Ice cream?

kaitlyn

So, a neighbor rider mentioned a trail called Ice Cream, but I forgot to ask where it was, so I'm asking you'all now.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Rumor has it, there used to be a race up there which used that trail -
ice cream is the reward for getting to it....

ryderX

Rumor has it, there used to be a race up there which used that trail -
ice cream is the reward for getting to it....
The story behind the name goes back close to 20 years. The original trail went straight up a washed out gully that predated the rideable bypass and at the time we just referred to as the gully trail. I use to ride with a guy who was about 12 or 13 years older than me and he was just an animal on the bike. Steve Oksenik aka Jumbo. Jumbo could ride anything and if he didn’t clean something on the first attempt he just try again and again until he made its. Long story short I bet him an ice cream sundae that he couldn’t make it up the gully trail on his first attempt. Lo and behold Jumbo not only cleaned the climb and never looked back or even stopped until we caught up with him as he was climbing up the old Cardiac ascent near the Boy Scout camp. Ever since that day we called it Ice Cream Hill Fast forward many years when it came time to present a map of the trails to the local park official for their records the name was recorded as the official trail name.
The Cardiac Hill climb has a somewhat similar name origin.
Jumbo was also the first rider to clean that monster. We were doing a mixed group ride and when he cleared that climb he stopped on the bald rock on top and blurted out “ damn I think I’m having an angina attack”. I think it was Sarah Frost who was with us, she was totally appalled thinking he said “vagina attack”. Jumbo being an old school type of guy was embarrassed beyond belief and insisted he said angina. Being the ever supportive ball breaking friends that we were we started breaking his balls that he was actually having a heart attack. From the day forward the trail became known as Cardiac.

Last edited:

ryderX

Looking back at some pictures I’m afraid to admit that it’s probably closer to 27 or 28 years ago. This picture is from the 1997 24 Hours of Allamuchy and Jumbo is the Mario looking character 2nd from the left.
631DCECE-946A-42B0-8AB9-EE0A4BC24150.jpeg

goldsbar

The TFs version of Ice Cream is longer than what I always thought it was. To me, it was the part that intersects with the white trail (and used to have an "Ice Cream" sign) up to the top of Allamuchy Mountain.

Feels like that part of Ice Cream was one of the first re-routes in the park from the standard fall line double track. The re-route started as single track, but unfortunately grew very blown out over the years.

ryderX

The TFs version of Ice Cream is longer than what I always thought it was. To me, it was the part that intersects with the white trail (and used to have an "Ice Cream" sign) up to the top of Allamuchy Mountain.

Feels like that part of Ice Cream was one of the first re-routes in the park from the standard fall line double track. The re-route started as single track, but unfortunately grew very blown out over the years.
The Workman’s and myself created the bypass for one of the 24HOA races.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions