Headset servicing

Karate Monkey

(Back to the original question) Depending on what I'm doing I've used an old fork to hold stem/bars etc in place while I service a fork or such. Kinda makes me wonder if there's a product on the market that would be easier. Heck a PVC tube in the right diameter with some sorta stop would be fine. Maybe the 3D print crowd could get on this? @shrpshtr325 ?

EVT makes one. It is $$$ (for what it is) as expected.

You can easily make one with the tapered steerer from a ruined fork. Chop off the crown, and then give the outside of the remaining (straight) steerer a light sanding to slightly undersize it. If you have access to flaring/tapering equipment, you can then take the original top of the steerer, and taper it for easy insertion.

rlb

My solution in action

PXL_20230428_234512941.jpg

rlb

Why is sliding the garbage can under the bike and using it as a rest not the easiest solution?
It is now that you mention it. The garbage can was probably overflowing the first time I did this so it wouldn't have been an option.

serviceguy

Kind of lost track, but would this be related to the thread?

I mentioned it months ago but I don’t think I ever shared…I did fit a Formula speedlock adapter to my rear brake Shimano caliper so I could bleed the rear brake removing the whole system from the frame.I had to source specific o-rings for the banjo adapter. Turns out the banjo to caliper (Formula to Shimano) using the o-rings I sized is pretty tight and doesn’t leak, the speedlock hose to the adapter, a Formula proprietary system…leaky! Moving back to regular banjo hose soon.

As you can see the hose side can sneak everywhere the actual hose can , it’s the same outer diameter.

IMG_7177.jpeg

IMG_7179.jpeg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Kind of lost track, but would this be related to the thread?

I mentioned it months ago but I don’t think I ever shared…I did fit a Formula speedlock adapter to my rear brake Shimano caliper so I could bleed the rear brake removing the whole system from the frame.I had to source specific o-rings for the banjo adapter. Turns out the banjo to caliper (Formula to Shimano) using the o-rings I sized is pretty tight and doesn’t leak, the speedlock hose to the adapter, a Formula proprietary system…leaky! Moving back to regular banjo hose soon.

As you can see the hose side can sneak everywhere the actual hose can , it’s the same outer diameter.

View attachment 212671
View attachment 212672

These would be cool to install right at the lever if there's enough room.

serviceguy

These would be cool to install right at the lever if there's enough room.
I could not locate the proper adapter, they only sell a Formula specific adapter for the lever. I had great hope for this setup, unfortunately the very system that I inspired the setup is the one leaking, not the customized one...damn italians!

Top Bottom