mountain biking near Scranton PA

wonderturtle

over the summer we're going on vacation with the in-laws at Big Bass Lake in Gouldsboro, PA. looks to be about equidistant between Scranton and Stroudsburg, off of Rt 380.

the "A" shows our vacation spot...

bigbass_zpsc8fe4195.png

any good mountain bike places within reasonable driving distance?

rlb

Check out http://www.bikevmb.com/

I've heard of Moosic Mountain but I've never been there. This is close to Scranton, about 1/2 hour drive from Big Bass.

As far as I know there are no solid trail systems nearby, but I haven't searched it out super thoroughly. I've been going to Big Bass Lake for years, my grandparents own a house on the lake and they've been living there full time for the last 12 years or so. I never tried to MTB nearby, however. It's a nice place, enjoy!

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
MartyB has referenced Lackawanna State Park as a good trail system. I believe it's right outside of Scranton. Hopefully he can add some insight to this.

the schwartz

i'm not sure what constitutes a reasonable drive but if you can make a bigger trip out of it make sure to visit raystown lake and the allegrippis trail system

wonderturtle

i'm not sure what constitutes a reasonable drive but if you can make a bigger trip out of it make sure to visit raystown lake and the allegrippis trail system

with the wife, family, in-laws, etc. etc. so cant be leaving for all day mtb excursions.

more like: wake up at dawn, get 2-3 hours riding, back by 10am.

so, reasonable drive = 30 minutes. 45 max. ;)

tri2cycle

3 Rides

There are three trail systems that I know of in the area. I'll list them in the order that I liked them.

Merli Sarnoski (Fell Mountain)-Good mix of technical and fast.
Map:
http://sirbikesalot.com/showfiles.php?sid=9&ci=35&pk=22&tr=1&ft=7&grp=1

Moosic- Much more rock with slick rock toward the top of the mountain.
Map:
http://www.nature.org/ourinitiative...nsylvania/placesweprotect/moosic-mountain.xml

Lackawanna- Fast, less technical. Not as involved as other two.
Map:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/lackawanna/index.htm?tab=Maps#Maps

All are fun but Merli and Moosic are epic rides.

Garmin maps can be found as well. I have the rides I did, but there may be some better ones available.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
There are three trail systems that I know of in the area. I'll list them in the order that I liked them.

Merli Sarnoski (Fell Mountain)-Good mix of technical and fast.
Map:
http://sirbikesalot.com/showfiles.php?sid=9&ci=35&pk=22&tr=1&ft=7&grp=1

Moosic- Much more rock with slick rock toward the top of the mountain.
Map:
http://www.nature.org/ourinitiative...nsylvania/placesweprotect/moosic-mountain.xml

Lackawanna- Fast, less technical. Not as involved as other two.
Map:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/lackawanna/index.htm?tab=Maps#Maps

All are fun but Merli and Moosic are epic rides.

Garmin maps can be found as well. I have the rides I did, but there may be some better ones available.

Merli Sarnoski in particular looks like a ton of fun. I'll definitely be checking it out. Thanks!

onetracker

Cool. I have a vacation home in this area...my top rides are Prompton Dam, Moosic Mtn, Merli (also good due to the fact there is no hunting allowed in this park), Moon Lake (outside of Wilkes Barre), Lackawana SP, 1 hr from Stokes, 2.5 hrs from Rattling Creek (epic). Lot of awesome trails in this area!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Throw Prompton in the mix too, I liked Lack a lot and it ain't no 6m or allaire ease. I would compare it to Stephens. I got 20+ in there with some really fun stuff. Good mix but the most particular thing is every rock is flat, big or small they are all flattop. So a lot of armoring is done with these rocks...

The campground at Lack is #1 in my places to go, camp and ride. Big pool and above avg eats...

noreastn

I live up in the Poconos. Based on your location, I would go to Moosic. Moosic is less than 20 minutes from Gouldsboro. It is pretty well marked. The only confusing area is right at the parking lot, where several trails merge together. Once you are away from the parking area, the trails are easy to find. You aren't going to put up mileage here but it has a ton of fun features and rocks, rocks, rocks.

LSP is really fun too. Pretty well marked. It is a completely different ride compared to Moosic. Fast and flowy and you can get in some high mileage.

wonderturtle

I live up in the Poconos. Based on your location, I would go to Moosic. Moosic is less than 20 minutes from Gouldsboro. It is pretty well marked. The only confusing area is right at the parking lot, where several trails merge together. Once you are away from the parking area, the trails are easy to find. You aren't going to put up mileage here but it has a ton of fun features and rocks, rocks, rocks.

LSP is really fun too. Pretty well marked. It is a completely different ride compared to Moosic. Fast and flowy and you can get in some high mileage.

thanks. i watched some youtube videos of the different parks. I think LSP will be more my speed. looks like fun. I much prefer "fast and flowy" to "rocks, rocks rocks". maybe I'll try Moosic or Merli once (to experience the rocky Pocono things).

are there any other "fast and flowy" places like LSP.

if I can only get out for a quick ride are Tobyhanna State Park and Gouldsboro State Park a complete waste of time or can you get a decent ride in those parks?

noreastn

LSP is the best place for fast and flowy. Merli and Moosic are both rocky. If you ventured south towards the Lehigh Valley, you could ride Jacobsburg. There is minimal elevation gain/loss and a faster trail system. Jacobsburg State Park is just off the Belfast exit of route 33. I've never ridden the Gouldsboro or Tobyhanna State Park; there are no technical trails there

Beachbike

Haven't been but have read and seen some great Vid of Hubbars Mountain and The Hubbard Mountain Bike Club. It seems like a great group. A $5.00/10.00 donation gets you a group ride thru good PA trails, and all the post ride food and beer you can handle.

Surprised I havn'nt seen more abt it here. Dont know the area that well but I think its pretty close to Scranton.

onetracker

There is still riding up on Hubbard Mountain but the Hubbard Bike Club is no longer active as far as I know.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Merli rocks

I've ridden Merli. Great place for technical riding with punchy climbs. It's also a non-hunting park, so pretty good bet this time of year (though I know you're heading there in the summer). Park at the main lot. Trail starts from there. Ride it clockwise for best results, and be sure to hit the blue sections...these are by far the most fun, particularly those on the north and eastern parts of the park. Very tight, twisty and rocky.

See Tri2Cycle's link:
http://sirbikesalot.com/showfiles.ph...r=1&ft=7&grp=1

I hope to get to LSP soon, heard it was fun.

wonderturtle

We got here yesterday. Was raining most of today so I rode to gouldsboro state park and tobyhanna sate park. Gouldsboro - nothing but paved roads open to bikes. Tobyhanna- very tame gravel path that goes around lake. Bottom line - neither are good for MTb. But 30 miles on the road getting there and back so wasn't a complete waste :) Gonna do Lackawanna state park and Merlin sarnowski and/or moosic. May also try jacobsburg. Will post results.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We got here yesterday. Was raining most of today so I rode to gouldsboro state park and tobyhanna sate park. Gouldsboro - nothing but paved roads open to bikes. Tobyhanna- very tame gravel path that goes around lake. Bottom line - neither are good for MTb. But 30 miles on the road getting there and back so wasn't a complete waste :) Gonna do Lackawanna state park and Merlin sarnowski and/or moosic. May also try jacobsburg. Will post results.

Moosic is super rocky for the most part & i believe you don't like those rocky things much. I'll add from experience that the 2nd half (after the fern decent) it gets kinda spooky riding by yourself. Lackawanna is a better bet. Lots of people around this time of the year & while somewhat rocky in sections, not in the same league as Moosic. Just avoid the cult area that Matty told me about.

wonderturtle

Moosic is super rocky for the most part & i believe you don't like those rocky things much. I'll add from experience that the 2nd half (after the fern decent) it gets kinda spooky riding by yourself. Lackawanna is a better bet. Lots of people around this time of the year & while somewhat rocky in sections, not in the same league as Moosic. Just avoid the cult area that Matty told me about.

You are right about me not liking rocky tech stuff. But I figured "when in Rome".

Thx for the input. based on what you posted...I'll start with Lackawanna and see if that gives me a good enuff taste of pocono mtbing.

if lackawanna isn't quite "enough out of my comfort zone" I'll try Merli.... seems less rocky than moosic and from vids on youtube seems really pretty.

On another note ... Saw my first bear while mtbing today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom