mountain biking near Scranton PA

Useful for someone who garvels, I don't do gravel so I will steer clear. I am interested in mnt top though if anyone has a route. I've ask Brodeen about camelback and it sounds like nothing has changed in 30years since I last went. I've done the scranton big 3 plus prompton but I'm looking for on my way home. Hence Glenn Park as the best alternative that fits my riding type.

Moon lake is somewhere I haven't been and is on the radar.

This now has me thinking, maybe pull camper up and work stay locally, he'll even Lackawanna for that matter 🙂
Best I can do if you want a mt top tour and I'm off that day(I have days off during the week) I can accommodate lmk

I advise against going to Prompton for the trails unless you want to end up in the lyme thread. There are a few trails where overgrowth is minimal but for any decent loops, it's horrible. I went yesterday to do the full lake loop and ended up skipping the whole west side due to being overgrown and hopped on the road instead. Rode like 1/4 mile south on the east side and said nope. Turned around and did a 7ish mile road ride that day. It is nice in the winter though and disc golf is nicely maintained.

I am interested in mnt top though if anyone has a route.
Couple for ya…

Short but a good sampling of the goods
https://strava.app.link/jT1bJpwV4zb
1684985060980.png

Bigger loop including Snappers
https://strava.app.link/zK2QqUbW4zb
1684985616651.png

@mattybfat I love Moon Lake - there is primitive camping there (no hook up) right off the trails.
This is good news, I am getting better at the boondocking after a few music fest. Just picked up ecoflow solar battery plus a parallel battery setup. Set me up with a route for moon lake.

I'm surprised there aren't a ton of great trails around Scranton. There is certainly a lot of elevation and woods around there. I bet there are trails but the townies probably keep it to themselves.

I'm surprised there aren't a ton of great trails around Scranton. There is certainly a lot of elevation and woods around there. I bet there are trails but the townies probably keep it to themselves.
Aside from LSP and Merli there are a few others in the hills around Scranton. Eales is fantastic. Moscow is ok but only worth a trip if you happen to be nearby and can’t get to the others. Hubbard I’ve not tried yet but looks very climby.
IMG_8849.png

This is good news, I am getting better at the boondocking after a few music fest. Just picked up ecoflow solar battery plus a parallel battery setup. Set me up with a route for moon lake.
You can't get lost at moon it is small but a lot of trailgo right go left you always end up back at the lake or parking areas
Can give you a tour there too

There is 1 or 2 places Hubbard being 1 of them nobody was riding there for a few years then a local legend opened the trails back up 2 yrs ago or so but not many people go because the juice ain't worth the squeeze

Merli's incredible. I had a college friend living in Carbondale for a bit and we'd always hit Merli when I came to visit. The climbs can be some work but the tech is soooooo good.

Attachments

• PXL_20211003_163051364.jpg
    PXL_20211003_163051364.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20211003_155312956.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211003_155312956.MP.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20211003_155338512.jpg
    PXL_20211003_155338512.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20211003_162729216.jpg
    PXL_20211003_162729216.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 59
Glad someone resurrected this thread, I’ll be trying to find some singletrack in that area over the weekend. LSP and Moon lake could potentially happen. I will likely check out Maple Tract Preserve or grav in Giff Pinchot as a fall back. Anyone here put in any miles at Promised Land?

Glad someone resurrected this thread, I’ll be trying to find some singletrack in that area over the weekend. LSP and Moon lake could potentially happen. I will likely check out Maple Tract Preserve or grav in Giff Pinchot as a fall back. Anyone here put in any miles at Promised Land?
Maple Tract is very tight singletrack in most places and frankly too overgrown to be worthwhile. I came out of there with a bunch of ticks to boot. Shame, since with a little trimming it could be fun. Promised land is excellent for fatbiking in the snow since they groom the trails for snowmobiles, but the trails are pretty wide so I assume they are more like fireroads in the summer.
IMG_4960.jpeg
IMG_4728.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom