Going to work for a startup

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
So first week in the books the guy showing me around has been doing this since my dad was a teenager. I am working with talent at every meeting and must admit I'm intimidated by every other person being an MIT or Harvard graduate. I made the right decision I just need to catchup as fast as possible.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
A bunch of my coworkers came from Google or other equally impressive places. Imposter syndrome is a real thing. I've been faking it for like 4.5 years so far though, eventually I'm gonna make it.

I had the guts to ask my favorite coworker about going to Harvard and they'd rather have their money back. Helped bring them back to earth in my eyes, I guess it's not as magical as I thought. Seems like it was mostly a networking event that I would never take advantage of.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
So first week in the books the guy showing me around has been doing this since my dad was a teenager. I am working with talent at every meeting and must admit I'm intimidated by every other person being an MIT or Harvard graduate. I made the right decision I just need to catchup as fast as possible.

The opposite of my son's situation. As a 21 year old intern he got to show around a 50 something who will probably end up being his boss next year.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
The opposite of my son's situation. As a 21 year old intern he got to show around a 50 something who will probably end up being his boss next year.

Tell him to apply out this is the time to do it. I almost have 10 years on your son with 2 kids and single income. The time to take risks is now for him.

My income and move will give me the financial safety next I need to continue taking less conservative moves

Internships are scams

one piece crank

The only real Flair. Anything less and you're fooling yourself, or seriously injured.

i

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
Tell him to apply out this is the time to do it. I almost have 10 years on your son with 2 kids and single income. The time to take risks is now for him.

My income and move will give me the financial safety next I need to continue taking less conservative moves

Internships are scams
He's still in his senior year. He starts there full time in May.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Not all. We had a summer intern program that lead to full time positions for some of them. And then they have a head start vs new hires off the street.

I saw the opposite when I was in school maybe it was because of post recession but the same goes with where my wife worked at the time(accounting firm) they dumped all their interns.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
I saw the opposite when I was in school maybe it was because of post recession but the same goes with where my wife worked at the time(accounting firm) they dumped all their interns.
All of the schools he had toured all pushed the advantages of internships as a way to get your foot in the door. Said it was typically a job offer for you to lose. If you perform well, you get the offer. He did, others didn't. Regardless, most kids need something relevant to put on their resume anyhow.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Regardless, most kids need something relevant to put on their resume anyhow.

100% this. When I graduated, I couldn't even get an interview because I had no experience. I ended up hanging drywall for my dad for a year while taking night classes at Chubb. An internship or two surely would have made getting interviews easier.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
All of the schools he had toured all pushed the advantages of internships as a way to get your foot in the door. Said it was typically a job offer for you to lose. If you perform well, you get the offer. He did, others didn't. Regardless, most kids need something relevant to put on their resume anyhow.

I'm just speaking to my experience I know it differs from others. Speaking to your resume joining open source projects or building up your own portfolio (in my case) seems to be enough.

Top Bottom