Mahlon Dickerson Reservation Conditions

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Has anyone been on the north side of Mahlon lately? Lookin to get out this wkd and put together a whole park loop.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Has anyone been on the north side of Mahlon lately? Lookin to get out this wkd and put together a whole park loop.

After the rain w/warm temps earlier in the week, which seemed to take care of the remaining snow & ice here in the 'hood, I'm going to speculate it is going to be firm and fast when the temps drop this weekend. 'Haven't been on the North side lately, though...

Maybe Brad can look out his rear window and tell us...

SpartaBard

As Tim said, 1-2 inches of snow. I saw some bear tracks too, so someone woke up looking for a bite to eat.

kidzach

:getsome:Great conditions today before the Bowl.1 to 1-1/2 of dry crust of previous week's snow.All is very ridable.Not many tracks, 2 or 3 were visable.That's a shame............get out there riders!:getsome:

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
rode MD yesterday (5/16) and rode pretty much everything there is to ride there (had a great day too - legs felt awesome for some reason). conditions are great, of course its going to rain tonight, but whatever.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Did I see you? Were you on the Cannondale? Or maybe the GF?

i think i saw the guy on the GF you are talking about pulling in when i was leaving.

i didn't see anyone else other than the two guys i was riding with the whole time. we were wheels down at a 6 am and pretty much had the place to ourselves until we got back to the lot.

but if you see a guy on a black brodie hardtail with flat pedals, say hi - that's me.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
i think i saw the guy on the GF you are talking about pulling in when i was leaving.

i didn't see anyone else other than the two guys i was riding with the whole time. we were wheels down at a 6 am and pretty much had the place to ourselves until we got back to the lot.

but if you see a guy on a black brodie hardtail with flat pedals, say hi - that's me.

'will do...I'll be the fat boy on the orange Niner :)

Shaggz

A strong 7
Was there this afternoon. Trails were in decent shape, but the rocks were pretty darn slippery. Be careful of the red newts and use bug repellant. Met JPN, and had a standoff with a young buck at the lower entrance to Stone Gate.

jpn

nice chat with Shaggz near bottom of wall; nice to meet you too. love stonegate; wall and cascade at MD. maybe next time I'll meet another MTBNJ celebrity (like Fogerson?). Ditto on the bugs and slippery rocks, but I had a nice ride. Cleaned some sections through the wall that I hadn't before. I asked Shaggz where the rocky sections of MD were...little bit of MD humor. I did a little wheel comparison...to me my wheels looked 3 inches higher than his, but what do I know!

Shaggz

A strong 7
I asked Shaggz where the rocky sections of MD were...little bit of MD humor. I did a little wheel comparison...to me my wheels looked 3 inches higher than his, but what do I know!
I found some more. Decided to reverse the climb out Stone Gate, and hit Beaver Brook. That is a trail I have no busniess being on, especially alone and tired. Busted my @ss twice, but still cleared some stuff I never did before.

Love the rigid SS Karate Monkey setup. Another MDR legend used to own that place on a similar setup. Last time I checked it was only 1.5 inches higher...:hmmm: :D

jpn

I found some more. Decided to reverse the climb out Stone Gate, and hit Beaver Brook. That is a trail I have no busniess being on, especially alone and tired. Busted my @ss twice, but still cleared some stuff I never did before.

Love the rigid SS Karate Monkey setup. Another MDR legend used to own that place on a similar setup. Last time I checked it was only 1.5 inches higher...:hmmm: :D
29 minus 26 equals... forget it. clearly math and other facts confuse me. Maybe some day I will deserve to be mentioned in the same string of posts as the Alaskan wood carver, but apart from bike set up there is no comparison! It is funny; if I don't get over to MD for 2-3 weeks, it calls me there and I just have to go. And I am never disappointed. Other funny thing about MD; by and large, I meet more people there who stop and talk for a few minutes there than anywhere else. So there it is: MD is full of rocks, legends, and friendly riders... and occasionally someone who is easily confused.

kidzach

I'm with you JPN. 29-26= 3.I believe what others are trying to say is only 1-1/2 more clearance on a terrible 29er fad bike than a standard 26.I could also be wrong- lol:popcorn:

HumanVise

I keep meaning to hit Beaver Brook, what am I missing back there? All accounts make it sound like a blast!

Shaggz

A strong 7
sounds like that would be a blast.
Do you mean a brook full of beavers? :hmmm:

Yes, HV, it is a blast. I tend to stay clear of anything that Sean lists as one of his favorite trails. Looks like I will play around "Anrothar's Alley" once I get a few more runs on BB :eek:. The funnerer way is to go from the entrance near the kiosk, as oppsoed to the entrance near the stream.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions