Moving to NJ?

TommyF

Welcome!

Move to Boonton, take train. A little over your hour, but not a lot?

Ride tourne and wildcat. Good food.

There are bike commute options if you are brave.
^^^^ Agree with this one, Boonton is a hidden gem, great town, train station and you've got Rt 80 & 287 within minutes to get anywhere. Bike ride up to the Tourne for mtb plus you have Split Rock reservation up in the township and Wildcat Ridge in Rockaway with a great trail network. Home run !!!

Reactions: M-J

iLuveketchup

Personally If I was your shoes and only looking to rent, I’d be looking at tarrytown/sleepy hollow and dobbs ferry area. (NY not NJ).
IMO the Hudson line is more dependable than Jersey transit and grand central is much better than penn station. My wife commuted for a few years through penn and couldn’t handle it anymore. The commute time wasn’t terrible but that station is like going to a terrible airport twice a day. And then the fight to get to your track is ludicrous. They call your track and if you don’t run and elbow people down a narrow escalator you’ll miss your train.
Westchester has some great riding spots (blue mountain, graham hills, sprain, tarrytown lakes) and is still close to the north Jersey stuff. And the road riding is good and there’s some actual gravel to be found.
100% this.

Do whatever you can do avoid a bus ride into the Big Apple. Rail or subway is the way to go.

THATmanMANNY

I think we scared him away.
Honestly, this is kind of crazy to say but if heaven is real, NJ has is a little slice of heaven. No yearly natural disasters YET
Good luck @M-J ! You know you could move down to the jersey shore and fulfill your dreams of boating but you’ll be a long shot from tech riding. I hear buses from Tom’s river are good but avoid any Friday NYC commutes.
62726A4C-ECAC-4E9E-B335-E9491F5BDF54.jpeg

M-J

M-J

This. There is also great riding in neighboring PA, NY and CT, each doable as day trips. Added bonus: unlike in California, the riding here is 99.9% in the shade (should you care about too much sun exposure, like I do) 😉
I only ride early in the morning while it's still foggy. I can't handle the sun anymore and I'm tired of my dermatologist cutting me up.

M-J

Personally If I was your shoes and only looking to rent, I’d be looking at tarrytown/sleepy hollow and dobbs ferry area. (NY not NJ).
IMO the Hudson line is more dependable than Jersey transit and grand central is much better than penn station. My wife commuted for a few years through penn and couldn’t handle it anymore. The commute time wasn’t terrible but that station is like going to a terrible airport twice a day. And then the fight to get to your track is ludicrous. They call your track and if you don’t run and elbow people down a narrow escalator you’ll miss your train.
Westchester has some great riding spots (blue mountain, graham hills, sprain, tarrytown lakes) and is still close to the north Jersey stuff. And the road riding is good and there’s some actual gravel to be found.
Thanks. I'm looking there as well, but thought I'd really get roasted by this group if I asked for advice on NY.

M-J

I think we scared him away.
Honestly, this is kind of crazy to say but if heaven is real, NJ has is a little slice of heaven. No yearly natural disasters YET
Good luck @M-J ! You know you could move down to the jersey shore and fulfill your dreams of boating but you’ll be a long shot from tech riding. I hear buses from Tom’s river are good but avoid any Friday NYC commutes.
Still here - just crazy busy. Can't scare me away yet, but some are trying to with the talk about ticks.

M-J

Hey M,
Glad you took my advice and posted here, all good people. Will be good to see you again after what, 40 some years??. If you ever need a place to stay for the weekend when your checking out the east feel free to stay with us if you don't mind 2 dogs.
Neil
Yes, good suggestion to post here. Nice rowdy crowd. Maybe we can connect at the MTB event in Sep.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can't scare me away yet, but some are trying to with the talk about ticks.

Don't worry about the ticks. Use bug spray and check yourself after rides. It's really not a big deal. They are spreading everywhere and will basically be nationwide in a few more years anyway 😜

M-J

I just wanted to thank everyone again for the advice. I spent the past weekend driving around NY and NJ checking out most of the towns in this post. I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked most of the recommended places. The cool, overcast weather was also a nice change for me (back to 90 deg the rest of the week in CA). I even stopped at the Blue Mountain and Graham Hills trailheads, although I didn't have time to ride. Next I need to scrutinize transit options/times, along with rental availability and cost.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I just wanted to thank everyone again for the advice. I spent the past weekend driving around NY and NJ checking out most of the towns in this post. I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked most of the recommended places. The cool, overcast weather was also a nice change for me (back to 90 deg the rest of the week in CA). I even stopped at the Blue Mountain and Graham Hills trailheads, although I didn't have time to ride. Next I need to scrutinize transit options/times, along with rental availability and cost.
Did you get pizza with pork role and pineapple? It's the local delicacy.

M-J

Did you get pizza with pork role and pineapple? It's the local delicacy.
No but I did go to a deli that had about 20 or more sandwich options, and they all came with a chicken cutlet. Never saw that before, but it was good.

Top Bottom