Greenpond area trails, anyone ride them?

kaitlyn

Hi peeps. Wildcat ridge is my local ride. Did you know that the abandoned buildings along Up and Over are where the X15 spaceplane engines were tested?

Anyways, I was looking on ridewithgps and noticed that there are a whole slew of trails that aren't on trailforks. Has anyone ridden them? How are they?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 1.35.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 1.35.39 PM.png
    191.4 KB · Views: 144

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did you know that the abandoned buildings along Up and Over are where the X15 spaceplane engines were tested?

Yeah, and they dumped their chemicals in the ground, which is why it's a Superfund site. I've gone back there, but probably not a great idea to spend too much time in there.

That stuff in the pic is mostly woods roads and atv trails. There's some pretty cool old mines back there, and you can use it to get from up by Craigmeur down to Egbert Lake or Wildcat without touching Green Pond Rd.

Where the trail ends at the bottom left of that pic there are Picatinny Arsenal no trespassing signs, so it doesn't really go anywhere.

kaitlyn

Yeah, and they dumped their chemicals in the ground, which is why it's a Superfund site. I've gone back there, but probably not a great idea to spend too much time in there.

That stuff in the pic is mostly woods roads and atv trails. There's some pretty cool old mines back there, and you can use it to get from up by Craigmeur down to Egbert Lake or Wildcat without touching Green Pond Rd.

Where the trail ends at the bottom left of that pic there are Picatinny Arsenal no trespassing signs, so it doesn't really go anywhere.
Hey, at least they removed that asbestos covered pipe what used to line Lake Denmark Road. And dug up the barrel of radioactives that someone left there. Ah, Jersey.
I'll have to poke around a bit more in the Greenpond area. Lost a pedal today so I limped home.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Trails on private property, which I believe those are, are not designated trails, or are hidden in TF as to not encourage trespassing. If you turn on the open street base map layer, you can see all the trails.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions