Losing a summer and tossing out a fall.

thegock

Wait, Meat Loaf died?

Melon told me that he died from C19.
SOCI ALDI IMG_20200216_092855-01.jpg

serviceguy

Just the ones that don't understand we have a giant blind spot and they have to ski there, then claim we cut them off.
1st, if snowboarding over 50 doesn't scream acute midlife crisis I don't know what does. You should stick to XC skiing, didn't you get the memo?

2nd, since when you're own impairment is an excuse to put other people in danger? Same goes for other skiers that ski where they don't belong.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
1st, if snowboarding over 50 doesn't scream acute midlife crisis I don't know what does. You should stick to XC skiing, didn't you get the memo?

2nd, since when you're own impairment is an excuse to put other people in danger? Same goes for other skiers that ski where they don't belong.

I started when I was 30, it is easier on the knees. I ride like i ride - all mountain/XC. 🤟 And slowly! 🤟🤟

Group training runs at a conversational pace are fun. Learning to breath and muscle recruitment.
People telling funny race stories - can't really do that on a group ride. Time goes by quickly to.
i did a 20 miler on the D&R and had to keep slowing down cause the goal was to be able to talk,
so you can run for hours. I think this is similar to Spencer's Z2 training. Go for hours at that speed,
and feel great on race day (for most of it) - doesn't mean speed work and interval training isn't important,
but i think "our" goal is to be able to run the whole race and make the goal time.

For me the 1 hour mtb race does foster the race within the race, for those who aren't making the pointy end (ie me.)

This doesn't happen in a 1/2 or full marathon - you might recognize a few people, but the race is in your head.
Keep your pace, keep form, make your time, adjust as needed.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Patrick

I tend not to run with others for a few reasons.
1) I tend to find the running groups clicky.
2) The pacing tends to not be ideal on the weekday runs from in-town at least when I was running a lot last year. The weekend running groups are better as there's a ton of paces and lengths but in reality if I'm getting out of bed on a Saturday to go do something with people it's going to be a bike ride. I find it way easier to hop in with a bunch of mtb people I don't know and ride with them as opposed to runners.
3) Those long runs as I mentioned a pretty zen like. Since I got injured and hurt myself I've been really behind on going through my podcasts...

As far as racing goes it's dependent on the race type. I liked cyclocross because I'm dying the whole time and spending the entire time trying to pass the person in front of me. Very competitive. Running races is totally different as it's typically a race in my head of staying on the edge to not blow up.

Funny thing is I never really paid much attention to my race results in the trail races I've been doing. I'd finish and it's a ghost town at the finish line because I figured everyone had already left. Joy asked me how I did at once of the last races I did and so I looked it up for her and realized that I started off as the last person in the entire race and finished at the front. Looking back at the races I realized the reason there was hardly anyone at the finish wasn't because I was at the end, I was at the front...

rick81721

Lothar
I've had Meatloaf stuck in my head all night after the news.

Look up the interview with Todd Rundgren last year where he explained why he produced the album. He hated Bruce Springsteen so much he produced Bat Out of Hell as a parody album that flew under the radar. Even using the E-Street band as the band on the album.

Everyone passed on producing it but he went with tossing money at it because he disliked Bruce Springsteen.

I never liked Meatloaf's music but I like him even more now that he also hates the most over-rated ever "musician" Springsteen.

Patrick

Staff member
Checked your marathon - you really had that pace dialed up until the foot injury.
Really well executed plan.

did you train in a couple different pairs of sneakers?
What shoes are you using for trails?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Checked your marathon - you really had that pace dialed up until the foot injury.
Really well executed plan.

did you train in a couple different pairs of sneakers?
What shoes are you using for trails?
I wanted to break 4:00, and aiming for 3:50 or 3:55. I was completely just being conservative as I've never ran that distance before and haven't done even done a half-marathon race in years. No reason to aim for some really low time as I have nothing to prove nor did I train for it. I'm not joking when I said I was comfortable the entire race up until my foot hurt. Only work I felt I was doing was keeping myself from going faster. If I didn't stop for the bathroom break and tying my shoes twice maybe I would have made it under 4:00... :)

I swap between two shoes on the road. Minimalist pair of Merrell Road Gloves and lower stack height Altra Escalantes. Because I had leg/hip issues I actually did my shakeout run in my Merrels and decided to run in those. Even though the Altras are "low" stack height they just feel gooey and I was concerned about instability running 26 miles in them with prior injuries. Possibly the wrong decision as that could have been what injured me...

For awhile I've done all my races I think in an old pair of Asics Fuji something or others that aren't made anymore. They're at their end of life but they're crazy comfortable, toe box is large, low stack height and the traction is great. I have been trying out Altra Superiors as they are the lowest stack height trail running shoes they make and the grip is absolutely unsafe. I do hike in the Altras (if it's not slick out) however primarily and they're great with gaitors & spikes. Trying Saucony Peregrines now as they're low stack height and have amazing grip but haven't had enough time on them.

Patrick

Staff member
I wanted to break 4:00, and aiming for 3:50 or 3:55. I was completely just being conservative as I've never ran that distance before and haven't done even done a half-marathon race in years. No reason to aim for some really low time as I have nothing to prove nor did I train for it. I'm not joking when I said I was comfortable the entire race up until my foot hurt. Only work I felt I was doing was keeping myself from going faster. If I didn't stop for the bathroom break and tying my shoes twice maybe I would have made it under 4:00... :)

I swap between two shoes on the road. Minimalist pair of Merrell Road Gloves and lower stack height Altra Escalantes. Because I had leg/hip issues I actually did my shakeout run in my Merrels and decided to run in those. Even though the Altras are "low" stack height they just feel gooey and I was concerned about instability running 26 miles in them with prior injuries. Possibly the wrong decision as that could have been what injured me...

For awhile I've done all my races I think in an old pair of Asics Fuji something or others that aren't made anymore. They're at their end of life but they're crazy comfortable, toe box is large, low stack height and the traction is great. I have been trying out Altra Superiors as they are the lowest stack height trail running shoes they make and the grip is absolutely unsafe. I do hike in the Altras (if it's not slick out) however primarily and they're great with gaitors & spikes. Trying Saucony Peregrines now as they're low stack height and have amazing grip but haven't had enough time on them.

Ugh - I meant dialed-in.

when i did a 1/2 in VFFs, i decided that something with some cushion would be a better idea.
still love my trail minimus shoes - just not at the Sourlands.

I told people i wanted just to break 4:00, before I got injured it was going to be sub 3:50.
Really wanted the avg pace to be 8:xx rather than 9:xx. oh, well. next one (haha?)

thegock

TLDR

Executive Summary:

Running is stupid unless it's from the 👮👮‍♀️👮‍♂️🚔

Aight, @Carson ?
PXL_20210606_133110148.MP-01.jpeg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Oh, I should mention I broke 3 bones in my hand 2 years ago. Only to keep up with the original start to this whole blog of breaking bones.

I won't argue about the biking vs hiking thing. It's why the majority of the hikes I do are shorter local hikes as typically I'd rather go biking. But I'd much rather go hiking than biking in bad trail conditions. Tomorrow it's going to be 7 degrees in the morning for instance, I won't find biking too pleasurable so I'm going for the alternative.

Running from home is convenient for me. I just toss on clothes and am running from my door. Since I no longer road bike ride from home it's way easier than driving to trails.

I used to go riding with the Freewheelers and a ton of them are older retired people. They'd kick my ass on the bike but off the bike walking to their car they looked like Golum from Lord of the Rings. Or at least I think it's Golum, I couldn't make it through that movie. I don't want to end up like that.
Curious, why don’t you road bike from home anymore?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ugh - I meant dialed-in.

when i did a 1/2 in VFFs, i decided that something with some cushion would be a better idea.
still love my trail minimus shoes - just not at the Sourlands.

I told people i wanted just to break 4:00, before I got injured it was going to be sub 3:50.
Really wanted the avg pace to be 8:xx rather than 9:xx. oh, well. next one (haha?)
I read it as dialed in. :)

Trail gloves are probably similar to VFFs as far as cushion. I never really had issues running in them but I built up over time and my daily shoes for years were Trail Gloves and currently Lem's minimalist shoes.

What I'm looking for in trail shoes (a middle ground, not too minimalist) is rather hard but I think the Peregrines are it hopefully. I don't need 0 drop and want some protection and a wide toe box. And the ability to try them on in a store...

You can start training now and run with me in November. :)

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The Altra soles are just such junk. I got 75 miles in my Lone Peaks before they starting delaminating from the toe box. The shoes they use Vibram soles are miles ahead of them. I love my Olympus 3's...opposite of a low profile shoe. Very comfy to run in though since it soaks up so much of the noise.
I like the noise. :(

I'll see how the Saucony shoes work out. Not putting in miles in then right now with injured foot and this weather.

The saving grace is the Altra tread issues lately are a non-issue wearing spikes.

I also really like the Altra gaitor setup and may glue Velcro onto other shoes.

rosceaux

I run in the Escalante Racers when doing road work. The stack height is a little less than the standard Escalantes, and they seem to hold up really well. That being said, anything less than 10 miles on trails are in Merrill Trail Gloves.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I run in the Escalante Racers when doing road work. The stack height is a little less than the standard Escalantes, and they seem to hold up really well. That being said, anything less than 10 miles on trails are in Merrill Trail Gloves.
My problem with trail gloves is they have no real tread. And they changed all their shoes it seems and they hurt my arch.

I want to try the Escalante racers, I mentioned I run in the regular Escalante and find them too cushy. Nobody has the racers in a store too try on.

I rarely find trail chatter (noise) hurts my feet. Only time my feet hurt is small gravel on the road with the Road Gloves when I land on it just right.

Been in minimalist shoes for years and I remember my first pair of trail gloves incredibly painful just walking off road at first.

Mahnken

My problem with trail gloves is they have no real tread. And they changed all their shoes it seems and they hurt my arch.

I want to try the Escalante racers, I mentioned I run in the regular Escalante and find them too cushy. Nobody has the racers in a store too try on.

I rarely find trail chatter (noise) hurts my feet. Only time my feet hurt is small gravel on the road with the Road Gloves when I land on it just right.

Been in minimalist shoes for years and I remember my first pair of trail gloves incredibly painful just walking off road at first.
I love these things for trail running and hiking (well, the regular primus trail that they don't seem to have right now):
https://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/primus-trail-knit-fg-mens
They are much wider than what I remember of the trail gloves (haven't tried them in years).
They used to have a store in Manhattan, but it doesn't look like they do anymore, I think it was the only store in the US. They also have sales a few times a year, I've never paid full price for them. And a 100 day return policy if you get them and don't like them.
I have a pair of escalante racers in a size 11 with maybe 100 miles on them. Don't think I've worn them since the Philly marathon in 2019. If it's your size, you're welcome to try them out.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I love these things for trail running and hiking (well, the regular primus trail that they don't seem to have right now):
https://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/primus-trail-knit-fg-mens
They are much wider than what I remember of the trail gloves (haven't tried them in years).
They used to have a store in Manhattan, but it doesn't look like they do anymore, I think it was the only store in the US. They also have sales a few times a year, I've never paid full price for them. And a 100 day return policy if you get them and don't like them.
I have a pair of escalante racers in a size 11 with maybe 100 miles on them. Don't think I've worn them since the Philly marathon in 2019. If it's your size, you're welcome to try them out.
Yeah I've looked at those and it's the same thing, I like trying on shoes. Really I'd have to buy 3 pairs and return 2 which I guess is normal.

I'll take you up on the Escalante Racers! My Escalante's are 11.5 and are pretty loose and I had a hard time deciding between 11 and 11.5.

Top Bottom