mountain biking near Scranton PA

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Merli's pretty rocky too

I can't compare it to Moosic as I've never ridden Moosic, but Merli has a fair amount of rocky stuff. Especially "My Brother's Trail" , "Squeeze Play" and "Fox Rocks"....Tons of fun.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
You are right about me not liking rocky tech stuff. But I figured "when in Rome".

Thx for the input. based on what you posted...I'll start with Lackawanna and see if that gives me a good enuff taste of pocono mtbing.

if lackawanna isn't quite "enough out of my comfort zone" I'll try Merli.... seems less rocky than moosic and from vids on youtube seems really pretty.

On another note ... Saw my first bear while mtbing today.

+1 on Lackawanna. Dawn and I were camping there this past weekend and I loved it. As Matt said, it is probably on par with Stephens in difficulty.

They have added a lot of new trails since I was there last 3 years ago. I am definitely heading back there soon.

Joe

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Where is that?

Back at the preserve that boarders the state park. If you thought it was small makes me think you missed a bunch. You can weave throughout in areas without crossing over all ready ridden stuff. If you didnt cross roads at least 5 times then you missed sections. I have gotten about 25 miles in there.

wonderturtle

Back at the preserve that boarders the state park. If you thought it was small makes me think you missed a bunch. You can weave throughout in areas without crossing over all ready ridden stuff. If you didnt cross roads at least 5 times then you missed sections. I have gotten about 25 miles in there.

I was back near Ziegler preserve area. Didn't go in though.

Went around half the lake. Did parts of Abington, ranger, turkey hill,lakeside trail, tree line, orchard, one or two others. Got about 11 miles in.

Not saying you can't get many miles in. The trail network is like spaghetti so I have no doubt you can 25 miles in without repeating trails. But overall it's not a big park.

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was back at the preserve area I think. Went around the lake. Did ranger, parts of Abington, lakeside trail, orchard, one or two others. Got about 11 miles in.

Not saying you can't get many miles in. The trail network is like spaghetti so I have no doubt you can 25 miles in without repeating trails. But overall it's not a big park.

no question not a big park, but i have been half dozen times and keep stretching it out...

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
no question not a big park, but i have been half dozen times and keep stretching it out...

Agreed Matt -- Dawn and I were just there last weekend and I was amazed at how many new trails they put into the place. I found an old map from 3 years ago, and I would say the multi-use trail system was only 50% of what is available now. The newer Northwoods trail was awesome and it was easy to start there from the campground.

wonderturtle

. The newer Northwoods trail was awesome.

Gonna check that out tmrw. Goal is to do 20+ going fully around the lake. Mechanical (brake) issues limited my miles the other day. Brakes fixed and I now have a feel for the park so want to get a "real" ride in.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Gonna check that out tmrw. Goal is to do 20+ going fully around the lake. Mechanical (brake) issues limited my miles the other day. Brakes fixed and I now have a feel for the park so want to get a "real" ride in.

Make sure you let the trail dry out first -- lots of roots there! I rode it dry and it was a blast (more fun in the downhill direction, of course :) ).

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
So if any of you are curious about how Merli-Sarnoski got its name, look no further than this memorial plaque I can across in Scranton today. These two veterans were some bad-ass war heroes.
7BA0A2AF-A539-434F-BD35-2661941791BB.jpeg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So my understanding is tobyhanna is nothing more then gravel paths? Bummer as I just started a job at the tobyhanna army depot with the state park just around the corner. If I'm wrong tell me, please. Otherwise I'm just gonna hit Glenn Park daily 😆

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
So my understanding is tobyhanna is nothing more then gravel paths? Bummer as I just started a job at the tobyhanna army depot with the state park just around the corner. If I'm wrong tell me, please. Otherwise I'm just gonna hit Glenn Park daily 😆
Also on your way home, there used to be mtb trails at Big Pocono State Park and Camelback - not sure of current status. And a pumptrack if that's your thing: https://www.discovernepa.com/thing-to-do/rivers-edge-family-bike-park/

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Yeah I Can also hit west end. This thread is old so I thought maybe some new stuff might of popped up
Yea Tobyhanna is basically a 5 mile gravel loop trail around the lake. I’ve tried a few of the spur trails and they weren’t that great. West End Regional is fun. Not overly technical but lots of swoopy stuff. Definitely worth it if you’re in the area. The best riding is further north…LSP, Eales (Moosic), Church Road, MountainTop and Merli. You could also try the gamelands at Camelback. It’s a mix of very tight singletrack and open fire road. Around the Back (the blue loop in the north of this picture) is pretty sweet but sometimes hard to follow. Most parts of big Pocono are fun too (especially the twisty bits). @teabagger11 likely has some other suggestions.
IMG_8842.png

teabagger11

You got mt top covered there's moon lake farther south most other places have been covered
Lots of gravel around there anything else I can think of is farther west or south

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This ride was posted today by a fellow rider lots of gravel
View attachment 214152
Useful for someone who garvels, I don't do gravel so I will steer clear. I am interested in mnt top though if anyone has a route. I've ask Brodeen about camelback and it sounds like nothing has changed in 30years since I last went. I've done the scranton big 3 plus prompton but I'm looking for on my way home. Hence Glenn Park as the best alternative that fits my riding type.

Moon lake is somewhere I haven't been and is on the radar.

This now has me thinking, maybe pull camper up and work stay locally, he'll even Lackawanna for that matter 🙂

Top Bottom