GCC trails rideable during XC season?

jayres6

so, I went to GCC last friday afternoon and two things caught my attention:

1.) after the prologue/start/finish area, a construciton fence was pulled very tight to the trees at the re-entry after the little steep climb. you could still squeeze through, but it certainly seemed like it was placed to keep people out.

2.) a little sign (written on a piece of notebook paper and taped to a tree) saying: "XC season. no bikes"

are we not supposed to ride the trails during cross country season? This is the first time I've ever seen anything like this there, but I don't ride there a lot...

JDurk

so, I went to GCC last friday afternoon and two things caught my attention:

1.) after the prologue/start/finish area, a construciton fence was pulled very tight to the trees at the re-entry after the little steep climb. you could still squeeze through, but it certainly seemed like it was placed to keep people out.

2.) a little sign (written on a piece of notebook paper and taped to a tree) saying: "XC season. no bikes"

are we not supposed to ride the trails during cross country season? This is the first time I've ever seen anything like this there, but I don't ride there a lot...

The construction fence has been there for awhile and the climb was used on race day of the D&Q Summer Sizzler. A friend was riding there last Tuesday and saw the signs too. He mentioned some logs were placed across a trail by the sign. Also said that more wood chips have been spread on the trails. Don't know what's up about riding during XC season as I don't ever remember it being an issue.

MikeP

hardly a official sign (handwritten on notebook paper), I wonder if anybody has asked the college about it. The woodchips that the spread out on a lot of the hills makes the climbs pretty un-fun. If I really wanted to ride there I'd maybe just do sundays, since cross country runners have races on Saturdays. Honestly, I'd just avoid it until we get more info.

jayres6

agree on all accounts

I agree:

the sign was certainly not official.

there are new wood chips, and riding on wood chips stinks.

sundays sound good. during the week in the evening shouldn't be a problem either, I would think.

I'll have to spend more time at CCC. I haven't been there since they cut the road through the middle. It's a little easier to ride to GCCC from home, but I'll live :)

MikeP

I agree:

the sign was certainly not official.

there are new wood chips, and riding on wood chips stinks.

sundays sound good. during the week in the evening shouldn't be a problem either, I would think.

I'll have to spend more time at CCC. I haven't been there since they cut the road through the middle. It's a little easier to ride to GCCC from home, but I'll live :)

CCC is 3 blocks from my house, I'm there alot. We just got done adding a new section off 1 Mile, it's hard to miss. There's been some weedwhacking done too.

glide

We need to keep in mind the trails true purpose is for the college xc team. The wood chips impede riding but I get it when thinking from a xc runners perspective. Plus, six-months later those compressed chips help with some of GCC's notorious roots. I dont believe the chips or the construction fence are intended to deter mtb and as previously stated I don't put much stock in a notebook-paper sign.

I am thankful the college allows us to ride and race on their grounds and during the next three months (XC running season) we need to act gracious.

jayres6

We need to keep in mind the trails true purpose is for the college xc team. The wood chips impede riding but I get it when thinking from a xc runners perspective. Plus, six-months later those compressed chips help with some of GCC's notorious roots. I dont believe the chips or the construction fence are intended to deter mtb and as previously stated I don't put much stock in a notebook-paper sign.

I am thankful the college allows us to ride and race on their grounds and during the next three months (XC running season) we need to act gracious.

I totally agree. that's why I was asking the questions.

the last thing I want to do is ride there and jeapardize our ability to ride there at all.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
would seem like a good idea to give the coaches a call and get the schedule, - maybe offer to make some more "official looking" signage to show them the respect that is being talked about??

I'd hate to step in a tire rut while racing.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions