IF...I were to buy a DJ bike, what size?

serviceguy

I found I deal on a Kona Shonky DJ frame but I'm not sure about the size, as it only comes in short and long...I would say long as I usually ride a large (I'm 5'11") but I have no clue about DJ bikes...granted, should not affect the performances hanging around with the El Mar crew in my garage, but still...I just realized I have all parts to build a DJ bike from scratch, minus the frame. so why not?

ebarker9

Definitely agreed. The newer frames do seem to run a bit bigger but it's still going to feel small and alien if you've been riding modern trail bike geometry.

The difference in geometry between the two sizes of that Kona isn't that great but I'd still suggest the large.

Now you're going to get me thinking about replacing my 2007 era Black Market...

serviceguy

Definitely agreed. The newer frames do seem to run a bit bigger but it's still going to feel small and alien if you've been riding modern trail bike geometry.

The difference in geometry between the two sizes of that Kona isn't that great but I'd still suggest the large.

Now you're going to get me thinking about replacing my 2007 era Black Market...
https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Shon...MIiK2xh4f9_gIVHiyzAB019wKoEAQYAyABEgLbq_D_BwE

I think you should give it a serious thought, look at the price...

serviceguy

That is pretty tempting. If anything carried over from the prior bike I'd definitely pull the trigger, but the wheels/fork wouldn't. Guess I could price out what it would cost to build vs other full bike options.
What do you need? Maybe I can enjoy it 'vicariously'...definitely cheaper!

ebarker9

What do you need? Maybe I can enjoy it 'vicariously'...definitely cheaper!

Would be a set of 26" wheels with 142x12 rear hub either set up for or easily changed to singlespeed (I don't know that much about SS hub standards), 100mm travel/26" fork preferably 15mm or 20mm TA. Haven't really thought about it yet. You should build one up though! I already have a perfectly functional DJ bike.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Hate to burst your "new bike day" bubble but i don't think DJ bike design/geometry has really changed in 20 years. For the price of that Shonky frame on Jenson, you could likely find a complete bike from the early 2000s if you look hard enough. You did say you had the parts though. And don't replace that Black Market, sick bike! Still riding an '09 STP myself.

ebarker9

It's a little bit hard to get good geo information on the black market (suppose I could just measure it...), but it looks like the Kona and the Pivot DJ bike at Marty's have a 2-3" longer top tube, which is pretty noticeable after cruising around on the Pivot for a few minutes. I'm not necessarily sold that it's "better" or better enough to warrant a new bike, but fun to consider.

I do want to update the fork on the black market. Not a fan of having a QR front axle when riding some of the faster berms in Vernon or at Ray's. Also need to find something to cover up the black market stickers on it. Feels completely ridiculous riding around as a guy in his 40s with a bike decorated with brass knuckles, police in riot gear and guns.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That 142 rear axle for a dj frame is odd . Almost all dj frames are 135 bolt on . Check Dan's comp I'm pretty sure they had some dj frames on sale with more traditional specs , or pinkbike .

serviceguy

That 142 rear axle for a dj frame is odd . Almost all dj frames are 135 bolt on . Check I'm pretty sure they had some dj frames on sale with more traditional specs , or pinkbike .
This should work, maybe? Why odd anyway, I would think it's more practical if anything.

https://konaparts.com/product/hangers-dropouts-dropout-cc/

What crashes with my OCD is the 142 rear axle VS the front boost fork...maybe I should just get a short seat post for one of my El Mar instead! Are thee any 29" DJ bikes out there?

mtbiker87

142 rear end on a DJ is totally weird. That said, I have a 26er rear that would work if you take the plunge. El Mar ? ....no.....just no. Way worse than worrying about boost fork and 142 rear. Hub spacing diff don't matter. Tell your OCD to shut up and leave you be !

mtbiker87

It's a little bit hard to get good geo information on the black market (suppose I could just measure it...), but it looks like the Kona and the Pivot DJ bike at Marty's have a 2-3" longer top tube, which is pretty noticeable after cruising around on the Pivot for a few minutes. I'm not necessarily sold that it's "better" or better enough to warrant a new bike, but fun to consider.

I do want to update the fork on the black market. Not a fan of having a QR front axle when riding some of the faster berms in Vernon or at Ray's. Also need to find something to cover up the black market stickers on it. Feels completely ridiculous riding around as a guy in his 40s with a bike decorated with brass knuckles, police in riot gear and guns.
I'm a 50+ year old riding a Mutant, with a Shadow "scream" chain ring, and IDGAF. I probably look more ridiculous on my 20" bikes. DGAF about that either. Keep riding that OG BlackMrkt as is. Just as good if not better than anything you'll buy now. And way the hell cooler.

serviceguy

142 rear end on a DJ is totally weird. That said, I have a 26er rear that would work if you take the plunge. El Mar ? ....no.....just no. Way worse than worrying about boost fork and 142 rear. Hub spacing diff don't matter. Tell your OCD to shut up and leave you be !
Gutted that after using my SS El Mar as a trail bike, gravel and road bike I can't use it as a pump track bike...I think I may buy the frame and sell one of the El Mar (the blue one) as it has completely been replaced by the Kona Honzo ST. Also, it's almost the same color as the Shonky frame so it 'may' go undetected...

Top Bottom