New Cromwell Trails at Chimney Rock

TonyK

Any one riding this new section of Chimney Rock? New trails are at the old Camp Cromwell. Trails are built but still some construction ongoing. Word on the trails is official opening by Bridgewater Township is Fall 2023. There's some nice flow trails in there and lots of beginner level trails and easy connection to Vosseller Trail head.

Attachments

• Cromwell2.jpg
    Cromwell2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 203
  • CromwellTrails_Apr14-2023.jpg
    CromwellTrails_Apr14-2023.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 213

Nolabean

Any one riding this new section of Chimney Rock? New trails are at the old Camp Cromwell. Trails are built but still some construction ongoing. Word on the trails is official opening by Bridgewater Township is Fall 2023. There's some nice flow trails in there and lots of beginner level trails and easy connection to Vosseller Trail head.
I just used them as a connection point between trails the other day. I was a little sketched out by the keep out signs but didn’t really stop to read them. They seem nice and flowy and new. I think they will work best for a connection between trails for the most part. I did not do all of them according to your pic anyway.

TonyK

I just used them as a connection point between trails the other day. I was a little sketched out by the keep out signs but didn’t really stop to read them. They seem nice and flowy and new. I think they will work best for a connection between trails for the most part. I did not do all of them according to your pic anyway.
the "keep out" signs were for the Deer Culling which ended in Feb.

TonyK

Full disclosure. I swiped this photo from a Strava post.

rlb

I don't want to re-appear on the scene then just step onto my high horse, but....

Is there any signage posted stating the trails are either opened or closed?

IMO if these trails are not open yet this is not a great start for (as far as I can tell) Bridgewater's first trail system. Particularly if there are "keep out" signs, regardless of when they were put up.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't want to re-appear on the scene then just step onto my high horse, but....

Is there any signage posted stating the trails are either opened or closed?

IMO if these trails are not open yet this is not a great start for (as far as I can tell) Bridgewater's first trail system. Particularly if there are "keep out" signs, regardless of when they were put up.

The keep out signs were for the deer culling. There’s no indication that the trails are closed. In fact, the trail from Vosseler is done and seems to suggest that they are certainly not closed to the public.

That said I have ridden them. I only rode to them.

SAM

Might not be officially open yet, but a "Name Me" trail appeared in Trailforks.

Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 10.33.23 AM.png

SAM

Interesting. What's it like over there - similar to the closest trails (yellow)?
Or, are they more like Black, which connects to the Cromwell trails. Totally different than Yellow. Maybe a little in-between? I'll have to go check them out.

TonyK

Interesting. What's it like over there - similar to the closest trails (yellow)?
these trails are built on ~150 acre plot that is on a hillside so you have trails down and trails up. there is one big loop that is fine gravel (likely will be paved eventually?) and there are other trails that weave across and parallel to the gravel loop.See the map I posted at the top of this thread. there's lots of nice flow to it and only a few technical spots with one little ravine crossing with a stream running through it. The single track is mostly clear of thorn bushes like we have elsewhere at CR so that's good. lots of beginner trails a small amount of intermediate. there's a lot of small rock garden trails, but not chunky. The trails need some break in for sure. Lastly, it's mostly woods and there will be gnats galore in the warm weather. Hope this helps those wondering.

TonyK

Or, are they more like Black, which connects to the Cromwell trails. Totally different than Yellow. Maybe a little in-between? I'll have to go check them out.
not like most of black which is loaded up with thorn bushes on the Vosseller side. but yes like the rollercoaster side of black.

Reactions: SAM

TonyK

If your Cromwell ride covers the gravel trail, and everything else it's about 6 miles total and about 600 ft elevation gain. so if you're looking for a 10 mile ride you need to also ride yellow or orange, etc. there's a direct connection to black trail at the lower Vosseller trail head, street connection to Gilbride and a street connection to Miller lane. all pleasant connections offering good variety!

Nolabean

If your Cromwell ride covers the gravel trail, and everything else it's about 6 miles total and about 600 ft elevation gain. so if you're looking for a 10 mile ride you need to also ride yellow or orange, etc. there's a direct connection to black trail at the lower Vosseller trail head, street connection to Gilbride and a street connection to Miller lane. all pleasant connections offering good variety!
Yeah I did high tech and orange and some yellow I truly just rode thru to cross and check it out. For me it seems like a nice way to get to the other side or back to miller lot if I want to go on the road for a hot second, but otherwise it really is just flowy not a must ride spot.
Thanks for who mentioned deer culling sign, I still feel mixed riding if it’s not done. 👍

TonyK

Swipped these nice photos off of someone elses Strava ride. There's nice aster flower field one one trail and the town build a nice cedar sign station.

Attachments

• Cromwell_aster.jpg
    Cromwell_aster.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Cromwell2.jpg
    Cromwell2.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 128

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions