difference in confidence; you can tell they can take a lot on the first pedal stroke. IMO, DH (with a DH bike) and a XC downhill have little in common. I'll go as far to say being good at one doesn't correlate 100% with being good at the other.

Also agree that some runs are misrated. IIRC, the smooth blue under the lift is easier than the techy green part under the lift which is actually the hardest part of the green. Some "groomed" blacks aren't that hard as you can avoid/wimp out on the manmade obstacles with ease if you choose. The natural black runs can be super techy and lots of fun. Do expect to fall. Rent gear. The double blacks can be insane.

I've only been twice during the week and the place was empty. Understand weekends can be really crowded.

mtn

Rent a bike and just go there. If you can get the guided tour, then good for you, but if you can't, just go and hop in a group that looks novice or ask an experienced rider.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions