First Time

slinky

Hey, I'm planning a trip with my buddies from Freehold and was wondering what trails have the best flow. From looking at the map, it seems like parking at the top of the mountain at the trailhead by the powerlines and taking the trails down to the church parking area would offer a good "downhill" experience. Any other suggestions?

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Hey, I'm planning a trip with my buddies from Freehold and was wondering what trails have the best flow. From looking at the map, it seems like parking at the top of the mountain at the trailhead by the powerlines and taking the trails down to the church parking area would offer a good "downhill" experience. Any other suggestions?

some good climbs here, bring your legs and lungs :)

I like to park at the church road lot, do a small warmup in Washington's xing and then head up the mountain.

This is my typical loop at BP:

http://app.strava.com/rides/19772032

Just skip that little out back thing in the middle of the loop on the left, it dead ends. (exploration)

Fixed Link^^

Last edited:

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
mike - that link didn't work for me. does this route point them down that switchback thing you took me down? that's a must!

My bad, You know why that link didn't work Dave ;)

Link Fixed...

It definitely includes going down the switchbacks! :)

Last edited:

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
My bad, You know why that link didn't work Dave ;)

Link Fixed, just skip that little out back thing in the middle of the loop on the left, it dead ends.

It definitely includes going down the switchbacks! :)

hahaha! now it makes sense!

that other last downhill where your tire burped is a good one too.

slinky

Thanks for the info guys, I never got around to going because of school, but I'm probably going to wind up out there during winter break. It seems like there is about a mile of decent downhill which gets me excited.

michael.su

JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the info guys, I never got around to going because of school, but I'm probably going to wind up out there during winter break. It seems like there is about a mile of decent downhill which gets me excited.

Yeah, you'll have fun. (as long as you like climbing too) You are either climbing or descending at BP. There really isn't much flat except maybe part of the ridge trail (White). Just be mindful of the other user groups. BP like Allaire has horses, hikers birdwatchers etc. If you want to go fast, you are best off going early before it get's busy ;-)
The other thing to consider is the hunting schedule. When hunting is allowed, Baldpate is closed to other users.

The hunting schedule is posted here:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28848

Last edited:

slinky

Yeah, you'll have fun. (as long as you like climbing too) You are either climbing or descending at BP. There really isn't much flat except maybe part of the ridge trail (White). Just be mindful of the other user groups. BB like Allaire has horses, hikers birdwatchers etc. If you want to go fast, you are best off going early before it get's busy ;-)
The other thing to consider is the hunting schedule. When hunting is allowed, Baldpate is closed to other users.

The hunting schedule is posted here:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28848

Do the trails really get that much use by other people? I've been to allaire so many times where I've had a problem parking at the trail head, yet I ran into no one on the trails. Maybe I got lucky. Either way, it looks like an awesome place.

Top Bottom