First time @ Huber and I'm used to riding very FLAT south-south Jersey. Advice?

kjarrett

Working a trail crew in the morning (5/19) at Huber and was planning to ride afterwards. Could use some advice.

I've got a vintage Diamond Back with (by modern standards, barely any) front suspension. The trails I ride here at home are pretty flat, very flowy. I recently did a 20+ miler and gained only 500 feet of elevation. I'm in ok shape, 195 pounds, ride pretty often but just don't have much in my legs or lungs for significant climbing (based on a recent experience at Wayway). That's why I wanted to try Huber, as opposed to Hartshorne, which is also on my list. I also ride Allaire regularly and recently did two 5 mile loops on Orange averaging just under 9 mph (250' of climbing per lap), had a great time. Love Allaire!

I've got Trailforks here and was wondering if you all had suggestions for how to explore the place, given the above.

Thanks in advance!

thegock

Working a trail crew in the morning (5/19) at Huber and was planning to ride afterwards. Could use some advice.

I've got a vintage Diamond Back with (by modern standards, barely any) front suspension. The trails I ride here at home are pretty flat, very flowy. I recently did a 20+ miler and gained only 500 feet of elevation. I'm in ok shape, 195 pounds, ride pretty often but just don't have much in my legs or lungs for significant climbing (based on a recent experience at Wayway). That's why I wanted to try Huber, as opposed to Hartshorne, which is also on my list. I also ride Allaire regularly and recently did two 5 mile loops on Orange averaging just under 9 mph (250' of climbing per lap), had a great time. Love Allaire!

I've got Trailforks here and was wondering if you all had suggestions for how to explore the place, given the above.

Thanks in advance!

If you are riding 9mph for 10 miles at Allaire Orange, you will be fine at Huber with slightly more vert. You can loop clockwise or CCW, doe we have been riding it CCW lately. There is one trail that has "Horses Only" signs posted.

Karate Monkey

You can do some magic figure 8 ish stuff to hit (almost) everything without any turn arounds.

This is an example of the above, and at ~8.5 miles, is only 800-something feet. As a local/frequenter of both parks, I can promise you that there are only a handful of things more punishing in Hartshorne: climbing over the ridge in Buttermilk Valley is one, and climbing Grand Tour (either direction, for different reasons) towards the water tower. Rocky Point has a couple of hinky sections, but if you've got the juice to climb the other stuff, that's not a problem, either (other than poor choice of line).

If I 1) wasn't working, 2) wasn't prohibited from riding until Friday, and 3) had a lined up schedule, I'd offer to give you a grand tour (*ba dum tish*) of either/both parks. If you're in the area, in fact, I don't mind guiding. Since I get up almost every day at 5:30-6:00, my "days off", I usually put wheels down ~10:00 at the earliest.

kjarrett

That is super helpful, thanks! I’m going to download that Strava route onto my Garmin. I have been wanting to ride Huber and Hartshorne for a long time, and I’m sure I will be back up in the area sometime soon. Really appreciate the offer of a guided tour, that would be fantastic. Much appreciated!

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
That is super helpful, thanks! I’m going to download that Strava route onto my Garmin. I have been wanting to ride Huber and Hartshorne for a long time, and I’m sure I will be back up in the area sometime soon. Really appreciate the offer of a guided tour, that would be fantastic. Much appreciated!
I'm local too I can give u a tour most mornings.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@kjarrett thanks for the trail work you are about to do. Many of us that frequent the Hartshorne/Huber trails also are part of the trails team and appreciate all the recent love being shown to these parks. Don't sweat riding Huber, just go have fun, its not big so no need to worry about getting lost and you'll have a blast! @Karate Monkey posted a nice loop(s) that covers most of it. If a weekend I can also give you a tour...the only ask is that (as @thegock ) mentioned, please do not ride on the non-mtb trails (the other side of Bowne Rd that @Karate Monkey posted). Tomorrow will be awesome weather for the TM and ride...jealous i have to work!

kjarrett

@kjarrett thanks for the trail work you are about to do. Many of us that frequent the Hartshorne/Huber trails also are part of the trails team and appreciate all the recent love being shown to these parks. Don't sweat riding Huber, just go have fun, its not big so no need to worry about getting lost and you'll have a blast! @Karate Monkey posted a nice loop(s) that covers most of it. If a weekend I can also give you a tour...the only ask is that (as @thegock ) mentioned, please do not ride on the non-mtb trails (the other side of Bowne Rd that @Karate Monkey posted). Tomorrow will be awesome weather for the TM and ride...jealous i have to work!
Absolutely will do - much appreciated. I love doing trail work, it's a good time and great cause. Weather has been incredible lately, weekend looks good, too!

mfennell

If you're coming from south, be sure to use a road-conditions-aware GPS. There's a bridge closed on Navesink River Road which is probably how a non-networked GPS will route you.

kjarrett

Thanks, everyone, for all your help!

Had an awesome morning working a Huber trail crew and an even better afternoon riding. Karate Monkey's route was perfect (thanks so much), I got a nice workout and only had to hike-a-bike a few times. :) This is probably my new favorite trail system, damn shame it's a 1.5 hour drive. :/ Definitely at my limit physically and skills-wise in some of the climbs but overall it was super flowy and a great ride. Trails were quiet, only a few people hiking, and one or two other MTB'ers. Wonderful place.

BTW, the first photo below is a spot bunch of us fixed on a trail crew last November. I dunno if more work was needed afterwards but it doesn't look like it. Nice to know our improvement is holding up so well!

Thanks again, everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_9502.jpg
    IMG_9502.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_9518.jpg
    IMG_9518.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_9532.jpg
    IMG_9532.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 144

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks, everyone, for all your help!

Had an awesome morning working a Huber trail crew and an even better afternoon riding. Karate Monkey's route was perfect (thanks so much), I got a nice workout and only had to hike-a-bike a few times. :) This is probably my new favorite trail system, damn shame it's a 1.5 hour drive. :/ Definitely at my limit physically and skills-wise in some of the climbs but overall it was super flowy and a great ride. Trails were quiet, only a few people hiking, and one or two other MTB'ers. Wonderful place.

BTW, the first photo below is a spot bunch of us fixed on a trail crew last November. I dunno if more work was needed afterwards but it doesn't look like it. Nice to know our improvement is holding up so well!

Thanks again, everyone!
Awesome...glad you had a good time...what a day to ride!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions