Favorite Audio Books

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What are your top 3 audio books? I am looking for a handful as I have some Audible credits to use. I need some direction on what people enjoyed.

I do not have a long enough history to list anything. But I feel that these 3 different mediums are different experiences:

* physical book in hand
* e-book
* audio book

I tend towards easy SciFi with e-books, more complex fiction and/or non-fiction with physical books, and non-fiction audio books though I am not sure I have listened to enough of them to say.

Suggestions?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is not like cryptonomicon. This is a much faster paced, but also long ass book.
DC6D83E3-7F1F-43C2-A5F9-3C36EE1D850E.jpeg

This is way more sci fi. Also awesome.
CB2B4634-158F-439F-A06A-3EE7FE91C474.jpeg

This is a quick and easy one that @seanrunnette recommended.
FD6F75C0-129C-4498-B3BA-E20BED5ABD7D.jpeg

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
PS. I don’t know if these are my favorite, but highly recommended

1TrackMind

Just finished A Deadly Wandering on audiobook, a non fiction with an enjoyable storyline. It’s about a kid who killed two rocket scientists while texting and driving, the science behind attention/distraction, and legal case against the driver. You should see if your library supports the Libby app, that’s where I get all my audiobooks from for my commute.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The only audio book I've listened to is The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. He also narrates it. LOVED IT!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Subscribing. Over the summer on car trips we borrowed some audio books for the kids from the library. Grisham has some great mystery/crime books for them. Loved the idea of driving and listening.

If anyone has any Lord of the Rings, or mystery, or horror like Stephen King post it up.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Agree with @jShort. Reamde is the most un-Neal Stephenson book that Neal Stephenson ever wrote. Fast paced with lots of action, better appreciated by IT nerds I think. Seveneves is amazing and totally worth reading, although I felt the last third wasn't that great compared to the first two thirds. Would still absolutely recommend it.

I assume you've already read The Martian, but definitely read/listen if not.

The audio book for Ready Player One is read by Wil Wheaton and I really enjoyed the story and his performance. The movie sucked, so don't go by that.

I'm gonna download The Graveyard now, haven't read any Neil Gaiman recently. Thanks @MissJR!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jShort good stuff. I also did 14 based on Sean recommendation and I think I got it for $5. Will check the other 2.

roc

I just listened to ”the Paris architect“ driving to Cincinnati, definitely worth a listen. I used to listen to books on tape, when they were on tape, from what I can remember, Leon Uris “trinity“ was really good.
I also listened to Nelson demille books, for some reason “by the rivers of Babylon“ comes to mind
its historical fiction, so if that’s not your thing, you may not like it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Taking a flier on Trinity here as it has popped up repeatedly over the last 20 years.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I enjoyed this a lot.

I am listening to the sequel now which sucks.

BD55C6D4-0F8B-4002-BB4B-39D38D86F644.jpeg

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I go through several audio books a week. The narrator makes a huge difference for me, I often seek out all the books done by a specific narrator when I find one I like. My favorite narrators are probably Frank muller and will Patton. As mentioned before Neil Gaiman is a great author narrator. I also like john hodgman’s narration of his books.
I also get all my audio books through the nyc public library (using the libby app) so I’m limited to what I get for free.
Some audiobooks I’ve enjoyed recently that are pretty universal and not necessarily of my weird taste are the Lost city of z, the stranger in the woods, and the white darkness.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Frank muller
Holy cats! He's still missed.
Cracked up his motorcycle years ago. Struggled for a long time, but never recorded again. Passed away a while ago. One of the greatest. Steven King never had a better reader.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@MissJR take a look at Gaimon's Neverwhere. Gorgeous book. Read by himself on audible. Also done as a bbc audio drama, but skip that...

Jmann

Holy cats! He's still missed.
Cracked up his motorcycle years ago. Struggled for a long time, but never recorded again. Passed away a while ago. One of the greatest. Steven King never had a better reader.
Yeah, tragic story and loss. He was amazing. I really like his work on Comanche moon and All the pretty horses. A bummer is that he was so early to the audiobook game that some of the books he did have more recently been redone with other narrators, and his versions are hard to find.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, the rights contract for an audiobook recording is usually 7-10 years. After that, if there's a revision in the book, or the publishing company changes, or sells the audio rights, the book gets re-recorded. (I'm re-recording a massive series, from the beginning. 18 books and counting.) It's a shame, cause those first recordings, made back before the industry turned into an assembly line, were often amazing.

Last edited:

serviceguy

Audio books seems like a great idea to me, unfortunately for some reason I cannot detach the entertainment purposed reading experience from paper books, which I love as objects, regardless their value and format (paperback, hardcover etc.). Work is a different think though, I'd rather have no paper at all. I'm weird I guess. Some good reading ideas in this thread.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Audio books seems like a great idea to me, unfortunately for some reason I cannot detach the entertainment purposed reading experience from paper books, which I love as objects, regardless their value and format (paperback, hardcover etc.). Work is a different think though, I'd rather have no paper at all. I'm weird I guess. Some good reading ideas in this thread.

I find certain things work better than others in different mediums. I do still enjoy a physical book in many cases.

Jmann

Yeah, the rights contract for an audiobook recording is usually 7-10 years. After that, if there's a revision in the book, or the publishing company changes, or sells the audio rights, the book gets re-recorded. (I'm re-recording a massive series, from the beginning. 18 books and counting.) It's a shame, cause often those first recordings, made back before the industry turned into an assembly line, were often amazing.
Wow, you’re a busy man. I’m going to check out pastures of heaven, and probably the heinlein. Despite reading a lot of heinlein adjacent fiction I’ve yet to touch his work. 0F69B31E-D679-40ED-875F-FC0C6F5617E0.png

Top Bottom