Name some good vehicles to consider

one piece crank

I'm a little disillusioned with the current market. I have literally owned just about every class of vehicle, and all across the price spectrum (within reasonable limitation, naturally). We drive our every day vehicles for 15-20 years, so they need to be well-built and practical. I have daily-driven Classics for years, so not tied to bells and whistles. I have and ALWAYS will own a 3rd (or 4th) carburetted vehicle. That spot is currently filled with my 1965 ex-military Land Rover, which also supports the the 4x4 and zombie apocalypse roles, and is something I will never part with. I like permanent 4WD and think I need it, but do I? With all manner of truck-ish (and I use that term loosely as I do not need a PU) and electric vehicles pushing $80k+, I'm feeling ripped-off and, well, rather cheap.

So, let's talk... are there any true values in the car market?

Captain Brainstorm

VW GTI, generation MK7. Does everything really well and is pretty much no frills. Reasonably priced, quick, handles really well, can carry stuff, will get you 30+ mpg even with racks. The 2.0 motor is pretty solid, iron block, they've been making it forever. If you can find the generation MK7.5 it comes with the big brakes and trick LSD from the Golf R.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think outbacks (subaru wagon family in general....impreza, forrester) are a good value. The used market is still all F'd up right now...but usually you can find certified pre-owned outbacks for 25-30k....I bought my wifes 2019 3.6R limited for 24K a couple of years ago with 28,000 miles...and they gave me 0.9% financing and a 7 year warranty.

JerseyPete

I think you need to give more parameters like @Patrick did with the Queen wants a red convertible. I assume this will be a daily driver, so how many miles are being put on it and is fuel economy a constraint? You mentioned 4WD, no doubt you know the difference between 4WD and AWD. Is AWD an option? What other things would be nice or must have?

one piece crank

@JerseyPete - no constraints, just looking for outside input - AWD/4WD/RWD/FWD all good. If it's bigger (size) it can fill multiple roles, if it's smaller then I would think it's good for commute/efficiency. I have no preconceived MPG goals/requirements. I was considering a new larger SUV, but second-guessing that much $$. We will need to replace a 2011/33mpg vehicle in the next few years, so all of this goes toward forming a better plan.

Last edited:

JerseyPete

You can never go wrong with a Tacoma. They last forever and do a lot.
A friend of mine has a RAV4 hybrid and gets 50+ MPG. @rick81721 can speak about the Highlander hybrid.
Rarely hear bad things about Toyota.
I have a Honda Ridgeline and it does what I need it for. I wish the bed were a little longer though. The trunk under the bed is great for additional space and the two way tailgate comes in handy.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
My wife and I just purchased Subarus. I have a 6sp 2023 crosstrek with a few options but not much os offered on the final year for manual transmissions....
it's a nice compact crossover though.

My wife has a 2022 Forester Wilderness. This one has all the options and is really nice to drive.

Last edited:

xc62701

I bought my Kia Telluride EX in 2020. I wanted something bigger for family road trips and it definitely fits the bill. Decent gas mileage with on demand AWD. The technology package is new for me as it has adaptive cruise control and lane following (which most times I have off). It wasn't too pricey considering what's out there and always gets good reviews.

one piece crank

One thing I hate about modern vehicles is crap like auto start/stop. It would have to be defeatable.

Both my sons have Crosstreks, one CVT and one 6spd. I really like this vehicle. I did have to get a $99 auto stop eliminator for the CVT.

Fire Lord Jim

Let me second the Tacoma suggestion. I bought it new in 2011 and at 12 years old is still worth 60-70% of purchase price. I'd call that value.
Fory other drive, I bought into Hagerty's thinking that buying a soon to be collectible car gives me a fun driver which goes up, not down in value. Hagerty frequently publishes it's list of soon to be collectible cars.

ekuhn

SUV I would get a 4 runner all day. We have some at work that have had over 300k before we tossed em. They hold their value unless you can scoop a good deal.

Pickup would be a Tundra or F150.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
get over it.
lift foot off brake/reapply if the first person at a traffic light.
otherwise doesn't matter.

Blair

Speaking of auto stop, I’m currently renting a Chevy Malibu and when I stop at a light the engine stops and I’m like ok this thing has auto stop. when the light turns green it restarts before I could get my foot off the brake. I’m thinking there’s some kind of light sensor now?

Other than that I’d recommend the Maybach GLS

Top Bottom