Home Equity Line of Credit

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Anyone have any experience with HELOC's? Financial advisor recommended we get a HELOC before paying off our mortgage. This is just in case of emergency use, so not looking for a loan, just an open line of credit. Since it will probably just sit idle for years, low fees would be more important than current interest rates.

pygmypony

Anyone have any experience with HELOC's? Financial advisor recommended we get a HELOC before paying off our mortgage. This is just in case of emergency use, so not looking for a loan, just an open line of credit. Since it will probably just sit idle for years, low fees would be more important than current interest rates.
we have had a HELOC available on our current residence since we moved in back in 2002. it's a relatively inexpensive way to give you some short termn (or long term if needed) liquidity.

as you pay your mortgage down, the available equity line you can get on a HELOC gets larger and larger, giving you even more flexibility.

also, ours is with Wells Fargo, where we also have our primary mortgage. say what you will about them, but they waive the annual $75 fee on the HELOC if you have your mortgage with them. so, if you have nothing drawn on the HELOC, it costs you nothing.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think a lot of banks stopped doing HELOCs after the crisis. I just looked at the WFC page, and they're currently unavailable.

pygmypony

I think a lot of banks stopped doing HELOCs after the crisis. I just looked at the WFC page, and they're currently unavailable.
wow, had no idea...

another option would be to do a cash out REFI in order to tap whatever excess equity it is you have in your house, and just redeposit that cash back into your savings account to "draw" on for a rainy day

it's definitely more costly than a HELOC, but can get you some flexibility / cash backstop if that's your aim

rick81721

Lothar
we have had a HELOC available on our current residence since we moved in back in 2002. it's a relatively inexpensive way to give you some short termn (or long term if needed) liquidity.

as you pay your mortgage down, the available equity line you can get on a HELOC gets larger and larger, giving you even more flexibility.

also, ours is with Wells Fargo, where we also have our primary mortgage. say what you will about them, but they waive the annual $75 fee on the HELOC if you have your mortgage with them. so, if you have nothing drawn on the HELOC, it costs you nothing.

We had the same thing on our previous house in NJ - wells fargo mortgage and heloc. Never had any issues with them.

Johnny Utah

wow, had no idea...

another option would be to do a cash out REFI in order to tap whatever excess equity it is you have in your house, and just redeposit that cash back into your savings account to "draw" on for a rainy day

it's definitely more costly than a HELOC, but can get you some flexibility / cash backstop if that's your aim
True, in addition you can write off the interest depending on your financial situation.

Many banks did away with HELOC’s during the crisis, but if the HELOC will be in a first lien position, and you are looking at a low LTV (loan to value, maybe under50%) it is a different story. Prior to the crisis you could grab a HELOC at 90% or more. Those days are done for a bit.

Most HELOCs will have a floating rate, some offer carve outs if you want to pull a large piece for a long term project (like a $100K Porsche).

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Back in '05 I had a HELOC from Chase... Prime less 75bps... During the crisis, when I only had drawn a small portion, they cut it. Fuckers.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
wow, had no idea...

Not looking for cash now. This is just in case we ever needed some fast. Have too much now which is why we're paying off the mortgage.

pygmypony

Not looking for cash now. This is just in case we ever needed some fast. Have too much now which is why we're paying off the mortgage.
a lot of folks would love to have the "too much cash" problem! in that case though, yeah, the HELOC would have been an ideal solution.

we've been banking with Central Jersey Federal Credit Union for years (checking & savings etc)...they are super local and they seem to offer a HELOC

we were able to join way back when my wife taught for Woodbridge Twp schools. not sure if they still have a membership requirement like that, but worth checking out

Johnny Utah

You could do so for the business if you do not currently have one, of course that is assuming you own a business by your handle. Be prepared to hand over more information than you can imagine. Generally the rule of thumb for small business on convention lines are a max of 20% of top end revenue. If you are in an inflated industry during COVID those numbers will most likely be smaller unless you have some solid justification.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
You could do so for the business if you do not currently have one, of course that is assuming you own a business by your handle. Be prepared to hand over more information than you can imagine. Generally the rule of thumb for small business on convention lines are a max of 20% of top end revenue. If you are in an inflated industry during COVID those numbers will most likely be smaller unless you have some solid justification.
Not trying to make this more complicated than it needs to be. I figured since our house is 90% paid off, getting a line of credit against it "should" be easy. Current mortgage is with Penfed. Will try to work it out with them.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
if you have any after tax securities, you may be able to use them for as securities backed line of credit.
They will take the management of the underlying securities away from you to make sure it remains
backed by them.

we were planning a HELOC in the future, and cancelling the securities back one - this messes things up.

Johnny Utah

if you have any after tax securities, you may be able to use them for as securities backed line of credit.
They will take the management of the underlying securities away from you to make sure it remains
backed by them.

we were planning a HELOC in the future, and cancelling the securities back one - this messes things up.
This works best through your broker. If you farm this out to a third party the reporting becomes a nightmare and it gets expensive. LTV usually maxes at 50% of eligible securities.

Over $500k line backed by securities from third parties starts to become competitive on pricing.

In my experience HELOCs are the cheapest and easiest. Keep the global LTV down and I think OP will not have a problem finding a lender. @Bike N Gear if you do, feel free to reach out. Let me know if you need tips on winter shoes too.

rustynuts

I did this about two years ago, locked in for an extended period of time. Haven't used it or found a need to use it, (don't love the fact that God Forbid something happens to me, the bank tech owns your own home), but even if I borrowed money against it, I'd make sure I could easily pay it back or saved an equal amount.

Foster57

I've had good experiences using Univest Bank in PA for HELOCs on NJ investment properties. I'd assume the experience for a HELOC for a personal residence would be the same.

Nothing against Wells Fargo except fuck Wells Fargo.

Top Bottom