Need cassette recommendation

drabina

I have 2019 Marin B-17 bike that's currently setup with SRAM NX 11-Speed rear derailleur and SunRace 11-Speed 11-42T cassette. I would like to get 50T at the top end so I need recommendations for a cassette that will be compatible. I am fine losing the bottom end (i.e. going from 11T to 12T) as I never really use it. The rear hub is: Formula, 148x12mm, Quad Sealed Bearings, Centerlock Disc, 32H. I do have 28T chainring.

I am assuming that the chain would also need replacement. I guess any 11 speed chain is fine?

Are there any issues that I should be concerned with like rear derailleur length to cover the larger 50T ring?

ebarker9

I have 2019 Marin B-17 bike that's currently setup with SRAM NX 11-Speed rear derailleur and SunRace 11-Speed 11-42T cassette. I would like to get 50T at the top end so I need recommendations for a cassette that will be compatible. I am fine losing the bottom end (i.e. going from 11T to 12T) as I never really use it. The rear hub is: Formula, 148x12mm, Quad Sealed Bearings, Centerlock Disc, 32H. I do have 28T chainring.

I am assuming that the chain would also need replacement. I guess any 11 speed chain is fine?

Are there any issues that I should be concerned with like rear derailleur length to cover the larger 50T ring?

Looks like there's a limit of 42T with that derailleur (and I think all SRAM 11 speed derailleurs). Bit of discussion here:

There are probably some other workarounds (I've seen longer cage adapters), but you could potentially do:

-1x11 Shimano XT drivetrain which would allow up to a 46t large cog
-Sram Eagle 1x12, NX setup (believe this one still allows the use of a HG hub)

Edit: This company makes a replacement cage to allow greater capacity.

Last edited:

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would price out a GX Eagle 12 speed shifter and derailleur, and 12 speed.NX cassette (will fit on your freehub I think). You’ll also need a 12 speed chain.
This will for sure be the best performance at budget.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Im a proponent for microshift advent x
A complete groupset is $160
11-46 match that with a 30t chainring and you have the selection you need in a 10speed. Stronger chain less finicky derailleur problems. You wont feel bad replacing $65 rear derailleur.

ebarker9

I would price out a GX Eagle 12 speed shifter and derailleur, and 12 speed.NX cassette (will fit on your freehub I think). You’ll also need a 12 speed chain.
This will for sure be the best performance at budget.

That's what I would do as well. Once you start adding up the prices to do the 11 speed conversion, it probably makes sense just to go all in and update to 12 speed, but using the NX cassette to avoid having to swap out a freehub body (on a hub where it's probably challenging to find a replacement) or new wheel.

Microshift also looks like an interesting option.

drabina

Thanks guys. The GX Eagle 12 speed is probably a bit over the budget as initially I was just thinking of replacing the cassette. The microShift looks good though. $160 for the whole kit is not bad. I would probably need to replace my chainring though as the 28T one I have is 11/12 speed compatible and the microShift is 10-speed.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Might be a oneUp kit like

With a goat link?
I don't think they've made that in years.

@drabina I have no experience with it, but that Microshift seems like the way to go. Your chain ring would probably work fine if it works with 11 speed.

28T front and 50T rear is going to be pretty spinny. Front chain rings are pretty inexpensive.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I don't think they've made that in years.

@drabina I have no experience with it, but that Microshift seems like the way to go. Your chain ring would probably work fine if it works with 11 speed.

28T front and 50T rear is going to be pretty spinny. Front chain rings are pretty inexpensive.

I'll look in my bin....

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would probably need to replace my chainring though as the 28T one I have is 11/12 speed compatible and the microShift is 10-speed.
That chainring will work, that was how i had my fatbike setup with a 28t and microshift.
You want the lighter weight cassette and pro shifter. That MS groupset right there is lighter then the xt 12 speed.

drabina

Would that be the correct microSHIFT kit (11-48T)?

Another option would be this one (11-50T):

snashters

If your current cassette still has plenty of life left you could look at changing to a smaller chainring and keeping your existing cassette and derailleur.

drabina

If your current cassette still has plenty of life left you could look at changing to a smaller chainring and keeping your existing cassette and derailleur.
I already did that going from 30T to 28T. I guess I could try to find 26T chainring.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Would that be the correct microSHIFT kit (11-48T)?
Thats the right one.
For anyone the advent x also comes with a full steel cassette and single digit shifter for ebikes.
I will be getting a new bike and stripping the xt 12sp drivetrain immediately for the advent x, thats how much i like it. No experience with the box components.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thats the right one.
For anyone the advent x also comes with a full steel cassette and single digit shifter for ebikes.
I will be getting a new bike and stripping the xt 12sp drivetrain immediately for the advent x, thats how much i like it. No experience with the box components.
Any idea if the new Shimano Linkglide derailleur/shifter works with the Advent X or other Shimano derailleur/shifter combos?

serviceguy

Might be a oneUp kit like

With a goat link?
Done and done. There's also a Shark 10T cluster to go with it (several of them actually, I ordered one from a bike shop and the guy dumped all the clusters he had in stock on me) but it requires a specific DT swiss freehub or a Hope Cassette freehub. I love nerding over these now obscure components...
shark10T.jpg

DTSwissMiniDrive.JPG

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any idea if the new Shimano Linkglide derailleur/shifter works with the Advent X or other Shimano derailleur/shifter combos?
Havent really looked into the linkglide though seeing some new ebikes starting to spec their bikes with it. I still think its still a slow roll out.

serviceguy

They changed the shifter progression to linear and it's supposed to be not compatible with the old 10/11 speed hyperglide, you need new shifter, rear derailleur and cassette (if I understood the selling pitch correctly). I'm not familiar with Advent X...

I've been curious to run a linkglide set on the fat bike but could not source all of the components so I decided to lurk in the shadow, waiting to see what happens...I really don't need another standard to deal with.

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com?acid=C-432&cid=C-432

Last edited:

Karate Monkey

They changed the shifter progression to linear and it's supposed to be not compatible with the old 10/11 speed hyperglide, you need new shifter, rear derailleur and cassette (if I understood the selling pitch correctly). I'm not familiar with Advent X...

I've been curious to run a linkglide set on the fat bike but could not source all of the components so I decided to lurk in the shadow, waiting to see what happens...I really don't need another standard to deal with.

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com?acid=C-432&cid=C-432

It's not really commercially available yet. CUES (the replacement for everything 'not performance') is the real rollout for it, and it won't be widely available until later in the year; it's expected to be a largely OEM thing. Eventually it will be available, but since they're not banking on selling it to customers directly, they don't really have much incentive to get it out the door quickly (same thing with XT Linkglide...largely meant for selling OEM on ebikes).

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's not really commercially available yet. CUES (the replacement for everything 'not performance') is the real rollout for it, and it won't be widely available until later in the year; it's expected to be a largely OEM thing. Eventually it will be available, but since they're not banking on selling it to customers directly, they don't really have much incentive to get it out the door quickly (same thing with XT Linkglide...largely meant for selling OEM on ebikes).
Yeah, I was really thinking the more normal older stuff.

IE, can you pair a 10 or 11 speed Shimano derailleur, 10 speed Shimano shifter w/ Microshift wide-range cassette?

For those that may want a nicer or more typical shifter/derailleur...

Top Bottom