MCPS Volunteer Signup / Let's make something happen

TimBay

But in all seriousness, we know MCPS controls all things Hartshorne, so my thinking is if enough of us join the volunteer system, we could lead our own TM sessions and determine what to work on that benefits us (and everyone, but mostly for MTB, lol).

Here's the link: https://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/page.aspx?Id=2614

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Post in here with any questions or, more importantly, to let me know that you've signed up or if you're already a volunteer. It's not very hard to do and can help improve and maintain the local trails.

TimBay

I’d be happy to join a proper TM session at Hartshorne. I’ve never done it there before cuz I don’t want to build waterbars.
Are you a registered MCPS volunteer? If not, see the above link. This is a requirement to do trail maintenance. What I'm trying to accomplish is a group of people that can work very slightly outside of the overall park system schedule. Let them set their overall goals and we can work to make sessions beyond those goals. Or something like that.

I'd like to get a number of volunteers to present to the MCPS and work out with them how we can get things done. They have to provide their limited resources to all parks, but maybe theres something we can do outside of the general public's volunteer schedule. I need backing in numbers though. So tell your friends to all register.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Recommend starting with work sessions to meet their goals - as proof of concept.
Then their goals get expanded, because they have the group to meet those.
This would prevent anything "unauthorized" and expansion would become "reasonable" - cause nothing worse than
someone putting something down on a plan, and not being able to accomplish it.
Then they get "official credit" cause that is what they are paid for, and the park gets more care.

Thanks for taking this on. Good luck!

TimBay

Recommend starting with work sessions to meet their goals - as proof of concept.
Then their goals get expanded, because they have the group to meet those.
This would prevent anything "unauthorized" and expansion would become "reasonable" - cause nothing worse than
someone putting something down on a plan, and not being able to accomplish it.
Then they get "official credit" cause that is what they are paid for, and the park gets more care.

Thanks for taking this on. Good luck!
Yes, this isnt a bad start for sure. And in no way am I suggesting any unaithorized work. I want to work with the parks system, but also see what options are available to cut ot the red tape nonsense. This is why i thing using the forum to determine a date for TM that people will agree to is easier than letting the park decide what date they want and hoping it works for us. And having to fight them on how to use their resources when we can be an added resource. We'll see what happens. Worst case, we have more potential volunteers for TM on their schedule and the numbers can just add sessions. Best case, we create a team that operates with the park, but has a little more control on these separate TM sessions.

SmooveP

I'm registered, have been to the training course and occasionally show up for TM. Tracy Shiffman is the Trails Team coordinator at the park. She's very nice and is receptive to input from the public. I suggest contacting her to find out when the next training sessions and TM dates are. Here's her contact info:

Tracy Shiffman
Coordinator of Volunteers
Monmouth County Park System
805 Newman Springs Road
Lincroft, NJ 07738
732-842-4000, ext. 4283
Tracy.Shiffman@co.monmouth.nj.us

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Moving over to this thread, rather than clogging up the Conditions thread with this discussion.

I intend to sign up and take the required course when it's offered again, so you can add my name to the list.

Chris Gozick

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@TimBay Obviously based on our previous discussions am already trained for MCPS, and would help out with TM sessions at Hartshorne and Huber Woods if we can make some change and have an impact. I think you are doing a good thing by trying to rally support for these parks, because we know they need it. I can assist you with certain things, but currently do not have the bandwidth to be in the vanguard with moving the chains on this...be the change. If you get things going I will show up as often as I can and even do some walkthroughs etc as needed. LMK.

Brian

wonderturtle

I took their course. Therefore I now know how to use a pair of hedge clippers (turns out you’re not supposed to hold the sharp ends... the more you know)

If such a session comes to be I will be there. I will also be happy to do some recon

I wish you luck

Last edited:

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
It's good to see some folks are interested in working on the trails there, but I don't envy you the work you've got ahead of you to fix this place. You've got much bigger problems than trimming some overgrowth out there. Not having ridden the area in a couple of years now, I did a ride that hit Allaire, Hartshorne and Huber this weekend and was pretty shocked at just how much the trails (in Hartshorne, particularly) have deteriorated. I don't know if it's fair to blame anyone for it - everyone is dealing with similar erosion problems all over the region. But as a visitor who only sees this area in time lapse once in a while, the conditions here did seem especially bad, and that's probably a terrain thing. TBH, it almost seems like there are many (possibly most?) sections where you'd be better off just cutting your losses and re-routing, which is a much larger (more expensive) project. The ravines running down the middle of so many of the descents were sad to see, and climbing up the first part of the GT trail was eye-opening. The steps are easily twice as high as they used to be and, worse, the sections between them are just all deep soft sand now. You can't save sections like that - that sand is just going to keep washing downhill when it rains no matter how you build it up. I wish you the best of luck with it, but you may be looking at a pretty massive project to make that place sustainable.

don

It's good to see some folks are interested in working on the trails there, but I don't envy you the work you've got ahead of you to fix this place. You've got much bigger problems than trimming some overgrowth out there. Not having ridden the area in a couple of years now, I did a ride that hit Allaire, Hartshorne and Huber this weekend and was pretty shocked at just how much the trails (in Hartshorne, particularly) have deteriorated. I don't know if it's fair to blame anyone for it - everyone is dealing with similar erosion problems all over the region. But as a visitor who only sees this area in time lapse once in a while, the conditions here did seem especially bad, and that's probably a terrain thing. TBH, it almost seems like there are many (possibly most?) sections where you'd be better off just cutting your losses and re-routing, which is a much larger (more expensive) project. The ravines running down the middle of so many of the descents were sad to see, and climbing up the first part of the GT trail was eye-opening. The steps are easily twice as high as they used to be and, worse, the sections between them are just all deep soft sand now. You can't save sections like that - that sand is just going to keep washing downhill when it rains no matter how you build it up. I wish you the best of luck with it, but you may be looking at a pretty massive project to make that place sustainable.

Yes and no on Hartshorne being a massive project to get into a more sustainable (and enjoyable and safe) place. The same things that make it a disaster (elevation and loose soil) are the same things that make it easy to build good trail (elevation is great in getting the rain off the tread; loose soil is easy to dig). I find the shallow angle stuff is usually fine at Huber/Hartshorne. The problem areas are where the trails are steeper. I've always thought that shit-canning the fall line routes to something more bench cut would be safer and far more enjoyable to ride.

TimBay

Why won't they let JORBA maintain the place?
From what I've heard, there was somewhat of a difference of opinion and they booted jorba out. My long-term hopes are that we can gain some traction with MCPS through our own TM sessions and eventually try to get Jorba involved. I think it's important to move slow and tread lightly and build up momentum. I'm currently awaiting a response from MCPS to my email.

Reminder to all: spread the word and get your froends registered. More people equals more power.

ADKmike

Gotcha - I'd be interested in being part of a team that does TM here regularly, as this is my local riding spot. Would prefer it not be led/dates dictated by MCPS, and be more of a MTBNJ or JORBA run thing of course.

The erosion and general trail maintenance is so bad, as mentioned.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions