Lipstick on a pig deck staining?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I’m broke and my deck is old. The finish is pretty much worn away and I want to… paint? Stain? Try to make it less ugly. What is my best option here?

599f1c8d0a3be.image.jpg

Last edited:
I have been lipsticking on my pig of a deck for 20 years.

I wash the deck a little with the garden hose and some diluted bleach and a scrub brush. Then after it dries out a few days I roll on 2 coats of solid stain and I don’t really care if it’s not perfect just enough to last from May - Aug/September when I close the pool.

Somewhere in the DIY thread is probably some pics.

Really, is Cabots the go to here?

I have a home deck, and now a second marine dock to add to my maintenance list. I went with a recommendation (won't name the shop) last year and it's already dry as a bone.

There is not a surface product that is gonna give you 100% for 5yrs. The surface like a deck takes a ton of weather abuse unlike a fence. If your gonna want more then 2 yrs add a sealant on top of your stain. Dont buy the BS that the sealant is in the stain. Anything you put on wood is better then nothing. Also i will add paint doesnt adhere to treated well especially if you dont remove mold before. Marine docking needs annual, hell i had a good friend who dosed his dock twice a season.

i use the Behr product called "Deck Over". Its sort of like rhino lining for your deck. My deck is pretty old, from the 90's probably and it looked really good when i did it about 8 years ago. since then i touch it up every spring.

Back
Top Bottom