Headset spec?

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I should know the answer to this but I don't and I'm admitting it. I have a frame where the head tube is not tapered, both top and bottom ID is around 44mm. How should I buy a tapered headset for that frame to fit a tapered fork where the top of the fork's steer tube is 1-1/8" and the bottom is 1.5"? I've only built bikes where the top and bottom of the frame's head tube are also tapered. TIA.

My IndyFab Steel Deluxe has a 44mm headtube with a Chris King headset used with an Enve carbon fork that has a tapered steerer tube.
IMG_20190629_184312504.jpg

This might help to figure out what you're looking for.

Last edited:
It's the same configuration as the El Mariachi so I think I can help. Top is ZS44 and bottom is a EC44, that configuration fits a 1 1/8- 1 1/2 tapered steerer tube (as shown on @JDurk 's picture right above). One thing though, define 'around 44mm"...

It's the same configuration as the El Mariachi so I think I can help. Top is ZS44 and bottom is a EC44, that configuration fits a 1 1/8- 1 1/2 tapered steerer tube (as shown on @JDurk 's picture right above). One thing though, define 'around 44mm"...
My caliper says 43.42mm. Is that close enough to 44mm?

Not really, that's closer to 43mm...what frame are we talking about?
I have a Gen 3 Stanton Sherpa Ti +. Since my measurement of the opening is a little over 43mm, a 43mm cup would be too loose in there. I thought a 44mm cup would make for a snug fit which is desired.... I think.

Last edited:
I have a Gen 3 Stanton Sherpa Ti +. Since my measurement of the opening is a little over 43mm, a 43mm cup would be too loose in there. I thought a 44mm cup would make for a snug fit which is desired.... I think.
You're good according to Stanton's website... .56 mm interfence? Not good, any chance your measurement wasn't super accurate?

sherpa TI.JPG

Make sure that $12 Harbor freight caliper is zeroed out before you use it.
Excuse me, it was $19 from Amazon. LOL. I guess as long as the markings on the ruler don't shift the measurements should be close enough. I learned how to read various measuring instruments in the '80s before digital anything so I can always rely on that.

I reached out to Stanton and Dan Stanton responded and confirmed it is ZS 44 and EC 44. Can't wait to use my $8 home-made headset press again.

Back
Top Bottom