Frenchtown Preserve Conditions

SAM

I have never been down there, and I'm in only 10 minutes away. Is it actual single track?
Yes, mostly single track. If you like roots and rocks (tech??), then you'll be disappointed, although there is some on the eastern side near the parking lot (e.g., Orange down from parking lot). Otherwise, no rocks and maybe one section of roots I can think of. Lots of tight single track turns through cedars with some flow sections and little elevation change. Fun.

Cole

Yes, mostly single track. If you like roots and rocks (tech??), then you'll be disappointed, although there is some on the eastern side near the parking lot (e.g., Orange down from parking lot). Otherwise, no rocks and maybe one section of roots I can think of. Lots of tight single track turns through cedars with some flow sections and little elevation change. Fun.
Nice, maybe tomorrow then.

Reactions: SAM

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
No posts for almost a year! No love for the Frenchtown Preserve, I guess?

I've been riding it pretty regularly lately. Rode today and the trails are are in good shape. Green trails are somewhat overgrown, as usual, but not as bad as they've been in the past. The green trail loop north of where it says Frenchtown Preserve on the map below is the most over grown. Also, that loop has a large tree down blocking the trail with no way around for a few weeks now. I marked it's location on the map. Not sure who to report this to. It's a little more than I can handle with a hand saw, but I'm willing to help with a chainsaw (mine is electric, so not much help).

View attachment 194874
View attachment 194875
Not sure if the Kyle that does most of the work here is on the forum. I will let him know about this.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice, maybe tomorrow then.
I'll try to get out there with some clippers this week and take a look at the downed tree. FYI, the mountain bikers don't really maintain green, we leave that to the horse peeps.

SAM

I'll try to get out there with some clippers this week and take a look at the downed tree. FYI, the mountain bikers don't really maintain green, we leave that to the horse peeps.
Interesting. Haven't ever seen horse sign (you know what) on any of the trails in FP and certainly not on the overgrown Green Trails marked as "Horse Trail" on the D&R Greenway map of FP. With the amount of dodging and ducking on those greens, no way horse riders would get thru.

From my experience and looking back thru earlier posts going back years in this thread, it seems the "grassy" green trails are usually overgrown. I'd rate them as somewhere between barely rideable and impassable on a bike, let alone a horse. I do see a single track made by bikes through most of the overgrown sections, so it seems the mountain bikers do use those trails while horse riders obviously do not. That said, the grassier green trails do get maintained, although very minimally. Not sure who is doing that.

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 11.16.28 AM.png

SAM

Trails were in good shape today except most parts of the Green Trails are extremely overgrown, as usual. Too bad mtbers can't care for Green trails because they are very useful as connectors.

Anyway, there was a small tree down across Red and I guess the horse peeps didn't get to the tree that is still blocking the Green trail. See map below for locations.

Tree across Red, unless that's a feature?
IMG_4458.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 11.16.28 AM.png

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the FYI. If it's not raining, doing some TM here tomorrow morning is on my to-do list. The tree on red looks like something I can manage. The tree on green will probably be there indefinitely.

one piece crank

Thanks for the FYI. If it's not raining, doing some TM here tomorrow morning is on my to-do list. The tree on red looks like something I can manage. The tree on green will probably be there indefinitely.
I have not been riding off-road this Summer, or I would have taken care of those trees. I should be back on the Fat in October so I'll bring the saw with me...

one piece crank

Trails were in good shape today except most parts of the Green Trails are extremely overgrown, as usual. Too bad mtbers can't care for Green trails because they are very useful as connectors.

Anyway, there was a small tree down across Red and I guess the horse peeps didn't get to the tree that is still blocking the Green trail. See map below for locations.

Tree across Red, unless that's a feature?
View attachment 195834

SAM - depending on your riding ability, I consider the Tree on Red to be a play-thing...maybe build one-side so it can be rolled, then leave one-side for hopping.

SAM

SAM - depending on your riding ability, I consider the Tree on Red to be a play-thing...maybe build one-side so it can be rolled, then leave one-side for hopping.
I thought it was hoppable too, but thought I'd report it because that kinda feature doesn't really exist at FT Preserve.

I may bring a saw next time and get started on that tree on Green.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Green is cleared.
Also cleaned up some of the log unders. 😉

I'd say a dozen people with hedge trimmers, loppers, and string trimmers could knock the place out in four hours

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Wow! Thanks a lot! I'm gonna go check it out.

that section of green is a bit overgrown - it is a nice connector.

I walked the section of red after that to the north edge (yellow)
moved some other stuff - but seems i wasn't on a popular trail given the trail bed.

SAM

that section of green is a bit overgrown - it is a nice connector.

I walked the section of red after that to the north edge (yellow)
moved some other stuff - but seems i wasn't on a popular trail given the trail bed.

Yeah, some parts of yellow may be less popular. The whole park is not that popular but it's a great local place IMO.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I thought it was hoppable too, but thought I'd report it because that kinda feature doesn't really exist at FT Preserve.

I may bring a saw next time and get started on that tree on Green.
Hey, there is a wooden drop on red if heading in the east to west direction! :p At least there used to be. It's hard to build any features here because the tight curvy nature of the trails results in pretty low speeds. IMO drops and jumps at low speed = lame. The yellow/green intersection on the 29 side used to have some sweet jumps built on it, but whatever local kids were building those must have grown up and left.

I've been riding this place since it's inception (live locally). 10+ years ago it was just the green trail built by the horse peeps. About 10 years ago a mtb'er got the township approval to build what is now parts of the orange trail. Yellow has always been around due to walkers out of the apartment complex. The red and blue have evolved thanks to a few dedicated mtbers. A couple rogue bridges and drops have been built on red. The active powers-to-be seem to change every few years which is to be expected. Boy scouts put the kiosk and the bridge on yellow (close to horseshoe bend lot) in. If anyone has ridden that bridge, you know a mtber did NOT design it. I have reached out to the local boy scouts to see if someone wanted to put in a proper bridge in the wet section of red as their eagle scout project, but had no takers.

Anyway, if it doesn't rain this weekend, I'll head over there with my saw and do what I can.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
BTW, all my past doggies ashes are sprinkled out over these trails, mostly on green and blue. And I had a very interesting interaction with my current dog (avatar Dane) and a coyote on the orange trail. So if you ever see dog ghosts on the trails here, they are mine :)

SAM

Hey, there is a wooden drop on red if heading in the east to west direction! :p At least there used to be. It's hard to build any features here because the tight curvy nature of the trails results in pretty low speeds. IMO drops and jumps at low speed = lame. The yellow/green intersection on the 29 side used to have some sweet jumps built on it, but whatever local kids were building those must have grown up and left.

I've been riding this place since it's inception (live locally). 10+ years ago it was just the green trail built by the horse peeps. About 10 years ago a mtb'er got the township approval to build what is now parts of the orange trail. Yellow has always been around due to walkers out of the apartment complex. The red and blue have evolved thanks to a few dedicated mtbers. A couple rogue bridges and drops have been built on red. The active powers-to-be seem to change every few years which is to be expected. Boy scouts put the kiosk and the bridge on yellow (close to horseshoe bend lot) in. If anyone has ridden that bridge, you know a mtber did NOT design it. I have reached out to the local boy scouts to see if someone wanted to put in a proper bridge in the wet section of red as their eagle scout project, but had no takers.

Anyway, if it doesn't rain this weekend, I'll head over there with my saw and do what I can.
I agree FTP is more about twists and turns that keep speed down than jumps and drops. I've tried to ride that bumpy boardwalk across the wet section on yellow close to parking. I ride next to it when every it is dry enough, like I think most do. I guess, because there is a slight elevation change, the cross pieces are to make the boardwalk less slippery when the wood is wet. Right Idea but grooves cut in the wood, lower height on the cross pieces, or wider spacing would make it more rideable.

I am not complaining. I really appreciate all the work that's gone into make the mtb trail system at FTP. It's a lot of fun.

Top Bottom