New Double Black Trail @ Blue Mountain - Peekskill, NY

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well... that probably not a bad thing. Some of us will read this and go, "Yeah! I gotta ride here!" with some assumption they have experience on very technical natural trails and others will think, "Eh... maybe not..." Personally, I'm envisioning something similar to the "push trails" at the Shed down in Fredrick, MD.
Here’s a question…what is the general consensus as to what constitutes a “technical trail?” For me, it’s flat or uphill tech. Trails like Tigers Blood and Black Magic have virtually no elevation but they are hard as fuck. I have cleaned them both but it’s super rare. With the bikes we have today I feel like it’s an overstatement to call certain downhill trails technical just because there are some rocks. I guess my point is one person can say this is the gnarliest trail ever, but another person is daily riding trails that would make it look like a cake walk. I always take a grain of salt when someone says they found a super tech downhill. I have no problem throwing the bike over my shoulders and basically rock climbing to get to the gnar, but it’s gotta be worth it.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Here’s a question…what is the general consensus as to what constitutes a “technical trail?” For me, it’s flat or uphill tech. Trails like Tigers Blood and Black Magic have virtually no elevation but they are hard as fuck. I have cleaned them both but it’s super rare. With the bikes we have today I feel like it’s an overstatement to call certain downhill trails technical just because there are some rocks. I guess my point is one person can say this is the gnarliest trail ever, but another person is daily riding trails that would make it look like a cake walk. I always take a grain of salt when someone says they found a super tech downhill. I have no problem throwing the bike over my shoulders and basically rock climbing to get to the gnar, but it’s gotta be worth it.
this is a harder question to answer than politics . just stay moderate

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

You answer your own question here. This is the same as everything. As a parallel, ask me what makes a good cup of coffee versus other people. How can something like that be objective?

Ian F

It'll depend on the rider and their perspective and experience. I had a similar conversation yesterday looking at the TrailForks map for Brandywine. One of my friends thought some of the blue trails should be blacks, but after riding them I disagreed. While they were tricky in spots, they were not severe consequence trails. Conversely, some of the black natural trails at Mtn Creek will have severe consequences if you mess up and it doesn't matter what kind of bike you're riding, even a full-on DH bike.

In the case of the trail in the OP, I feel he has enough experience to say whether or not the trail justifies a "black" rating or not.

Coming from a DH racing history, "black" trails to me are generally very steep and rocky with a line that will be hard to see and even harder to hold. Some of the aforementioned "push trails" at the Shed (unfortunately, most are now closed), we built/cut as pro-level DH training runs. I can ride most of them, but there are some with sections that I look at and remember I'm a long way from both a hospital and from home and need to go to work on Monday... They are as steep and consequential as any of the double-black trails at Mtn Creek.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Just to clarify, On Your Marc is a double black “XC” trail. You are supposed to ride the whole thing. If you have the fitness to clear the climbs, you then need the skill to nail the steep rolllers and technical descents. It’s not a trail that you typically shuttle because the descents are mixed with punchy climbs. I personally think it lacks flow. If I had a mid-travel eBike then it would be a different story.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I personally think it lacks flow.

1677086388014.gif

Top Bottom